ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Admin link to "Edit this classmate here" broken

Forums: Class Connection Bugs
Created on: 02/16/16 10:44 PM Views: 1271 Replies: 20
Tuesday, February 16, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Just received a notice of new member. There is an error on his information and I clicked the link at the bottom of the notice "Edit this classmate here."

I am logged in and stay logged in; however, when clicking the link, for the first time ever, I get the error message "Sorry, you are not logged in as a site admin."

Will you please check on this? Thanks.

I have a multi-year site and use this link often to make quick corrections of new members.

Edited 02/16/16 10:45 PM
Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 10:52 AM - Response #1

Log out and back in. If you were logged in when Class Creator logged into your site to check something for you, that's the message you'll get when you try to use any admin function or link. Or... something may have altered or deleted cookies on your computer.

Edited 02/17/16 11:03 AM
Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 11:32 AM - Response #2

John Ralph wrote:

Log out and back in. If you were logged in when Class Creator logged into your site to check something for you, that's the message you'll get when you try to use any admin function or link. Or... something may have altered or deleted cookies on your computer.

Thanks, John, but that didn't work either. I logged out and cleared all history (not cookies) and tried refresh, etc.

Edited 02/17/16 11:33 AM
Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 4:58 PM - Response #3

Cheryl - What OS and Browser (and version) are you using?

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 5:10 PM - Response #4

Windows 10, Firefox 44.0.2

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 6:12 PM - Response #5

John Ralph wrote:

Cheryl Kemptner wrote:

Thanks, John, but that didn't work either. I logged out and cleared all history (not cookies) and tried refresh, etc.

I'm guessing that this is a cookie issue. In FF, click on the "Options" (3 horizontal lines at the top right), click on "Privacy" and there should be a box halfway down to let you "Show Cookies". You'll see some for Class Creator, or more likely for your site name if you access by a domain name - and some for the forums if you're logged in here. You can highlight just those for your site and clear them. At that point logging back into your site should rebuild the cookies needed.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 6:21 PM - Response #6

John Ralph wrote:

John Ralph wrote:

Cheryl Kemptner wrote:

I'm guessing that this is a cookie issue. In FF, click on the "Options" (3 horizontal lines at the top right), click on "Privacy" and there should be a box halfway down to let you "Show Cookies". You'll see some for Class Creator, or more likely for your site name if you access by a domain name - and some for the forums if you're logged in here. You can highlight just those for your site and clear them. At that point logging back into your site should rebuild the cookies needed.

I deleted all the cookies related to my site and still have the problem. Any other ideas?

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 6:50 PM - Response #7

reboot?

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 7:21 PM - Response #8

Although I can duplicate the problem here if I'm logged in, clear cookies, and try any andmin functions, maybe I'm going in the wrong direction. What happens if you log in normally? Can you view any restricted pages? Or more to the point, can you do any admin functions then? Thinking that maybe the link in the email isn't working as it should...

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 7:29 PM - Response #9

John Ralph wrote:

Although I can duplicate the problem here if I'm logged in, clear cookies, and try any andmin functions, maybe I'm going in the wrong direction. What happens if you log in normally? Can you view any restricted pages? Or more to the point, can you do any admin functions then? Thinking that maybe the link in the email isn't working as it should...

Yes, all admin functions are normal. In fact, I have the site open and I'm logged in. When I click the link in the email another tab opens and I get the "sorry . . . " message.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 7:55 PM - Response #10

Interesting! Take a good look at that link (or where that new tab opens) to see where it's pointing. I'm wondering now if that link is pointing to another site. I know that those "New Member" notifies don't tell you which site they're for.

Are you an admin on another site? I am, and wish at times that those notify emails would show me which site they're coming from.

Edited 02/17/16 7:56 PM
Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 7:56 PM - Response #11

What is the content of the link?

Can you compare to a prior message and see if it's the same format?

(Edit: John was thinking the same thing at the same timeVery Happy )

Edited 02/17/16 7:57 PM
Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 8:02 PM - Response #12

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

What is the content of the link?

Can you compare to a prior message and see if it's the same format?

(Edit: John was thinking the same thing at the same timeVery Happy )

That's what I was just doing! This last link is nothing like the others I received. If I post the links here, does that jeopardize my security?

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 8:26 PM - Response #13

Not a security issue since it requires login verification. Would be the same as me trying to login to your site.

Am curious on the difference. Use the "code" icon (third from the right on reply box) to post here.

Cheryl Kemptner wrote:

That's what I was just doing! This last link is nothing like the others I received. If I post the links here, does that jeopardize my security?

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 9:51 PM - Response #14

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

Not a security issue since it requires login verification. Would be the same as me trying to login to your site.

Am curious on the difference. Use the "code" icon (third from the right on reply box) to post here.

Cheryl Kemptner wrote:

Just finished dinner.

Here's the bad one:

Here's a good one:

Did I do that right? Looks like there is something wrong with the link on that New Classmate Notification.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 10:10 PM - Response #15

John Ralph wrote:

Interesting! Take a good look at that link (or where that new tab opens) to see where it's pointing. I'm wondering now if that link is pointing to another site. I know that those "New Member" notifies don't tell you which site they're for.

Are you an admin on another site? I am, and wish at times that those notify emails would show me which site they're coming from.

No, only 1 site, thank goodness! I do have one admin that helps me but she doesn't receive these notices.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 10:14 PM - Response #16

sorry, CC was having server issues so couldn't post.

The problem is that the cookies don't 'match' since they are using different 'names' - even if they are the same site.

So yes, this is a coding bug by CC. Should not be using the native URL for your site - that's the first one you listed.

If you logged in using the first URL name it would work. Idea

log in using this URL http://www.classcreator.com/Douglasville-GA-Douglas-County-1965

As you can see, it is your site Wink

Edited 02/17/16 10:15 PM
Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 1:35 PM - Response #17

Cheryl.... that is very helpful info above. I will send these details to the programmer.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 11:02 PM - Response #18

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

sorry, CC was having server issues so couldn't post.

The problem is that the cookies don't 'match' since they are using different 'names' - even if they are the same site.

So yes, this is a coding bug by CC. Should not be using the native URL for your site - that's the first one you listed.

If you logged in using the first URL name it would work. Idea

log in using this URL http://www.classcreator.com/Douglasville-GA-Douglas-County-1965

As you can see, it is your site Wink

Humph. Wonder why all of a sudden after 7 years this has changed? I don't understand what it all means, just hope Scott and programmers can figure it out.

Thank you all for your help.

Friday, February 19, 2016 at 8:49 AM - Response #19

I believe this won't happen again (in the future). The current classmate used the directory name when they became a new classmate and didn't use the domain name. If you aren't logged in to the directory name website, you would have to log in to that website. Login cookies are stored with the domain name of the login. You will need to tell this classmate to use the domain name.

The programmer changed the code so that in the future, if there is a domain name, use the domain name in the email, even if the classmate logged in using the directory name of the website.

Both directory name and domain name will work for every website that has a domain name, but as the classmate moves around the website, the website URL changes over to the domain name if it is active.

Friday, February 19, 2016 at 12:02 PM - Response #20

Kyle Erickson wrote:

I believe this won't happen again (in the future). The current classmate used the directory name when they became a new classmate and didn't use the domain name. If you aren't logged in to the directory name website, you would have to log in to that website. Login cookies are stored with the domain name of the login. You will need to tell this classmate to use the domain name.

The programmer changed the code so that in the future, if there is a domain name, use the domain name in the email, even if the classmate logged in using the directory name of the website.

Both directory name and domain name will work for every website that has a domain name, but as the classmate moves around the website, the website URL changes over to the domain name if it is active.

As always, y'all fixed the problem lickety split! Thank you, Kyle for the explanation, too.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.