ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Option button on new forum

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/22/09 02:21 PM Views: 1531 Replies: 5
Saturday, August 22, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Would it be possible to add an option button to turn on more forums and topics on the new threaded forum? I'm helping another class get started and I think it would be easier if for the time being they only had one forum with one topic until they learn how to use it. We have been using the new threaded forum since making the switch and we still have classmates that will change to a new topic thinking they are changing the title. Then their reply goes to a whole new forum. I have it administrator approval first so I am able to catch them but I think it would be easier if they could take baby steps. They also forget that there are other topics listed since they don't see them. Thanks a bunch Very Happy

Saturday, August 22, 2009 at 3:26 PM - Response #1

I can certainly understand that the learning curve on a threaded forum system is going to be greater than the learning curve on the "all in one" original forum. What I don't understand though is your request to add an option button to turn on more forums and topics. What do you mean specifically? You can already create as many forums as you want, and within those forums people can already post as many topics as they want. If you're wanting to put everything all within one forum wouldn't you want to NOT have more options, etc.? I'm just scanning your message again, did you possibly mean to ask if you can turn off options rather than turn on more options? If so, do you want to just use the original message forums instead of the threaded forums?

Sunday, August 23, 2009 at 7:59 AM - Response #2

I don't want to take away completely just adding in doses. I would like them to get use to the forum first and how it works before adding more topics and forums. And I don't want to use the old forum if it's not supported as much as the new. Since they never knew what the old was like they won't be lost like my class has been. My thought is if they only have one forum and one topic it might help. The problem I found with my class is they think they are changing the title but instead they are changing the topic. And they can't get the concept that there are more topics listed. They get lost when a new post is made in a topic and they don't know how to go back to the orginal topic. Some are lucky they found the keyboard on their computers.

Sunday, August 23, 2009 at 1:34 PM - Response #3

I really think you should use the original forum. Like I said, for some classes the threaded forums are absolutely perfect. For others the never ending class "party" is perfect. And we've seen some use both. If they "can't find their computer" you're much more likely to have success with the original forum, which is in fact going to be supported again. Would you like to do that? You can't disable portions of how the threaded forums work anyway. You need to go with one or the other, and I'm really thinking the original forum with continual discussion is just what you need.

Sunday, August 23, 2009 at 2:53 PM - Response #4

Thanks Brad that will probably be the route they take. I was trying to give them some options since some of ours can't find their way around the new threaded forum. We have some that love it and some that don't so I want to keep ours just they way it is. I can really see the pros and cons of the new one. This is just one of those cons lol

Sunday, August 23, 2009 at 9:57 PM - Response #5

Hear ya. It may take awhile, but once they're up to speed with the threaded forums, I doubt most would want to use the original. The threaded forums have all kinds of things that make them more fun. That's assuming people will actually use them, of course. Smile

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.