ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Question about In Memory

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/25/15 06:52 PM Views: 1939 Replies: 16
Friday, September 25, 2015 at 6:52 PM

We had a "Friend of the Class" pass away last July. Unfortunately, at the time I forgot to move her to "In Memory".

Now that I see she is still listed as a Friend of the Class, is there a way to move her to In Memory without an email being sent to the class?

I do not want to stir up sad feelings among classmates by reminding them of her passing.

Thanks, Bob

Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 9:19 AM - Response #1

When you enter the In Memory content, you will have a choice to send an email to all classmates by checking the box to send the email. However, those who have set their NOTIFY ME to be notified whenever someone new is added to the In Memory page will be notified anyway.

There is no way to stop this from happening that I know of.

Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 1:23 PM - Response #2

If you have an obit or picture of her that hasn't been previously published to the site, you might consider adding that now. Then, for those who have notifications enabled, it won't serve so much as a reminder, but instead, additional information.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 11:34 AM - Response #4

Apparently there is no way to turn off automatic notification when someone is moved to In Memory, and that's a shame.

So let me ask a more general question: are there any plans to let admins decide which emails get sent to classmates vs letting the system decide?

I feel like I'm in a much better position to decide what gets sent to classmates rather than letting the system decide. As admin, I don't feel like I am in control.

Thanks, Bob.

Edited 09/30/15 11:35 AM
Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 6:53 PM - Response #5

The system limits our control over what email is sent, letting the members control that with their choices of Notify Me options and subscriptions as part of the anti-spam and 'opt in' design. We can see what NM choices people have made - but can't change them. There was a request a while back to allow admins to also view the subscription options as well, but it didn't appear to catch on.

As far as your In Memory move, I'm guessing here but I suspect that if you could talk one of the CC staff into manually plugging an entry in the "Year of Death" field in the member's database fields, the system would very likely treat them as being In Memory - perhaps without sending out the Notify email generated when you go through the process of moving them. We used to have access to that field, but can now only enter or change it in the process of moving someone to In Memory or editing an existing In Memory entry.

Monday, October 5, 2015 at 11:33 AM - Response #6

How about it CC Staff. Will John's suggestion prevent an email from being sent to all classmates? Bob

Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 7:51 PM - Response #7

Well, I have procrastinated taking action on this long enough. I think I'll just try to quietly remove her from our site. I hate to handle it that way but I don't see an alternative.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 at 10:58 PM - Response #8

There is another possibility, but I can't guarantee it since there's some risk involved.
What if you temporarily made her hidden member - and then moved her to In Memory? In theory, just about anything you do to a hidden member won't generate a notify unless you force one. And then later change her back to a full guest?

The risk is that I have found two cases where notifies still went out. A while back, I created a hidden member and joined for them by logging in with the email address and pswd I had entered. That still created a New Member notify when I verified the new member, but I reported that and I think it was supposed to have been fixed.
The second which I just ran into last week was uploading a yearbook photo for a hidden member. When I temporarily made the hidden member a full guest to view what others would see in the profile, a 'new photo' notify went out. But that may have been because that member was not hidden when the 'what changed' program kicked off and saw a change made in the last 15 minutes.

Simply making her a hidden member and leaving your options open might be a better choice than deleting her.

Friday, October 16, 2015 at 1:40 AM - Response #9

Moving her to In Memory does not generate a class-wide mailing. It only generates a notice to those classmates who specifically have asked to be notified. We have found that to be a relatively small number.

Friday, October 16, 2015 at 6:37 PM - Response #10

In our case, all classmates but 2 have asked to be notified when someone is moved to In Memory.

John Ralph, thanks for your suggestion. I think I'll try that.

By the way John, you should be getting paid for all your helpful advice. Bob

Monday, October 19, 2015 at 8:13 PM - Response #11

It appears that my answer above was wrong. The Email to classmates will only go out to those who want to be notified and only if you check the checkbox to send an email to those classmates. There is no automatic email that goes out when a modification happens. It is only triggered by the checkbox being checked after the modification happens.

To notify everyone, it is best to send an EMAIL THE CLASS message.
To notify nobody, just don't check the checkbox.

Monday, October 19, 2015 at 8:33 PM - Response #12

Kyle, that is very good news. I'm going to move her to "In Memory" rather than delete her from our Guest Membership.

Thanks for the updated response. Bob

Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 10:36 PM - Response #13

Kyle, it worked. As far as I can tell, no one received an email about the In Memory entry.

Thanks for all your help. Bob

Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 1:28 PM - Response #14

I am here to ask a question regarding entry of a classmate to memory. I have more than one classmate that needs to be entered and had no idea that it was supposed to be done when an in memory noticed is received. Also, where and how do you enter the information? Help please?

Thursday, October 29, 2015 at 2:13 PM - Response #15

Kurt - Please go to Edit Site Pages > Edit Page for In Memory > Scroll down to below the editor window and locate the Search box to find the name of the deceased member and then click the Add Deceased button to the right. You will be able to add details on the following screen. To edit someones page that is already on the list, click the Edit link to the left of their name... listed below on the same page.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 at 9:36 PM - Response #16

Below the In Memory names there is a box that is already checked to update classmates. Just uncheck the box so it doesn't send out an update.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.