ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Economic Impact of Class Reunions?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/07/10 12:49 PM Views: 1745 Replies: 6
Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Does anyone have any links or documentation on the economic impact of class reunions to a local community?

Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM - Response #1

John:

Do you really think a high school reunion is going to have a major impact on a community? A hotel/catering facility and a few restaurants will be happy for a weekend.

We're not talking about the Superbowl or the World Series.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM - Response #2

Wow!
That is an interesting question, for which I do NOT have an answer, but simply a thought.
Ask classmates when they come to 'check in' at the reunion, to put on a piece of paper the amount of money they think they will be spending, and have them fold it over, and put in a jar with a slot. After the reunion, someone can add 'em up.

Just curious as to why you want to know, though I TOO would like to know. I will put that on the back burner for consideration for our next reunion

I think we had about 125-150 folks stay in local hotels, and we provided only two 'meals' for those attending, and had activities beginning on Friday night, and concluded after a 'church service' on Sunday, so I sure there was some effect on an area of about 50,000 population.

Edited 08/07/10 3:19 PM
Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 3:46 PM - Response #3

Andy Krauser wrote:

John: Do you really think a high school reunion is going to have a major impact on a community? A hotel/catering facility and a few restaurants will be happy for a weekend. We're not talking about the Superbowl or the World Series.

Everything is relative Andy. Town of 35,000 with a reunion of maybe 400 spending $200 each for tickets, lodging, gas, etc. totals $80,000 - that works through the local ecomony a few times -- the restaurant buys meat; the wholesaler buys from the slaughterhouse, etc. locally -- and it adds up to some impact.

Here's the only article I found via Google: CLICK HERE
Quote:

Roughly 1,000 High School Alumni and $747,290 Come to Beaumont for Hebert High School and Central High School Reunions, Both Taking Place June 16-20, 2010
from the Beaumont TX article.

Steve I want to know because I'm working on an article for the local paper about our 50th Reunion -- all the planning going into it, the website (YES!), the missing class members (Help us find them), the events we're planning, etc.

Last weekend three different high schools held reunions in the same town.

Super Bowl? Big impact on four towns (the two teams, the host city and Las Vegas). High School reunions? Maybe the cumulative impact across the country is bigger than the Super Bowl. Something to look into. Wink

Edited 08/07/10 4:20 PM
Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 4:57 PM - Response #4

John,
It truly is relative. My town is 24,000. Last weekend we had an All-School Reunion. About 800 attended -- probably half that number were out-of-towners and most stayed two nights. We have 6 motels which were all full. Individual classes held luncheons on Saturday at every place in town that served food. So, I know it was an economic boon, just don't know how much.

Sandy

Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 5:31 PM - Response #5

I think this is an important question - and something to consider when asking for concessions or special "pricing" from hotels, local stores, etc. We will be using a local photographer, local DJ, local etc., etc., etc., besides the hotel and catering services.
This was a great topic to add to our discussion at our upcoming Annual Reunion Committee Meeting in November. Thanks!

Saturday, August 7, 2010 at 9:54 PM - Response #6

Thanks John!
I like statistics and such, but I sometimes get carried away with them.
It would be interesting to see if your local Chamber of Commerce has any idea how many 'bucks' are brought into the area by such a group.
I don't think the general public realize just how much money a couple of hundred people can bring into a community over the course of a weekend.

[I'd like to see your article when it gets published! Might give me some ideas for our next one!]

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.