ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

In the File Vault, can I...

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/30/10 10:47 PM Views: 1491 Replies: 7
Thursday, December 30, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I am adding a new page to my site and wish to move a file of photos in File Vault to a new folder. Dragging does not work. Is there a way to do this?

Gwen

Monday, January 3, 2011 at 11:35 AM - Response #1

The file vault is not set up to just simply move file around like that. This is because the images in the file vault are linked to by the pages of your site where you are using the images. If you started moving these images around, the pages would not know this and the images would suddenly appear to be broken when you visit the page. So, the only option would be to upload new versions of the photos, and then go to each of the pages that use these photos and link to the new photo. Then delete the old, unused image.

Monday, January 3, 2011 at 12:22 PM - Response #2

Can you tell me if there is a way to take photos directly from a gallery on the site and copy them on to CD? Thanks !!

Monday, January 3, 2011 at 1:00 PM - Response #3

Yes. Just click your Gallery Creator link then click the "download" icon next to the desired Gallery. The system will create a zip file for you and you can simply unzip your photos onto the CD.

Monday, January 3, 2011 at 3:13 PM - Response #4

Why would one need to move the photos to a new folder? Can't we link to photos in the file vault from any of our pages? Or is that something only coming with the new upgrades this year?

Monday, January 3, 2011 at 3:28 PM - Response #5

I'm sure all she was wanting to do was organize her images so that they are more manageable. Some admins gather many graphics for each holiday, season, etc which are all stored together. She was likely just wanting to save then into folders for easy access in the future.

Monday, January 3, 2011 at 11:29 PM - Response #6

Thanks for the confirmation of what I expected to hear, Scott. You are partially right in your response to Jerry.

Jerry, as the file vault does not offer the option to see thumbnails, I found myself opening the same files more than once. Files on my computer are organized, so it just made sense to organize my file vault. As Scott wrote, to make them more manageable. Smile

One thing I am doing differently than Scott noted... I am removing holiday graphics. I have things backed up on a portable hard drive and am looking for space on the internet. There is no need to take up available file vault space with graphics I will not need for eleven months. That is my thinking.

Thanks for having the 'conversation' about this.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 at 6:22 AM - Response #7

Gwen. Take a look at Dropbox.com. It gives you 2GB of storage free and you can access these files from any PC.

John

Gwen Corey wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation of what I expected to hear, Scott. You are partially right in your response to Jerry.

Jerry, as the file vault does not offer the option to see thumbnails, I found myself opening the same files more than once. Files on my computer are organized, so it just made sense to organize my file vault. As Scott wrote, to make them more manageable. Smile

One thing I am doing differently than Scott noted... I am removing holiday graphics. I have things backed up on a portable hard drive and am looking for space on the internet. There is no need to take up available file vault space with graphics I will not need for eleven months. That is my thinking.

Thanks for having the 'conversation' about this.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.