ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Animations are slow...

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/30/09 05:46 PM Views: 1566 Replies: 4
Monday, November 30, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Brad, Jessica or Kyle,

I have a question: I noticed that my 3 little Christmas animations were slow or would stop and then start up again. Is this due to too many third-party items on my homepage such as a a slideshow from Photobucket and other small animations. I took off my other slideshows and put them on an announcement and deactivated it thinking those slideshows could be slowing my animations. I will add though that my slideshows are more important to me than the animations so I have no problem kicking Santa, the penguin and the reindeer outta here! Very Happy

Please advise.

Thanks,
Dawn

Monday, November 30, 2009 at 8:21 PM - Response #1

There are many things that can cause something like this, but the overwhelming liklihood is it's your own computer's Internet connection, processing speed (megahertz), memory, or any combination thereof. Usually your Internet connection isn't going to be the issue, so that leaves the likely culprits being your computer's processor and memory. If that assumption is correct, then yes it sounds like you have lots of things on the page that are struggling to all load in and work at the same time. Viewers with newer computers that have ample memory and processing power will probably cut through it just fine, while Classmates who have older computers with typically slower processors and less memory will experience the issue. Bottom line, yes, if you're seeing it then removing some of the items on the page is the best fix.

Edited 11/30/09 8:59 PM
Monday, November 30, 2009 at 8:36 PM - Response #2

Thanks Brad, I thought that may be the problem and I actually have a computer guy coming out this week to put some more memory on here for me. I cleaned up my picures, which I am embarassed to say was completely full of stuff I have used for CC. I could not believe how much I had accumulated since January!!! I saved some things on 2 discs and the rest went into the recycling bin! From now on I am limiting what is on my site....well...at least until I get a new computer with more memory! Laughing

Thanks again,
Dawn

Friday, March 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM - Response #3

Brad, I read your response to Dawn re slow animations & I get it that the more you have on the page, the slower a computer w/o enough memory will be. But why are the animations just fine on the Edit page, just jumping, spinning, having a great time & then I go "live" to the Home Page and everything goes slo-mo?Dale MHS '65

Friday, March 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM - Response #4

Works just fine on my computer. At the moment I happen to be responding from a new laptop w/ very high speed connection though, so that would not be surprising.

It really is the same reason though. Too much on the page overall. Many computers just aren't going to cut through all of that stuff and process it all at once. Newer computers will, but the slower the computer, the slower the whole page is going to be. You really have a lot going on on your home page.

The reason it's faster in your editor is because there you're only editing a small portion of the page at any one time. Your home page is made up of the design itself, your home page contents, and all of your Announcements. If you could load all 3 of those things into your editor at the same time, which you can't of course, then it would go just as slowly there.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.