ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Last/Maiden Name -and- Married Name

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/16/14 01:02 PM Views: 1770 Replies: 10
Sunday, November 16, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Hi Brad and Gang, I have non-HS reunion, i.e. Retired Employees group here, doesn't need the Maiden and Married name distinction, although something like Other names might be useful, for people to identify with one than one last name. For example being remarried or divorcing and taking their pre-married name etc. But the maiden name thing is not as relevant for us (and likely other non school reunion groups).

So, can the Maiden description text be suppressed, and Married Name data item be disabled or hidden maybe?

Suggestions or comments?

Monday, November 17, 2014 at 3:30 PM - Response #1

Currently, suppressing the Maiden Name (or renaming it) is not an option. However as we consider more options to make the system more flexible, I will be sure that this is on the list.

Friday, December 5, 2014 at 10:58 AM - Response #2

We have the same trouble with Class Creator's predefined name categories, and we ARE a high school reunion website.
southsloper825221 has a great idea to have more flexibility and an "AKA" slot available.
People change names for different reasons and in different ways than "first name, maiden name and (new) last name." Some of our classmates use a different first name as adults, for which there is no place to mention the full name used in high school.

Another issue is to change the way a person logs in.
DO NOT require an email address, use a special and unique login name chosen by the user in addition to the password created.
This excellent request was given to Class Creator months ago but has gone unheeded.
There are two reasons to make a change--SECURITY and SIMPLICITY for users. Providing one's email address becomes optional. The Admin can keep track of how to contact the individual. Some of our classmates will not register because the email address is required.
PLEASE allow the Administrators more flexibility to suit our specific needs. You have made some good changes; let's keep going.

Edited 12/05/14 11:20 AM
Friday, December 5, 2014 at 1:40 PM - Response #3

At some point there has to be an email address otherwise you can't send them any notices, etc. Idea So would they register if they still have to provide an email address later?

Using something different than an email address for the login name can work, although you might become Susie4952 Wink

An email address is automatically unique (can't be duplicated by anyone else) and avoids having odd names that one doesn't really want because someone else is using that name.

Maybe explaining that there has to be an email address somewhere can help persuade them to register.

Susie Website Administrator wrote:

Some of our classmates will not register because the email address is required.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 10:41 AM - Response #4

If the classmate is allowed to login with a non-email unique name (even the likes of Susie4962), then we may not have the email address but we have a CONNECTION with the classmate. That's SUCCESS!!! A classmate becomes registered, and that's information for the entire group.

The "no email" classmate can login and read posts, see photos, submit comments on profiles, etc. We have already contacted these folks by their street mailing address or by phone. We have some contact information.

These classmates are interested, involved and attend our reunions, but they do not want to receive email messages nor provide their email address.

It's better to have the classmate registered without an email address than not registered at all.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 2:49 PM - Response #5

The user could go to www.gmail.com, create a "Susie_LincolnHS@gmail.com" email address. She can use that email to sign in every time and never check the contents of the email account. If she never checks the contents of the email account, it is the same as never receiving email from the system.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 9:49 PM - Response #6

Kyle Erickson wrote:

The user could go to www.gmail.com, create a "Susie_LincolnHS@gmail.com" email address. She can use that email to sign in every time and never check the contents of the email account. If she never checks the contents of the email account, it is the same as never receiving email from the system.

Google may terminate your account in accordance with the terms of service if you fail to login to your account for a period of nine months

Sunday, March 8, 2015 at 6:34 PM - Response #7

I was also searching for how to change my Profile Questions regarding the name and was disappointed to see there isn't a way to do so.

I had intended to change "Last/Maiden Name" to "Last Name in School" and "Married Last Name" to "Current Last Name (if changed)"

I am really sorry I'm unable to do this as it's been requested by quite a few classmates. And, though rare, some guys are answering the Married Last Name question thus reflecting their last name twice.

Edited 03/08/15 6:36 PM
Monday, March 9, 2015 at 2:53 AM - Response #8

Kathie Koellmann wrote:

And, though rare, some guys are answering the Married Last Name question thus reflecting their last name twice.

LOL. Your guys must be smarter than ours. I have gotten at least a half dozen of these where the guy enters the Married Last Name question and shows their last name twice. I just go into manage classmates and take it out. I don't even wait until they notice.

Edited 03/09/15 2:53 AM
Monday, March 9, 2015 at 2:59 AM - Response #9

Susie Website Administrator wrote:

Some of our classmates use a different first name as adults, for which there is no place to mention the full name used in high school.

We have quite a few classmates who have (or use) different first names than they did in high school. Sometimes it is a middle name, sometimes a less or more formal name. What we do is show the other name(s) in parentheses. We even have a couple with more than two names they have gone by ..and no they weren't in prison or on stage.Rolling Eyes

Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 2:43 PM - Response #10

Just adding my upvote to the option to customize the wording. We seem to be running into this confusion with people entering the same last name twice. Any advice on best way to handle it? Just have admin clean up afterwards? Include a note in the welcome message?

Thanks!

George

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.