ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

PowerPoint Files

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/03/17 02:18 AM Views: 1483 Replies: 18
Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 2:18 AM

I can't figure out how to directly upload a PowerPoint presentation to my Class Website. I have 362 slides in the presentation and I don't want to load each individual slide and I don't want to convert it to a video. Any suggestions?

Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 9:44 AM - Response #1

Hi Michael,

Have you tried to upload it as a document/link? On any page with the editor there is an option on the second row of links a few over from the right that looks like a side ways chain link. When you click on that you have the option to upload documents that are not images such as PDF, Word, etc.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 10:13 AM - Response #2

I haven't tried that. I will try this afternoon and let you know how that works. Thanks for the quick response.

Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 1:29 PM - Response #3

Do you intend for people to download the PPS file to view?

Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 1:31 PM - Response #4

I couldn't get it to work. Tried uploading the PPTX file, after rotating arrow (upper left) finally quit spinning, nothing was there. In my limited knowledge, links mean linking to another website. I don't have another active website. Any other ideas? It seems like it should be simple to do, but why is isn't it? All I want to do is upload a PowerPoint presentation to the website.

Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 1:33 PM - Response #5

No. I want them to be able to view it on the website, just like everything else they view.

Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 3:33 PM - Response #6

I was able to use the 'chain link' icon in the editor to go to the "File Vault" and upload a PPTX file, although I saw a horizontal bar showing the upload progress instead of a spinning arrow.

I was then able to link to that file from a page. But...
Keep in mind that unlike a browser add-on for pdf's, some (perhaps many) members don't have Microsoft Office - especially those accessing from tablets and smartphones. Converting that file to either a YouTube video or a pdf may be the best 'universal' way to allow all members to view it.

Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 3:56 PM - Response #7

Then just uploading the file will not work. See John's answer.

Michael Easley wrote:

No. I want them to be able to view it on the website, just like everything else they view.

Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 4:00 PM - Response #8

Converting to a PDF works for most, but not ALL cases.

https://online2pdf.com/convert-pptx-to-pdf

YouTube works for ALL cases. One example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny2xTm8H2Pg

Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 4:00 PM - Response #9

John, thanks for getting back to me. I tried your process after converting to a PDF file. (By the way, when converting from PPTX to PDF, you lose the automatic slide advance, so if I am ever successful, people will be forced to manually advance 326 slides). I cannot get it to upload. So I tried drag and drop to the File Vault using the Link function. All I got was an error message, "file extension not allowed in this folder." I tried drag and drop to each of the File Vault's folders (Files, Images, Flash, & Basket) and got the same error message. I converted the PPTX file to a WMV file, can't load that either. Same response. Drag and drop --- same response. I am hesitant to convert to a YouTube video because I do not want to upload the presentation to You Tube, which seems a requirement. As you can tell, I am not techy, so could you cookbook your process for me - don't leave out any steps or I won't be able to do it. Thanks for your help. To the website administrators. I can't be the first member who wanted to upload a PPTX file. This shouldn't be this difficult.

Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 5:28 PM - Response #10

It really isn't as intuitive as it should be, but... like most things, it works - if you click on the right places in the right order.

First, there are two 'vaults'. One, the Image Vault, is accessed from the editor using the Image icon on the top row at the left. Yes, that initial screen that opens when you click the Image icon has a "File Vault' button, but that button is really the Image Vault. Only Images/pictures/photos can be uploaded there.

Using the chain Link icon at the right side of the editor's second row of icons also gives you a "File Vault" button, and at one time it went directly to the File Vault - where you can upload ANY file. But in the latest version of the editor it appears to open the Image Vault too. You'll notice though, that that there's now a "Files" folder at the top of the left side list of folders. Clicking on that folder will actually open the 'real' File Vault. And you can then upload into that.

I agree that the conversion to PDF is less than ideal when it forces people to manually page through what was auto-advancing frames in the PPTX. The video would certainly be a better choice, but... uploading the video to your file vault could eat up a fairly large chunk of your available vault space (which is a combination of the Image and File vault usage). I'd recommend using YouTube and embedding the YT link on whatever page you want people to find it. Your YT video can be marked as "Private" so that the general public will never see it, and you can still access it using the embed link on one of your web site pages).

Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 6:24 PM - Response #11

John,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I followed your instructions, found the File Vault after clicking on the chain icon, then went to the Files (upper left hand corner), I uploaded the PDF file, saw the horizontal line go all the way to 100%, but then was presented with "Uploaded 100% - 0" and "Error sending the file." While I was there, tried to upload the WMV file just to see if it would load, got the same horizontal line that appeared to upload 100%, but then was presented with the same "Uploaded 100% - 0" and a different message "[object: ProgressEvent]". Searching through the Files in the File Vault and neither the PDF or the WMV files were present. Note, when attempting to load the file into the Files Folder of the chain link File Vault, that file vault shows the identical image files that the File Vault from the menu of the Edit Page menu.

Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 10:25 PM - Response #12

Looks like CC has a bug in the file upload for LARGE files. Report in bugs. And that's why you are having issues. My test video of 35MB failed just like you said. Don't know where it cuts out, but for sure your file is also over whatever someone decided was too large (it could just be a setting CC has to change in the setup).

However, that said, you are much better off creating a YouTube video. You can upload the WMV to YouTube, set it to unlisted, insert the code and it's done. Will work for everyone and does exactly what you want.

PPTX not really supported by various, PDF won't auto advance and also not universal, leaving YouTube as the best solution - uses ZERO file vault space.

Edited 06/06/17 11:52 AM
Monday, June 5, 2017 at 12:03 AM - Response #13

Jack, I'm pretty sure I remember you uploading some large files (or maybe photos) in the past, but... I also wondered whether Michael might have been running out of vault space, or hitting some pre-defined size limit. So I tried a large video file - 121MB. It went slowly but appeared normal until it got just over 50%, where it stopped - and restarted. The restarted upload also got just past 50% again, and died there with the [object: ProgressEvent] error message. I have more than enough vault space to handle that file, so as you said, it's a 'bug' or a max size setting configured somewhere.

In any case, it's time for the CC staff to take a look.

Also interesting that tonight, clicking on the chain link icon went straight to the file vault. Didn't do that this afternoon, but perhaps that was because I had just gone to the Image Vault before trying to get to the file vault. As I described above, this afternoon clicking on the chain link's File Vault button took me to the image vault - with the Files folder added on the left.

Michael, I'm not sure why you would see duplicate images after using the chain icon and clicking on the Files folder. You CAN see the Image Vault images at that point by clicking on the Images folder on the left, but the only thing that displays when I click the Files folder are a couple files I've uploaded there.

Monday, June 5, 2017 at 12:57 AM - Response #14

I've never uploaded anything that large. I just uploaded 27MB and that worked. Failed at 30MB. Close enough for now.

ALL upload to 100%. The 30MB+ upload to 100% and then it says "Error sending the file" and "Uploaded 100% - 0".

A 100MB file uploaded 2X (it restarted like yours) and then said "[object ProgressEvent]".

Could just be a coding math mistake since the loop symptom sounds like it went negative and restarted.

Monday, June 5, 2017 at 1:24 PM - Response #15

Thanks John and Jack for all of your input on this. Still haven't cracked the problem, I think you both are correct that there might be a problem with programming. Just as an aside, the PDF conversion file of the PowerPoint Presentation is only about 41 megabytes. The WMV conversion is 79 megabytes. My original intent was to load the PPTX and then load an extensive music playlist that goes with it......of course that isn't going to happen. Not sure how to add the playlist if I can't load the PDF or WMV files. And really have never made a YouTube, but assume I have to add the playlist while making the YouTube Video, which would make the file HUGE (and probably exceeding someone's arbitrary File Vault limits). I seem to be running out of options here.

Monday, June 5, 2017 at 1:49 PM - Response #16

Very simple to create a YouTube video. Set the video to UNLISTED so only those who have the link can view it.

(step 0 make a YouTube account if you don't have one yet)
1. Sign into your YouTube account.
2. Click on Upload at the top of the page.
3. Before you start uploading the video you can chose the video privacy settings. (make it UNLISTED)
4. Select the video you'd like to upload from your computer. You can also create a video slideshow or import a video from Google Photos. (Have never done a sideshow but that might work for you too.)
5. As the video is uploading you can edit both the basic information and the advanced settings of the video ...
6. Click Publish to finish uploading a public video to YouTube. If you set the video privacy setting to Unlisted, just click Done to finish the upload or click Share to privately share your video.
7. If you haven’t clicked Publish, your video won’t be viewable by other people. You can always publish your video at a later time in your Video Manager.

Once the upload is completed we will send you an email to notify you that your video is done uploading and processing. You can then forward that email to friends or family for easy sharing. If you prefer not to receive notification, you can opt out by visiting your email settings.

see https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/57407?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Not sure what you mean by a Playlist. So expand on what you want. There are probably two ways to do that while the video is playing. But details vary on what you mean: MP3 files you have on your system or ??

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 11:50 AM - Response #17

For very large files, I usually recommend posting the item to a Dropbox and inserting a link to download the document. Typically, I ay to keep the documents to no more than 10mb as that is what I knew to be the limit previously. So I was surprised when I Jack said he was able to get to 27mb.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 11:57 AM - Response #18

What if someone actually wanted to upload a large file?

If there is a limit, that message needs to appear right up front. Can't see any reason for a limit though.

Sounds to me like a programming (math?) bug in the file manager that needs to be fixed. Especially the restarting symptom.

In this case the solution is to use YouTube. Nothing else would work on all devices.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.