ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Site not downloading

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/04/10 11:32 PM Views: 1745 Replies: 19
Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 11:32 PM

A classmate is not able to get to our site. When she signs in, all she sees is a full page of our background. She is using an iMac. Could this be causing the problem? No one else has told me they are having problems with this. I do not have this problem either.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 9:47 AM - Response #1

I am not sure about the iMac. Does Adobe.com's Flash work on the iMac? If the iMac allows FLASH, make sure she has the latest version.

Does anyone out there use an iMac and not have problems?

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 10:10 AM - Response #2

I'm on an iMac and have never had any problems viewing sites
Classmate Jimmy Z

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 10:12 AM - Response #3

I might add that I have used all browsers with no problems.

Classmate Jimmy Z

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 10:40 AM - Response #4

javascript:addSmiley('Very Happy');

I use an iMac and do not have any problems with it. I set up our web page with
it and many of my classmates are PC users and no problem.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 11:28 AM - Response #5

Toby,

Likewise, no problem here seeing your site on my iMac using Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Camino browsers. Internet Explorer results unknown, but since it has not been supported by Microsoft for years, it is not recommended.

If your classmate is using Safari (usually the default browser for the Mac Operating System), see if they can try emptying the "cache" located in drop down menu below the word Safari.

Bob

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM - Response #6

I have a user who is having a similar problem and is using a Mac. No other users have reported difficulty. She has tried both Safari and Firefox and until a few days ago never had a problem. Each browser causes a different problem but basically when she logs on sections of the site disappear.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 12:10 PM - Response #7

Well gang, I guess again I'm the exception. I have the exact same problem. Let me tell you the scenario.

I have a 27 inch Quad iMac. Yesterday, I downloaded/installed Safari 5.0.1 (brand new) because it claimed it had fixed a problem that I've been having since purchase of this machine. Well, I guess it fixed it all right.

I can't view or work with my own site, but I can view every other site including this one just fine using Firefox 3.0.8.

Last night, I used my Disk Utility from hard drive and did a "Repair" of Disk Permissions. It never really fixes much of anything--cause I always run that program at least twice and the most of the errors that were "presumably fixed" show up again and again. Then I made a fatal mistake of doing a "Verify Disk." All hell broke loose and I was seeing more red than green with warning messages all over the place.

Dummy me, then tried doing the next thing--"Insert original Mac OS X disk that came with computer" and watched everything hang. I've got an appt with the "Genius Bar" in two hours. At the moment computer is non-operational, thankfully I have my Macbook Pro that I will NOT install Safari 5.0.1 until who knows when?

Sorry this is so long, but I've learned that threads can get very long if all this detail is not presented up front. Besides I probably won't be able to reply the rest of today.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 12:28 PM - Response #8

In these cases, we need to know as much about the person's computer that is experiencing the issue as possible.

Questions to ask them:

- Mac or PC
- What is their operating system? (Vista, Win 7, OSX etc)
- What Browsers are they using?
- What version number of that Browser?
- What screen resolution do they have their monitor set to?
- Do they have browser toolbar add ons installed?
- Are they running a personal firewall?
- Are they using a router in their network?
- Is the problem occurring on a home computer or an office computer?
- Have they restarted their computer since they began experiencing the problem?
- Do they know if they have installed any operating system updates recently?
- Can they take a screen shot and send an example of what they are seeing to you to send to us to review?

We are trying to recreate these issues when they happen so that we can identify the cause. Sometime this can be difficult because it comes down to a specific combination of the above that causes the issue.

Thanks for you help in gathering as much info as possible.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 1:06 PM - Response #9
Safari Logged OUT.tiff

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

In these cases, we need to know as much about the person's computer that is experiencing the issue as possible.

Scott I've included two screen shots. One before I Log in to my site, one after. Maybe this will be of some help. My "warning" is don't install the new version 5.0.1

Second screen shot NOT logged in.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 1:36 PM - Response #10

So far the common thread seems to be users on a Mac, using Safari, unknown if it is the newest version of Safari ... 5.0.1

I just tested the Safari 5.0.1 on PC and all is fine.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM - Response #11

I'm not using the new version of Safari.
I always wait till the platforms have been proven before I install.

Classmate Jimmy Z

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 3:07 PM - Response #12
Safari Logged in.jpg

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

So far the common thread seems to be users on a Mac, using Safari, unknown if it is the newest version of Safari ... 5.0.1

I just tested the Safari 5.0.1 on PC and all is fine.

Just got back from the Genius Bar, they did a "Repair Disk" & Verify and everything got fixed as far as they are concerned. That being said, my issue with Safari still exists and their prognosis is that CC "needs to modify their software for Mac Safari 5.0.1" (officially released yesterday 8/4/2010 at 1:00AM).

Jimmy, I normally never do a new release install for at least a week or two. However, it's claim was that it would FIX a problem that I've complained to Apple about for the last three months.

The "bad" news is the release 5.1 is due to come out "very shortly". See guys & gals, those programmers in the back room at Class Creator, have a lot more on their plates than just making us site admins happy with new features. They also have to keep everything working with every browser on the planet. My thanks to those faithful and trusty Programmers. I sure do hope they too will get some of that maple syrup and "Mom's" pancakes--they are so deserving yet we almost never hear about them.

Forgot to mention, I've included a copy of what I am able to see on my Safari 5.0.1 when logged in. So it appears that it has something to do with the encryption. BTW, I'm able to LOG-ON to all my other sites without a problem including a couple sites that other admins have given me permission to access. Just my own site is affected. The Genius Bar guru cleared everything out of my system -- cache, cookies, browser history passwords, on and on.

Scott, I hope this is the info you need. I will be away from my computer till at least 7pm your time.

Edited 08/05/10 3:16 PM
Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 3:20 PM - Response #13

I agree John, It's forums like this that keep me out of trouble.
Words can't describe how thankful we are for the back room programers.

Classmate Jimmy Z

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 4:28 PM - Response #14

So much for my theory. We actually have a separate thread running right now with the same "symptoms" and on IE browsers.

Scratching our heads on this one.

Next Question - any possible chance that there is a common ISP?. It's a stretch, but we need something in common to begin narrowing the issue.

Please chime in with your ISP's.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 6:37 PM - Response #15

I'm using Qwest DSL (Tucson, AZ) and have no current issues.

System:
iMac running OS 10.5.8

Browsers:
Safari 5.0.1
Firefox 3.6.8
Camino 2.0.3
Chrome 5.0.375.125
IE (not applicable)

Notes:
All except the latter displayed Toby's site as normal.

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 6:57 PM - Response #16

Thanks to all of you for your input. I forwarded your responses to my classmate and will send her replies to your queries as soon as I receive them.
Thanks again all you geniuses.
Toby

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM - Response #17

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

So much for my theory. We actually have a separate thread running right now with the same "symptoms" and on IE browsers.

Scratching our heads on this one.

Next Question - any possible chance that there is a common ISP?. It's a stretch, but we need something in common to begin narrowing the issue.

Please chime in with your ISP's.

Okay Scott,
If what I have posted below is not convincing enough that this new release of Safari for Mac is the root cause of the problem--then tell me what other information you need. I'm glad that Bob's computer works great with Safari 5.0.1, but then he doesn't have Snow Leopard installed. So it is THAT combination that seems to be the KEY that you are probably looking for.

BTW, I also have a 3rd computer (PC with Win7 and IE 7) I may test it out tonight, but it will be a long time before I install IE 8.

As you already know iMac Quad Core processor
My ISP: is DSL Verizon IP add: 71.112.121.243

Mac OS 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard)
Safari 5.0.1 See note below under Macbook PRO
Firefox 3.6.8
Opera 10.60
Omnidisk 5.10.1

On an MacBook PRO I also have the following:

Mac OS 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard)
Safari 5.0.0 Now this version works like it always has with NO glitch.

Friday, August 6, 2010 at 1:17 AM - Response #18

Just heard from my classmate who was using Safari - not sure which version - but was able to get on to the site using Firefox.

Thanks everybody for all your help and I hope those still having problems clear them up shortly.

Toby

Friday, August 6, 2010 at 9:24 AM - Response #19

John - Thanks for the details. Still investigating.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.