Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

ADDING A COUNTER

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/27/08 09:14 AM Views: 2167 Replies: 14
Monday, October 27, 2008 at 9:14 AM

I've added a counter to my home page.
I had to do it through notices.
I don't have a clue how to just have it on the page.
Can someone help me?
Actually, If it don't have a Customizable Link, I don't know what to do with anything on the page.
Thanks so much,
Karen

Edited 10/27/08 9:14 AM
Monday, October 27, 2008 at 9:29 AM - Response #1

Karen,
I went to sitemeter.com and used their counter. You can have several different designs. Also, it gives you statistics as to how many people have been to the site. Where they are from and other information that is useful such as which pages were viewed. How long they stayed and visited. They will also send you a daily report with all this information.
Once you sign up, just copy the code and paste it on your home page and your off and running. You can even set it to ignore your visits so when you go to your site to maintain it it doesn't count you.
I hope this helps.

Monday, October 27, 2008 at 10:02 AM - Response #2

Hi Karen,
I see you are just getting started! Here are the directions for adding a counter to your page.

First go to your home page and copy the address.
(Highlight the address, right click, and click on "Copy")

Open another tab or internet window.

Go to Google and type in Spirit Counters. The first one that comes up is this site. (Free Counters with Spirit....Spirit Counters !!!)Double Click on this site. It should take to you a sight that has "Spirit Counters" prominently near the top of your screen.

Click on Register a counter
Paste in the address on your home page
You have to fill in your correct mail address.
and put in the password you will remember.

Then click "Create It"

You will then go to a page with the code on it.
Highlight the code...Right Click...Copy the Code
(They will send you a copy of this page to your email address. You will not necessarily need it if you copied the code from this page.)

You can pick the way you want you counter to look by clicking on the "Counter Management Page" and choose the style you want. Then go to the bottom of that page and just click save. It will automatically change your counter on your web page. You do not have to change the code you copied. It will automatically install that style counter even if you have already installed it on your Home Page.

Now go to "Edit Pages" and choose your "Home Page"

If you want it at the bottom of the Home Page...
Click on [click here to manage Announcements]
Click on (Create a New Announcement)
Make your sort number 100 or some number that you can put other numbers in front of so those announcements will appear above the counter.
In Short Name put "Counter"
Leave "Active" Checkmarked
Leave Expiration Date Empty

Click in the Visual Editor Box and Center your Cursor.

Then Click "Source" from the Tool Bar

Right Click in the Visual Editor
Click "Paste"

Then Click on Source again and you should see your counter in the Visual Editor Box.

Click Save under the Visual Editor

and you should have a counter on your front page!

It looks alot more complicated than it really is.

There are alot of "Counter" sites out there, but I found this one to be the easiest to create, manage, and install.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Good Luck!
Anita

Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM - Response #3

Anita,
I followed your instructions for adding a counter and when I click on "source" my website address gets pasted in. Nothing happens when I clink on "source" again. Help . . .

Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 9:45 PM - Response #4

Hmmmm. Never heard anything like that before. What browser and browser version are you using? Did you copy your web site address to your clipboard before doing this? Can you reproduce this same thing using a different web browser?

Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 10:19 PM - Response #5

Sorry to sound stupid (and you are probably saying that I am) but . . . how do I do it again using a different browser?

Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 10:26 PM - Response #6

For instance, if you're using Internet Explorer, does this same thing happen with Firefox. You can download Firefox free at http://www.firefox.com. Or download Safari from http://www.apple.com. Or download Google Chrome from http://www.google.com/chrome. Using any of these other browsers do you get the same thing?

Edited 11/22/08 10:27 PM
Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 10:50 PM - Response #7

Yes. ALl that gets pasted in is my home page address.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 at 11:41 PM - Response #8

Take a look at my website and see what I mean

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 3:42 AM - Response #9

I see a counter on your home page working fine. Thus I'm assuming you resolved the problem?

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 12:53 PM - Response #10

Yep . . . FINALLY! This is fun building the site, but it can get frustrating! When I am finally thru, I will be an expert!

I would like to build a class business directoy. Is there anyway to have it on the link book-like or with tabs so that we can list businesses alphabetically?

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 1:11 PM - Response #11

Sure, I would put some tabs at the top and make them anchored links to the alphabetical businesses below. Now, when you get into stuff like this, you're getting into featues above and beyond the native features Class Creator provides. That's perfectly fine though, you have full accesss to your code so you can create anything you want relatively easliy. You just need to know a bit of html here (and don't let that scare you because what you need to know to do his is Kindergarten simple).

Just go to Google and search for "html tutorial". Lots of free tutorials will come up on page 1. In any of them just read the section on making an anchored link. You can learn to do it in just a few minutes and then you can create tabs and links on your page in any fashion you please.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 2:32 PM - Response #12

Do I put the tabs right in the visual editor? If so, how do I do that? Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions, but I'm new to this. Thanks for all of your help!

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 3:39 PM - Response #13

You could do that a couple of different ways:

Insert a table at the top, and make the cells have a colored background and then put text links inside the cells. Or you could actually make graphical tabs that you upload to the system, and then make each graphical tab clickable using an anchored link.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 at 10:00 PM - Response #14

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.