ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

How often to you email the class?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/05/10 01:16 PM Views: 1931 Replies: 6
Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I've tried not to send out emails to everyone more than twice a month - our reunion is now 11 months away and I'll probably hold that schedule until we start selling reunion tickets.

Here's a graph that shows the impact of sending out emails:
CLICK TO VIEW The two spikes show the website visits more than double when those emails go out. Laughing I have 219 registered class members - so getting 50 of them on the site on one day is almost 25%. The email had 8 direct links to specific pages I was highlighting in the email.

How often do you email your class vs. how far away the reunion is scheduled? How much does traffic increase on the day of and day after the emailing?

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM - Response #1

I try to not send out things more than once per week.

Depending on the time of year or what is going on it may be as few as 2 times per month.

As much as possible I try and just send to the alumni years that would have an interest such as when we have a deceased classmate, etc.

We also have a Facebook page which is used to share information and is updated more frequently.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM - Response #2

John,

I tend to email the class every 10 - 14 days, usually when I've added something new to the website that I think will interest them. You're right, traffic increases considerably when I do that compared to the number who view the site on the off chance of finding something new.

We tend to have a number of small get-togethers, rather than a full-blown reunion, for a number of reasons, so my emailing the class has no relationship to the timing of a reunion, but I suspect the closer you get to a reunion the more classmates you'll have dropping by to see if there have been any developments or changes to arrangements. Having something specific to say about something as big as a reunion is sure to get people interested and visiting your site but, rather than tell them about it in an email, I'd just link them into the page it's on and hope that they brose the rest of the site while they're there.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 4:58 PM - Response #3

I was just thinking about that today. This is a New Member response to your question.

We've just been up and running for less than 3 wks so I'm still in the process of trying to stir up interest in our website. We have almost 700 in our class. I have noticed (and just read) that Thursdays are terrible days to communicate with people who work. I find that sending an email on the weekend (when they might have leisure time to look at it) keeps it "fresh" news. I see a lot of hits and members joining right after emailing, but the big Membership days have been Tuesdays. Many log back in and fill out their profiles on Mondays & Tuesdays.

I write each member an additional note (besides the automatic message) welcoming them and letting them know I have loaded their Senior photo and encouraging them to upload photos with their grandkids, or write about their Military experience, or whatever is appropriate to let them know an interested classmate is online. Yes, and I have had better response when adding hyperlinks in my emails to areas in the website. The old K.I.S.S. philosophy!

Since this is year 41 nothing interesting is happening so I created a survey asking if Turning 60 seemed like a good excuse to have a mini-reunion. Of the 21 responding, 100% say YES and volunteers to help and one to head it up!

I LOVE Class Creator! Hopefully I can return to painting someday soon!

Statistics: 78 Active to-date & 36 Deceased.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 8:15 PM - Response #4

Our reunion is now less than 60 days away, so I have begun sending "weekly updates". They are short, with a link or two, and point out that changes have been made.
The day of my email, the predicatable spike occurs. However, the daily average has been creeping up since I've been communicating more frequently.

My challenge is to make some changes so they don't see the same old thing each time. I think I also should use more links to pages that are not getting much attention.

We are trying a designated "Live Chat Night", too. Tonight will be the third week. Just a few participated in the first few, but they loved it. As long as someone is interested, we will most likely keep it up.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 10:11 PM - Response #5

Have any of you surveyed your class to see how often they feel that emails from you are too many, to little, etc?
I know I can't please everyone at any one time, but I do want to go with what the majority thinks. I have a 'web site usage' survey waiting in the wings to be activated, but have been procrastinating, since I just closed the 'Post Reunion Survey' on the 30th.
Perhaps I am too conservative?

Steve

Monday, August 9, 2010 at 1:10 PM - Response #6

I change the content in the announcement area first of every month. Then I might send out an all classmate email, telling them what's new for that month. (although, after 2 years, they know the content changes the beginning of the month, so many log on in the first week or so ) Or if I receive a death notice or illness report on a classmate, an email goes out.

I belong to another class website from our school and I get emails from that administrator all the time. Most of the time, the information could all be put in one email..

I think one email a month is plenty..

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.