ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Overlapping images on Homepage

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/11/12 12:24 AM Views: 1333 Replies: 10
Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Hi,
I don't know how I did this but the announcements on my homepage are wider the the acceptable size, BUT they are not pushed down below the right hand modules. They overlap them. That's fine with me for the moment. But, I'd like to know how this happened?
BarbaraWink

Edited 11/11/12 12:25 AM
Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 1:25 AM - Response #1

There are some link URLs that are too long

http://weather.yahoo.com/united-states/south-carolina/myrtle-beach-2456750/

Instead of the actual link, use a short name that goes to the link. For example THIS LINK

Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 1:45 AM - Response #2

So the link I have to the myrle beach weather is too long for the page? Ok. Then why doesn't it pull all the announcements down below all the right hand modules (as it does when a word announcement doesn't fit or a photo is too big)?
Does get me wrong, I believe you and appreciate the imput. I'm just one that asks questions, always have been.
Barbara

Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 1:49 AM - Response #3

Browser differences. It doesn't do that for me with current Firefox - 16.0.2. You are running an older version that somehow interpreted it that way.

If you check with IE all the content is pushed down.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 1:57 AM - Response #4

I'm using IE 8.0.
Barbara

Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 2:01 AM - Response #5

IE 9 is what I'm using. That has it all pushed down.

There must be something else that is mixing up IE 8. It's one of the things that will either force users to upgrade from XP or switch to one of the other browsers.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 2:04 AM - Response #6

It began when I tried to post the new reunion message with the two logos on either side of the page. It worked fine on the edit site pages page while I was writing it. When I would check out what I wrote by clicking 'homepage', the right logo would jump to the next line on the left. Finally, I just left it that way. To my surprise, the next time I visited the site it looked like it does now.
Barbara

Sunday, November 11, 2012 at 2:06 AM - Response #7

I see. Well, thank you. I have windows vista. But you're right, It does cause me to change to firefox on occasion.
Barbara

Monday, November 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM - Response #8

The editor is not constrained to the size of the space on the page being edited, so things may look different in the editor than they do on the page.

In Vista, you can upgrade your Internet Explorer to version 9, which we strongly recommend you do if you're not prepared to move to Firefox or Chrome altogether.

Monday, November 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM - Response #9

Thanks Eric,
I was planning to look into IE9 anyway. Tell me, does the distortion occur in a similar manner as it does or did when you develop a program on a pc and try to run it on a Mac (That used to happen particularly with photos.)?
Barbara

Monday, November 12, 2012 at 2:18 PM - Response #10

The computer isn't so relevant as the browser and operating system version. Mac OSes have been pretty consistent in not making much difference and leaving the rendering entirely up to the browser software, but for some reason Windows has been a little different in that respect.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.