ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Music and File Librarry

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/09/08 01:34 PM Views: 1724 Replies: 11
Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 1:34 PM

I would like to add my own music files (becasue they are not in Playlist.com) and have heard about the "File Library" to be available soon.

Is it out yet? How will it work?

Edited 09/09/08 1:34 PM
Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 2:02 PM - Response #1

It's not out yet, but you can kinda sorta sneak it in right now actually. Let me tell you how.

Let's say you have an mp3 on your hard drive.

1) Go into your editor
2) Click the chain link icon
3) Click the upload tab
4) Upload your mp3 to the server
5) Embed your mp3 on the page

Embedding the mp3 on the page takes a little object/embed code, but it's easy. Just Google "html tutorial" and all kinds of free tutorials will come up that will show you how to embed an object, like an mp3, on your page.

After the file library is done I'll write up some better instructions for embedding, but with a little copy and paste object/embed code from any tutorial it's pretty easy to figure out right now.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 2:23 PM - Response #2

Easy for you to say BRAD!!! Smile

Is there anyway to allow us to just embed an MP3 player permanently and then just add or remove songs as we wish, sorta like Windows Player-ish or iTunes like with a checkmark icon. It really cant be that hard to program one of these??

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 3:08 PM - Response #3

Nope. We're not a music company and we're not going to get into music copyright issues. We'll leave that to the Playlist.com's of the world.

Also, when you upload an mp3 file to your site, you're doing it personally -- we're only providing a file library -- you personally are deciding what to put in your own file library. Thus you take full responsibility if you're using a song you shouldn't be using. Should we as the host be contacted about the misuse of music, we'd have to remove the file from our servers.

The one thing we can't do is take a bunch of copyrighted music and make it available to you from a menu built into the Class Creator system itself. If we did that, then we're enabling the theft of copyrighted music. So -- having said that -- if you choose to upload your own mp3 files to your web site, please make sure you have permission to use those files. Most music is not for the taking. In fact there are some pretty steep penalties for doing so without permission. Companies like Playlist.com go through a great amount of effort to ensure the music they are using is authorized -- and even then, as you may have noticed, files sometimes get removed from their system.

We may facilitate some of the tools you are using to build your site, but you are in fact a publisher. As such, you can be held accountable for what you choose to put on your own website. Sorry for the grim post, but there are very real music copyright laws out there, and not abiding by them can get you in very real trouble.

Edited 09/09/08 3:12 PM
Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 7:44 PM - Response #4

I went to Playlist.com and made a song list... Got the code, copied and pasted to home page, changed all measurement to 300... Then when I go to the home page, there is the code all over the page.. no player...What am I doing wrong ? Have tried this 3 times, same thing..

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 10:28 PM - Response #5

I see your Playlist Player is now working correctly, so I'm assuming you figured out that you needed to press the Source button in the upper left hand corner of your editor before pasting in your Playlist code.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 11:07 PM - Response #6

Yes, thank you. I did figure it out after posting my question... Can you put another player on other pages ?.. For example, I wanted to add appropriate
music to the memoriam page..

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 at 11:43 PM - Response #7

Sure. Anywhere you have your visual editor you can put a Playlist player, or any other third party plugin.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 at 9:02 AM - Response #8

There is no visual editor on my In Memory page, just a list of classmates we've lost..

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 at 1:08 PM - Response #9

The visual editor is on the edit deceased Clssmate details page.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at 8:12 AM - Response #10

Brad,
Does this answer my question about adding my own music files to a URL site so I can upload the songs to a play list from playlist.com ? ?

Kevin

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 at 10:51 AM - Response #11

Kevin - see the following FAQ page at Playlist.com http://www.playlist.com/help Look for this question: Can I upload music to Playlist.com?

Edited 06/08/10 11:05 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.