Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

"Filter box" at top of Classmate profile page

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/12/13 08:22 PM Views: 814 Replies: 7
Wednesday, June 12, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Hi!

For those who have not yet joined the site:
I am wondering if there is a way to display the "Classmate Profiles" page, BUT to make the box of filters (Profiles updated since your last visit, User created a profile, profile contains photos, Attending reunion, In Memory, etc) hidden unless/until a classmate has joined the site and is logged in.

I don't really want to password protect the page, but I have heard some concerns regarding various potential issues with the information displayed by clicking on a filter. For example, identity theft of those who have passed, or people being able to see that someone might not be at home during the reunion, etc.

My response is that our only option is to write to you to see if this can be done, or to completely password protect the page, which I am not sure I want to do.

Thanks!

Lynn Schneider
AD Eisenhower Class of 73

Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM - Response #1

Hi Lynn,

You have control over both of these items:

1) Edit your In Memory page. At the top of the page there's a setting to turn off showing deceased classmates in your Classmate Profiles key. The ** will still appear next to the classmates' names, but the item in the key will be removed thus there will be no reference to what ** actually means. Although, it's still pretty easy to click around on the names and figure out who is deceased. The only sure fire way of not showing who is deceased is to remove those names from your class list entirely.

2) You can turn off the "attending reunion" icon. Go into your Profile Generator, scroll to the very bottom, and deactivate the "attending reunion" question. This will deactivate the question from your Classmate Profiles page as well as remove all the attending reunion icons from the Classmate Profiles page.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 7:15 PM - Response #2

Thanks...

Let me clarify just a little bit...

The classmates that have joined the site want to be able to see these features - who is attending the reunion and the in memory page. But they don't want everyone in the world (people who have not joined the site) to see them.

We have the classmates profile set so that non-members can see it, and then if they click on their name, they get a screen telling them how to join. I think this setting is preferable to password-protecting that page, so we were wondering if there is a way to hide the features in the box from NON-members of the site, while allowing the people who have joined the site to see it.

Is that possible?

Thanks!

Lynn

Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 7:31 PM - Response #3

This might be what you are looking for. If you password protect the Classmate Profiles page, but keep the Missing Classmates non-password protected, the when classmates wanting to join click the JOIN HERE button on the home page, it takes them to the Missing Classmates page to sign up and click their name.

Does that work for your circumstances?

Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM - Response #4

That sounds like it might work... Worth a try for sure!

I know where I need to go to password protect the Classmates Profiles page, but where do I go and what do I do to keep the Missing Classmates non-password protected?

Thanks Kyle!

Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM - Response #5

I think I figured it out...
I forgot that "missing classmates" was its own page!
Smile

Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM - Response #6

I tried out your page and it looks like it worked.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 8:05 PM - Response #7

Yes it did! Thank you! I think that will help to make everyone happy... Smile

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.