ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Scanning Yearbook Pages/Senior Photos

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/12/13 04:24 PM Views: 1325 Replies: 6
Friday, July 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I started to scan senior photos from our yearbook. Page one of the photos contain about 18 photos -- I extracted each of the photos from the page and saved to hard drive. Upload to Classmate Profiles page thru ADMIN rites went perfectly: pictures are clear. As I scanned Page 2, the photos started to be grainy like the dpi was at issue. I used the same resolution on both -- 200. I used my trusty ol' HP C4200 scanner. I have used it recently for two massive church projects, several family reunion and previous class reunion events. What's the problem? What am I doing wrong?? The photos look "plaid-y." Also, I note that Pg 1's size is 9.63mb, Pg 2 (same # pics) is only 691kb. Pages uploaded contained alphabets A through Brandon. Desperate.

Friday, July 12, 2013 at 7:33 PM - Response #1

I did mine, after cropping, at about 250 x 175, or so. The 250 was the base, ie., just the ratio. They looked like what you described. But once in the actual profile, they were just fine. Ken

Friday, July 12, 2013 at 9:19 PM - Response #2

Ruth I had the same story, they looked plaid-y. It has to do with resolution and I do not know enough to tell you how to cure the problem. If you go to our site you will see the birthdays for July all plaid-y looking. The password is, Youngstown, all small case.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 9:40 AM - Response #3

Not sure if this is helpful, but this article talks about the "Moire" effect that you are seeing:
http://www.scantips.com/basics6.html
http://www.scantips.com/basics6b.html

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 at 6:11 PM - Response #4

I finally got past the "plaid-y" effect on page 2 of my yearbook photos. Now my problem is one picture that appears to be stuck in a previous upload. Even though I deleted the former picture (classmate, Danny Bell); when I attempt to upload the newly-cropped picture that is resolution 600 dpi, just like the others with a pixel dimension of 123x175 -- the former picture continues to show up. I have tried everything -- I've renamed the file to make sure I have the right one. I have also gone back to check the yearbook photo full page. I know for a fact that my "new" upload is cropped to only show the classmate's photo. The previous upload that is showing "plaid-y" still, has a little piece of the adjacent photo cropped on to it. This is not the picture I have ready for upload. Sorry brevity has no place in this message.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM - Response #5

It might just be a browser cache issue. I viewed the photo and it looked fine. If you have another browser loaded, try viewing the photo with that browser. If it shows up differently, you know that the first browser has the old photo cached.

Or you could just try clearing your browser's cache and see if that fixes the problem OR if you are viewing that classmate's profile, just do a RELOAD/REFRESH menu option and it will force the single page to reload.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 at 7:50 PM - Response #6

I am absolutely delighted. Did a refresh and voila! Thanks a mil. Now it's back to uploading. Could not figure that out.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.