ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Uploading thumbnails

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/13/13 11:31 AM Views: 1504 Replies: 24
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I need to upload a bunch of small pics (thumbnails) to a folder that can be referenced in a java script. I can't use Gallery creator because it renames the pics. When I try to use the File Vault Browser, I can only upload one pic at a time. Any ideas?

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM - Response #1

I just confirmed everything you just said. So it looks like either you do all of your uploads at once through the Gallery Creator and spend a little time gathering your image path names, or you painstakingly upload one at a time. I guess it all depends on how many images you are talking about here. I suppose your other choice would be to host the images at a 3rd party site such as Flickr or Picasa and point your image paths to that location.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 12:01 PM - Response #2

Isn't there a way to do multiple file uploads in the File Browser? How hard would that be to enable that?

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM - Response #3

Given the current project work load and limited resources, I can say that I don't think we can address this one right away. However, I certainly understand the need here and I will forward this suggestion for when we do work on upgrades to the file vault.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM - Response #4

Scott, thanks for your reply. You could really help me out here. Is there any way that I could get admin ftp access to my Uploads folder - http://www.springville72.com/uploads (where yearbook photo's are stored)?

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM - Response #5

We do not provide ftp access. We could certainly consider that for a future development, however.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM - Response #6

Can that folder at least be made browseable so I can see the pics and their respective filenames? Please...

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 1:13 PM - Response #7

Possibly, but in the meantime, you can download the yearbook photos from the Manage Classmates page to see what ones are there.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 1:20 PM - Response #8

I don't need the pics... I need the names... that they were renamed to upon upload... This would be extremely helpful for a project I'm working on.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 1:57 PM - Response #9

Are you saying you want the Yearbook Photo NAMES? If so, you can get this by going to your Classmate Profiles page and clicking the SHOW YEARBOOK PHOTOS button, then using the browser VIEW PAGE SOURCE button.

I might be wrong, but the "uploads" directory you are talking about isn't specific to your class, it is EVERY CLASS CREATOR class. The filenames in that directory all begin with "012382_" for your website (your internal school code) and contain the classmate's member ID number (for example, the yearbook photo for Brad Allan is http://www.springville72.com/uploads/012382_02320434_Allan_Brad.jpg). Brad Allan's member ID is "02320434"

Your domain name doesn't distinguish "your" uploads directory because http://www.springville72.com/uploads/012382_02320434_Allan_Brad.jpg is exactly the same as http://www.classcreator.com/uploads/012382_02320434_Allan_Brad.jpg (try pasting them both in the browser URL and you will get the exact same results)

The Gallery photos don't seem to be stored in the "uploads" directory you are talking about. Try moving the mouse over one of the photos and clicking the right mouse button and choosing "VIEW IMAGE INFO" and you will see the location of the files.

I don't know if this helps you any.

What is the "secret project" you are trying to do?

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM - Response #10

Hi Kyle,

No "secret project".. I'm simply trying to use the already uploaded yearbook pics to do a slideshow. Brad already discussed several ways to do this, but they each have their limitations in what I'm trying to do. Let me ask you this.. is there anyway for me to upload stylesheets (.css) or javascripts (.js)? ... which I would then call from my html page.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:02 PM - Response #11

Yes, you can upload them using the LINK icon in the editor, and then just write the appropriate HTML to reference them on the page.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 5:29 PM - Response #12

Thanks, Eric. So, if I created a directory structure, would it look like this when I call it from the page?

http://www.springville72.com/engine/css

Thursday, February 14, 2013 at 9:08 AM - Response #13

I think it would be this prefix:

/000/2/8/3/12382/userfiles/file/engine/css

Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM - Response #14

I looked at your slide show and I like it.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM - Response #15

Thanks, Kyle. I've got some more ideas that I'll be implementing. One question, though. I can't seem to get rid of the extra spaces at the top of the page. Can you help?

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM - Response #16

I am not sure what you mean, but when I Edit Site Pages, Edit Home Page contents, then SOURCE view, I can see several HTML Paragraph codes. Have you tried deleting them? Is that the place where you are talking about?

I have done something similar with my First Grade Photos link. Have you seen it? Not exactly a slide show, but it does use JavaScript to highlight them and display their yearbook photo.

www.classcreator.com/Spanish-Fork-UT-1981/test.htm

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM - Response #17

Wow, that's cool what you've done with the Elementary Pics. Mind if I use some of your code? Feel free to help yourself to mine.

Next thing I intend to do is associate a link with each pic in the slideshow. This link will open a popout (see my Then-N-Now page) which will run a miniature slideshow of then and now pics of that person. Seems ambitious, but should be worth it. I'll let you know when its done.

As for the extra

codes, yes that is exactly what I mean, I HAVE tried deleting them and they keep coming back. Wondered if the CC code is interfering somehow.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM - Response #18

You can use some of the code that you like. There is a big section of code that isn't really mine, it is from http://davidlynch.org/projects/maphilight/docs/
but instead of uploading the jQuery library, I just pasted the code in my editor.

There is some kind of problem with the FCKEditor we are using (it is the editor you see on every editable page). It isn't really our code, but a library of code we use. There is an option talked about in this forum post:
http://forums.classcreator.com/messages....F09-1C36A8220A6E8C27
about appending the "&ascii=y" to the URL of the custom page you're editing. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if it works.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM - Response #19

I think ascii=y is the same as the new? HTML icon, except that ascii=y forced it into that mode BEFORE you enter the page. Don't think HTML was there before.

ascii=y no longer works, which can be a problem since that used to be the only way to get control back from 'transfer' code. I suppose I could test it and then post in the 'bugs' section?

The issue is that one can't flip back and forth between source and visual. When one flips to visual it actually saves AND -modifies- the code. As I noted somewhere else lately, these options were not well thought out in the real world.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM - Response #20

Lynn,

The programmer said this: "In the FCK world, everything must be inside some HTML block. Paragraph is the default. If you pass text into it that is not inside some block, it places paragraph marks around it. But only once. That is the nature of FCK, I cannot change that. Which is why we offer HTML Edit. "

I think that you might have some HTML code that isn't quite right (maybe missing an end tag). I gave the code a quick glance and saw this error on "#slide-202", the src seems to be wrong. But I doubt this is causing your problems. Maybe a quote is missing somewhere. I tried encasing the entire page in the DIV tag, but that didn't seem to work either.

You could test the above theory by copying your page to a test page and removing sections of your HTML (but don't save) and just switch back and forth between SOURCE and WYSIWYG to see if the paragraph block gets inserted.

Sorry I am not much more help here.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM - Response #21

Hi Kyle,

Check out the recent addition to my slideshow. Had many requests for this, since it reminded many of the Art City drive-in in Springville.

Now, off to other fun projects - Trying to get my Then N Now page working again. Very Happy

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM - Response #22

Lynn,

I like it. Scrolling through the classmate yearbook small photos, you have a missing photo right after "Marjean Prestwitch". Probably a bad filename in your source code. Susan Prothero is missing.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 4:16 PM - Response #23

Wow, Thanks!! Don't know how that happened. It isn't that way on my local copy, nor on my Test page??? Confused Anyway, it's fixed now. Thanks again.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 6:28 PM - Response #24

That is a very nice effect. I'm too lazy for that much work - how long did it take you to get all those images sorted out?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.