ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Posting on a Classmate's Profile

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/16/14 06:51 PM Views: 1047 Replies: 8
Friday, May 16, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I received an email notice today: New Message
When I click on the 'more' link in the notice, I'm taken to Bruce's profile page. I'm wondering where he submitted this comment that it went out to everyone subscribed to his profile? Did he post his comment in the "Post a Comment on Bruce's Profile?" Maybe this is a first, but I don't recall ever getting a message that was titled New Message Posted to the Class.

Edited 05/16/14 6:56 PM
Friday, May 16, 2014 at 7:55 PM - Response #1

I'm guessing he posted on the What's New page

Friday, May 16, 2014 at 7:57 PM - Response #2

Just guessing on this.

The first comment area on a profile says "SHARE A COMMENT with Classmates", "classmates" plural. Inside the text box: "Share your thoughts with the Classmates...", again, "Classmates" plural.

The remaining comment areas in a profile just say "Comment" and "Add a Comment", and are associated with a member's profile "Questions & Answers".

I believe input into the first comment area is why the message went out to the class. I have never understood the purpose of that comment area.

Saturday, May 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM - Response #3

Rhonda, You didn't say whether or not you're subscribed to Bruce's profile. But even if you are not, I wouldn't be surprised to find that when someone posts a comment on their own profile, it generates a notify to "The Class" - even though my first thought would be that it would only go to those in the class who have subscribed.

Normally, if someone really wanted to "Share a message with the Classmates", they would have used the Message Forum. But in the new Social Profile, I wouldn't be surprised either way at how comments are handled.

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 3:24 PM - Response #4

That's been my complaint of late. On multi-year sites these "Share with Classmates" usually come from somebody you don't even know. Our folks are getting way too many notices now, and some are leaving because of it. The Profile Subscriptions & Notify Me need to be re-worked with an option for subscribed profiles only.

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 3:46 PM - Response #5

I agree. Since I'm subscribed to everyone, I don't know for sure how it works. But it makes more sense to me if it only generates a notify for those subscribed to that profile.

As I said above, if someone want to send a message to ALL classmates, they can use the Message Forum - on the theory that everyone has that notify option turned on...

Monday, May 19, 2014 at 6:46 PM - Response #6

I posted this question 3 days ago and shortly thereafter received an email notification (FC Bock's reply) but when I clicked on it, received a message saying the post had been deleted. Today (3 days later) I received an email notification that was my original post and now see that several people have replied (on the 16th, 17th and today) yet I've never received email notifications that anyone replied. Weird.

Ok, so I think Tom is correct. Anytime you post a comment from your own Profile in the "Share a Comment with Classmates" it does what it says. Smile I had only looked at the other person's Profile page (not my own) and it read "Post a Comment on Bruce's Profile."

That is the first time someone has used that comment box and a notification went out to everyone subscribed to his profile.

Hey, I'm not confused anymore! Very Happy

Friday, August 15, 2014 at 7:54 AM - Response #7

Is there a way to delete "Share a Comment" from the Profile Page? We have two websites...one for school alumni and the other for our condo association. For the condo association, we're afraid this will become a "free for all" to disparage the work of the Board. We prefer that issues are directed to the Board and discussed at Association meetings instead of being sallied about among the few dissatisfied owners.

This is no problem for our class alumni website.

Friday, August 15, 2014 at 7:57 AM - Response #8

James and Linda Knaus 131,

I think the option you want is on the PREFERENCES page. Scroll down until you see these options:
Comments
   Allow Homeowners to make comments on Profile items.
   Allow Homeowners to make comments only at the bottom of Profiles.
   Don't allow Homeowners to make any comments on Profiles.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.