ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

field for middle name/initial

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/14/11 10:45 PM Views: 1246 Replies: 6
Friday, January 14, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Is there a way to add a field on the contact page to accept middle or nick names or initials?
I imagine the basic member individual data can't be changed.
But we have people who would like to separate their middle names/initials and add a nick name in a separate filed.

Thanks

Sunday, January 16, 2011 at 11:23 AM - Response #1

We had some classmates who changed their name completely. Like John is now Jay. For those we put John "Jay" for his first name. Works great!

Monday, January 17, 2011 at 1:21 PM - Response #2

Ted - Ann's answer is the only real good option for now. Another option for this is on the future development ideas list, way behind other big improvements we are working on. So, for now, I think this is your best bet.

Saturday, January 18, 2014 at 12:21 AM - Response #3

I would like to see a field for middle name also. We have several members who actually go by their middle name, but like to have their first name recognized, too. Also, some classes have more than one person with the same name who are only distinguished by a different middle name and/or initial. This should be a top priority because it seems like a big oversight to me. Thanks -- Carl

Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 11:08 AM - Response #4

I agree that this field is essential. A successful reunion or web site starts with finding and remaining in contact with classmates.
In past years people were forced in school to go under their middle name as there was already a person in the class by the same name. Eg if there was already a Mary Smith in the class, the teachers forced one of the persons to go by their middle name. Eg Jane Smith Another example is where the classmate was named after say their mother Mary so to avoid confusion the child went by their middle name Jane. Later in life this poses a problem on passports, visa cards, voters lists etc so the person is now going by their actual first name Mary

Provide fields for recording full legal names e.g. Mary Jane Smith helps when searching for people Eg in obits, others lists, news papers, Facebook, LinkedIn etc.

Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 11:58 AM - Response #5

Where this was the case in our class site, we simply added the name they went by at the time in quotes. For example Mary Jane Smith would be listed with a first name of Mary "Jane" and a maiden name of Smith. Same thing for those who went by a nickname back then.

Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 6:01 PM - Response #6

I think adding in an additional field for the middle name or initial is unnecessary.

Right now, for the few instances where you have duplicate first and last names, you can add an initial, middle name, or nickname in the First Name field. Example:

First Name: Jane A.
Last/Maiden Name: Rogers
Married Last Name: Jones

Edited 01/07/19 1:56 AM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.