ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

System Password Problem

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/27/17 11:49 PM Views: 1335 Replies: 23
Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 11:49 PM

I have received several messages from folks who have reported having trouble logging in to my site using the system password.

When I logout and attempt to log back in with the system password, I get to the "Thank you. Please click here to continue>>>", but when I click on the button, it kicks me back to the Login screen. I don't know if this is the same thing that is happening with these other folks or not.

This seems to be a recent phenomenon.

Help?

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 1:11 AM - Response #1

I've seen several unexpected results when logging in with the system password. But they're different on different sites. For example, on my site where the What's New page is restricted, if you go to the site and click on the What's New page link in the menus, it displays the Restricted Page asking you to log in. But if you log in with the system password, it simply returns you to the home page.

You are actually logged in at that point, since you can click on and view other restricted pages, and Log Out is there in the menus, but any further attempt to click on the What's New page is ignored. Viewing any other restricted pages and then clicking on What's New in the menu only returns you to the home page.

That particular 'fluke' does not happen on other sites though, so it must be due to some configuration setting on my site. On another site where I'm a member, clicking on their What's New page tab (and logging in with the system password) shows me their restricted What's New page (with no content). But on that site, displaying the restricted Message Forum page shows all the posts but the "Show newest posts at the top/bottom" option just isn't there.

The system password option is no longer automatically created for new sites, and while it's mostly functional for those that have it turned on, and usually allows viewing other restricted pages (but not profiles), I've seen several other 'flukes' when using it. I suspect that System Password flukes are not high on the Class Creator priority list.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 1:26 AM - Response #2

Jeez Louise. I would think that allowing new people to login and join sites and create profiles and such would be real high on somebody's list.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 11:34 AM - Response #3

I'm sure that joining (and creating profiles) is near the top of the 'important' list. But using the system password to do that is not the preferred method to begin the join process.

The system password is handy for allowing non-members to see most site pages (except for member profiles). But one of the drawbacks is that there is no way to monitor who is using it - or when it's used.

The recommended process is to allow potential members to access the Join button which will direct them to the Class Profile list or the Missing list. And to create a guest member account for people who want to view your site. That works well, except for those who you want to be able to see everything (except member profiles) but not post anything. For those, using the system password is the only option - at least for now.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 12:10 PM - Response #4

Our site was hijacked by someone who could access the Join button and used it to add themselves under someone else's name on the profile list - which meant that we had a "member" that we didn't want and that the classmate whose profile was hijacked couldn't then join themselves. That's why we started using the system password. (We also use the "Verify" thingy now.)

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 12:27 PM - Response #5

Rocky, In an effort to test your System Password, I managed to delete it. My apologies. I have added a temporary one that you need to edit by going to the Edit Site Pages and Scrolling to the bottom and clicking Change Password.

I was able to test with my temporary password that I set and all tested as expected. I entered the System Password, received the Thank you. Please click here to continue>>> button and then landed on the homepage. I then was able to go to the Classmate Profiles page and select a profile that had not been claimed. I did not join.

My only guess is that you should possibly clear your cache and history before you do your next test.

Again, I am sorry to have accidentally deleted the system password earlier today.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 1:01 PM - Response #6

No problem about the password Scott. I changed it back. I tried it again, after clearing my cache and cookies and deleting the "saved password" for my account on the site. Still failed.

But now, for some reason, the system password suddenly started working for me the way you would expect it to. Go figure.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 2:47 PM - Response #7

I could say I will take credit for fixing the issue, but that wouldn't exactly be credible. Smile

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 5:18 PM - Response #8

What I did that seems to work is: rather than log out and then try to log back in with the system password, I logged out then closed the tab that had my site, reopened the site in a new tab and then was able to login with the system password. If I was logging back in with my email address, I didn't have to close the tab and reopen.

Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 2:23 PM - Response #9

We're back to the point where logging in with the system password simply returns to the login page. You ARE logged in at that point though, since LOG OUT appears in the left side menus, and you can view restricted pages.

Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 3:24 PM - Response #10

John, thanks for the heads up.

When I log in with the system password, it takes me back to the Login page, but does not display a LOG OUT button or any other navigation buttons. However, if I click on the logo picture on the left side, it takes me to the welcome page of the site - and indeed, I am logged in and can view those parts of my site that are available to folks who have not yet joined.

I guess I will have to create a new step-by-step guide for joining the site. (Sigh)

Edited 07/08/17 3:24 PM
Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 5:23 PM - Response #11

Hang in there Rocky! One of these days the programmers will actually get it right - and leave it there.

Saturday, July 8, 2017 at 6:29 PM - Response #12

One can only hope John! Very Happy

Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 5:59 PM - Response #13

System password is working again.

Monday, July 10, 2017 at 11:55 AM - Response #14

I received a message from the programmer that this was addressed yesterday.

Friday, April 13, 2018 at 12:48 PM - Response #15

I see it has been a year since it was fixed but the same thing is happening to me now. When i put in the system password, it says "thanks..." and when i click on it i go back to the same login page Any ideas?

Friday, April 13, 2018 at 2:00 PM - Response #16

Seems to work for me when I test. I located your system password and then logged out. I then went to one of your Upcoming Reunions pages that was restricted and clicked. I was prompted to log in or enter the system password. I added the system password and was taken directly to the restricted page.

Friday, April 13, 2018 at 10:32 PM - Response #17

Stan Maupin wrote:

I see it has been a year since it was fixed but the same thing is happening to me now. When i put in the system password, it says "thanks..." and when i click on it i go back to the same login page Any ideas?

Looks like one of the strange results posted in Response #1 have still not been fixed. There's a design oversight when it comes to some locked pages.

If the page you're trying to link to is the What's New page, and it's locked, it takes you to the Restricted page to log in. Logging in with the system password takes you back to the Restricted page. You ARE logged in at that point, and can then go to the What's New page, but it's blank since it's restricted and you're 'only' logged in with the system password.

Update: As it's working right now, just clicking Sign In and logging in with the system password simply returns to the Login page - with no hint about what just happened. It used to take you back to the home page.

At that point, you are logged in though, and you can view restricted pages if you click on links in the menus - except for profiles which tell you that you "must be logged in".

Edited 04/14/18 2:49 PM
Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 9:51 PM - Response #18

Whos on First and Whats on Second.

Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 4:34 PM - Response #19

John Ralph wrote:

Update: As it's working right now, just clicking Sign In and logging in with the system password simply returns to the Login page - with no hint about what just happened. It used to take you back to the home page.

This still appears to be a problem. It it on the list of things to be addressed as time permits?
Also, as it's currently working, logging in with the system password, then using the left side menu to go to the home page, and clicking on What's New (which is restricted) appears to do nothing. It just refreshes the home page.

Edited 05/26/18 4:46 PM
Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 12:23 PM - Response #20

Exact problem initially reported by this thread persists.

Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 1:10 PM - Response #21

F C Bock wrote:

Exact problem initially reported by this thread persists.

What should have been a simple fix was detailed in October of 2018 {HERE}

Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 9:46 PM - Response #22

Please try again. This should work for everyone now.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 11:52 PM - Response #23

Thanks. It's working again.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.