ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Home Page problem

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/27/11 10:56 PM Views: 1692 Replies: 11
Monday, June 27, 2011 at 10:56 PM

For the last couple of days, everything beyond the weather map on our home page does not appear. It shows up in the editor, but when I save and go to "Home Page", it does not display.

I am using IE8 and have been for a long time. It does display in Firefox, but IE8 is what is used by most of our classmates.

Any help will be appreciated.

Monday, June 27, 2011 at 10:59 PM - Response #1

Go to your Edit Site Pages, Edit Home Page, SOURCE, then search for
style="display: none".
Change it to
style=""
(empty quotes). The "display: none" is causing anything that the SPAN code surrounds to not display. Changing it to "" causes the SPAN code to just do nothing.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 12:58 AM - Response #2

I have just the opposite -- I have a countdown calendar on the home page and it displays there just fine but in the editor it does not show up at all. I have just kind of ignored it but it makes me not want to edit the home page for fear of getting something really out of whack.

Jim

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 8:28 AM - Response #3

Jim,

Any embedded object doesn't display in the editor. Only an outline of the object. This isn't a bug, but it is how it works on everyone's editor pages.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 6:23 PM - Response #4

Yes, all other items do that but this particular one on the home page, the countdown clock, doesn't have anything in the editor -- unless I click on the source button, then I can kind of see where it is. This is why I don't want to edit the home page because I don't know how to move it and fear that I will lose it or some other formatting.

Jim

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 9:36 PM - Response #5

That countdown clock is not a direct embedded object. It starts out as a javascript which then loads the flash. You need to be in Source Mode to move it around.

The start and end of the script are fairly well delineated in source view as: (x and y are lt and gt which I can't use directly in this post)

x!-- Begin of mycountdown.org script --x
...the countdown stuff...
x!-- End of mycountdown.org script --x

IOW, javascript that generates code also doesn't show what it looks like in design mode in any editor.

So what you do is select the code by highlighting it from start to end, select COPY via right click popup menu (or keyboard CTRL+C). Then press the DEL key to remove.

Position new location where you want the clock to be and PASTE from right click menu (or CTRL+V).

Test.

There's always the backup if it's not quite what you expectedExclamation

--------------

But here's what I tell my helpers when making changes (since backup is both easy and confusing depending on how many times you do things).

In the editor, select Source mode. Now Select all from right click menu (or CTRL+A). Now COPY. Open up NotePad and PASTE.

Now you have a copy of the page just like it is in the editor on your local machine.

To restore to that version, in source mode:
Select All in CC editor and press DEL.
That removes all the code.

Now Select All in notepad and COPY
and now in the CC editor, PASTE and you are back to where you were.

This works on any page and gives you an easy (and extra) way to keep copies locally without worrying about which version on CC you need to restore to.

This also gives you LOCAL backups of your pages. Just name them appropriately.

Too long?

Edited 06/28/11 9:43 PM
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 at 10:18 AM - Response #6

Hmmm. I've done as you suggested, but the problem still exists. This is not a huge problem, but I would like to discover what I am doing to cause it. When it has happened before, I've reverted to a previous version and reconstructed the home page.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 at 7:14 AM - Response #7

Well, my home page problem still exists. In addition, I just received this comment from one of my classmates:
"I'm having trouble getting into our site. When I log on I get a full page of yearbook pictures and the spartan logo.

Then I get a box: "Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http:.............." Operation aborted."

I have also had a similar problem. Often (not always) when I log on, the home page comes up, then I get the "Internet Explorer cannot open....." error message. However, I just back arrow and go immediately back to the home page.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 at 2:05 PM - Response #8

What you describe is a connection issue. When it's "not always" that means that sometimes all the required content is not capable of being accessed. If you give the full http given in the error message, I can tell you exactly where it's having a problem.

The page has a lot of external content. Usually you get an empty spot where the content is supposed to be. ATM I don't recall getting that sort of message unless my connection is down and it can't resolve the name. So maybe a provider issue and/or DNS server or issues on a particular system.

Sometimes resetting all the equipment and rebooting can solve this for a while. If it keeps repeating, check the connections. I have a cable connection that got a bit of corrosion (after 15 years) and I had to clean it. Lots of variations of this problem.

When you "back arrow" you just got the cached data from before. When you logged in. IE wanted to refresh all the data and that again requires all connections to work/resolve.

FYI: The JibJab does not display for IE9 It's just an empty box.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM - Response #9

I reboot every couple of days. I really don't think this is a connection problem. It all works fine in FF. Most of our classmates use IE8, so that is what I try to work with. IE9 was a disaster, I won't go back to that any time soon.

As to external content, I have less now than in the past, and less that some other class web sites that I have no trouble viewing.

I appreciate your taking the time to look and for your suggestions. I guess I will just go ahead and rebuild the whole thing a little at a time.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM - Response #10

No need to reboot every couple of days. I only mentioned it to reduce variables, not that it's a requirement. The boot thing went away with XPWink It's perfectly normal now to run for months at a time. Indeed, rebooting will make your problem appear more often as I'll explain.

Connection problems are a bit different in the way most people interpret that word. The reason it is so is that once a page "works", then the only variable is your connection. A "connection" means from your computer to wherever the data is coming from.

Now, IE8 is very sluggish (at least 2x slower than IE9 or FF5). What happens is that there are "timers" inside of IE that "give up" when too much time has gone by. IE9 let's you increase the delays allowed - so is much more tolerant besides being faster in general.

Indeed, I was able to duplicate your error on my IE8 system ONE time. ONE time because once I got the page loaded by doing a refresh it worked fine (and then I remembered the IE8 issues). The servers/routes that were traveled had cached some of the data (or memorized the route so to speak), so the 2nd time it quickly knew exactly how to get at the data and was much faster (this is how internet traffic hardware works since if it had to resolve every single request things would slow to a crawl).

For the same sort of reason (reduce traffic requests), your system caches data (to speed up web pages), so when you reboot, it has to start over to some degree.

The solution is to reduce the number of external objects that have to be resolved or use a different browser that allows more time and/or is faster in general. Or just refresh till it all loads. The latter is not something most users will do, so more for your own learning.

You can't compare directly to other sites since each "path" traveled is unique depending on the exact objects they have on each page. In general, the fewer external objects on a page, the better.

Hope that makes sense in why you don't always get the message.

Thursday, July 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM - Response #11

Thanks, Jack, for you your time, patience and instruction. I finally restored an earlier version which was free of the problem and have been updating that version. It seems to be working fine now.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.