ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Edit classmates' posts?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/05/13 12:09 AM Views: 809 Replies: 9
Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I have some classmates who have posted profile info all in lower case. What are thoughts on this? Should I edit them, i.e. proper names, places, etc., or leave them as posted? To me, it seems degrading to a classmate to see spouse names, place names, etc. all in lower case. I already convert addresses for classmates to US Postal standards.

Edited 10/05/13 12:11 AM
Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM - Response #1

In my opinion, it is your website, you pay for it. You can make any changes you want.

Probably what happened is that the classmate was entering their information from their phone/iPad and it is so much easier to just type the letter than to press the SHIFT key and then the letter. Just a guess, but it might make sense.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM - Response #2

I don't go out of my way to correct them. But I will if in Manage classmate mode.

Dale Grupe wrote:

I have some classmates who have posted profile info all in lower case. What are thoughts on this? Should I edit them, i.e. proper names, places, etc., or leave them as posted? To me, it seems degrading to a classmate to see spouse names, place names, etc. all in lower case. I already convert addresses for classmates to US Postal standards.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM - Response #3

I have corrected all of these because the information also went into a "souvenir" book and I wanted it to look correct and consistent.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM - Response #4

I did the same thing as Joani; and I believe Kyle is right about the phone thing..Also, when I went to Mich State, it was the FAD to write in all lower case (1963-1965), but it certainly was not on high school.
Barbara

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM - Response #5

I would correct all of them. But, that's me. Smile

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM - Response #6

I have gone into classmate's profiles and corrected spelling, etc.. I doubt if they even realized it..

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM - Response #7

Me, too.....but I have 4 classes to do....my admins and I only fix when we are editing classmates...some day we wil all have time to proof-read them all...needs to be done before our address & phone directory is made..now that we can't see the address and phone#s. I really hate that you had to hide those for legal purposes..I wish there was a disclaimer we could have use on our site. Did the lawyer you consulted advise to do this??? Just wonderingQuestionQuestionRolling EyesRolling Eyes
Brad Switzer wrote:

I would correct all of them. But, that's me. Smile

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM - Response #8

Often, on the computer, lower case is all that is required and we get forgetful about proper English. In other cases the fingers operate slower than the brain and what we typed is not what we thought we typed.

Post a message somewhere (homepage?) telling classmates of your editing responsibilities and encourage them to edit their profiles. Then go ahead and make the changes. and document them in the comments box at the bottom of the edit profile page.

Saturday, October 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM - Response #9

I get irritated about all lower case, as some get upset over all caps. We were taught better, so why not use our knowledge. I haven't corrected any - yet. However, having the classmate stay in touch ranks higher than grammar, I would think.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.