ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Anchor on Another Page

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/25/10 05:21 PM Views: 1921 Replies: 15
Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Hi,

I had this problem before, never solved it but learned to live with it. However, now I'd like to find out what I need to do to make it work.

I use link to anchors within a page without any problem. Use them all the time.

However, when I try to link to an anchor in another page it just goes to to the top of the page. I build the link by entering the URL for the page and then, while still in the link/URL window, manually append #TARGET and press enter (and save the page).

When I go to exercise the link from the source page it goes to the target page and the TARGET link, hangs for about a half second and then goes to the top of the page. Rolling Eyes

For grins, in the target page I also placed a link to the same TARGET anchor. When I press that, it goes right to the TARGET and stays there. The URL listing in the top of my browser window appears identical for either method.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional (32 bit), Firefox 3.6.10 (but seem to have the same problem with IE 8.0.76, including the momentary hit on TARGET and then revert to top of page).

Is there some other HTML code I need to enter in the source to get it to go and stay? Do I need to enable some sort of "sticky" option on the anchor? Do I have a cache problem (in both browsers)? Or is it something even more obvious? Question

Thanks for any help you might provide.

Jim

BTW, if you CC guys want to check it out, the source link is the first occurrence of "Our Scrapbook" on the Home Page (target is locked to non classmates). At the top of the "Our Scrapbook" page I have a temporary link to the TARGET in the page.

Edited 09/25/10 5:29 PM
Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 5:56 PM - Response #1

Jim,

It worked fine for me without any changes. Maybe you have something on your computer preventing it to work. I have attached a HELP video movie to show you it works fine.

It doesn't look like I can attach, so I will send it to you by e-mail.

Edited 09/25/10 5:58 PM
Saturday, September 25, 2010 at 8:54 PM - Response #2

Kyle,

It obviously worked for you just the way I want it to. Will root around my browser (Firefox) settings and operating system settings (as it also happened in IE) to see if there's something unusual set up.

Will let you know if I come across anything.

Thanks for looking into this.

Jim

Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM - Response #3

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Jim,

It worked fine for me without any changes. Maybe you have something on your computer preventing it to work. I have attached a HELP video movie to show you it works fine.

It doesn't look like I can attach, so I will send it to you by e-mail.

Kyle - I followed the steps and my link works great in IE and Safari. However, in FF, it does not. My anchor happens to be on my homepage. When my link is clicked from one of my galleries, only the homepage opens up. It does not go down to the anchor spot - although the full url is displayed. If I then click on the URL, it goes to the correct spot. Any ideas? It is the first link on this page that contains the anchor http://www.plainedge1964.com/class_gallery.cfm?gallery_id=20900

Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:40 PM - Response #4

It works for me in Firefox.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 12:52 PM - Response #5

Hmmmm...Just tried again. Same results. Any idea what might be making it happen on mine? Sometimes I get the message "Firefox prevented this page from automatically redirecting to another page" and I must click ALLOW to continue. Maybe this is it? Do you know what setting I might change (if any) to correct this?

Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM - Response #6

Try the new link I added on the page and see if that works for you. I added another anchor without the space on your home page. Maybe it will work better for you.

If not, you can always delete the codes I inserted on your page. They are marked with comments. Delete everything between and including the first LESS THAN and the last GREATER THAN sign.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 6:29 PM - Response #7

Thanks. No luck. I also did find in the TOOLS/OPTIONS area where I can uncheck "Warn Me When Websites Try To Redirect". Did that but, alas, still the same. Oh well....thanks for trying anyway.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM - Response #8

Kyle - Which version of FF are you using? I am on 9.0.1

Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM - Response #9

I am using Firefox 9.0.1. I just tried it on a different computer and I get the same problem you are seeing.

Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 7:17 PM - Response #10

Maybe it's the resolution? Although if that were the problem I'd see the sae thing in IE and Safari.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 at 8:36 AM - Response #11

I checked the computer where it works and it is Firefox 8.0.1, so it might be some kind of bug in Firefox that was introduced between 8.0.1 and 9.0.1

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM - Response #12

Jim,

I have to tell you that I think your website should win a prize for the best! Wow! I love all the pages, and the links within the pages! I cannot imagine how much time this has taken. I love it!

How are you able to have so many pages? Are they build as an announcement? I love what you have done.

Pam Murray
Robert E. Lee High School
Class of 1968
Jacksonville, FL

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM - Response #13

Pam,

Jim is using multiple surveys to get so many pages on his website.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 2:30 PM - Response #14

Cool!

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 at 2:54 PM - Response #15

Barbara,

The reason your anchor is not working is that it has a space in it. Anchors are part of the web address or URL, and URLs cannot have spaces in them. I suggest replacing the spaces with underscores to maintain readability.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.