ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

How do I use an anchor?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/15/08 07:18 PM Views: 6543 Replies: 25
Monday, December 15, 2008 at 7:18 PM

I presume an anchor is when I have a link at the top of the page that when clicked will take classmates to a specific location further down the page.

How do I create it? I want to put an announcement on the top of my page and have classmates click to take them directly to the new feature announcement without having to use one of my customizable links.

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 8:31 PM - Response #1

First, at the bottom of your page where you want the anchor, click the anchor icon and then give the anchor a name, such as "nomaplesyruphere".

Now you need to make a link to that anchor from the top of your page. You can click on an image and make a link, or you can use a text based link. In either case, click the chain link icon to make your link, and in the link box type in the name of your anchor with a pound sign before it. I.E.:

#nomaplesyruphere

Now save your page and test it live. When you click on your link at the top of the page, it should now jump down to your nomaplesyruphere anchor at the bottom of your page.

Monday, December 15, 2008 at 8:58 PM - Response #2

OMG!! Whenever I ask a question here, I wind up losing my wine/pop/beer and spewing it all over the monitor!!

nomaplesyruphere!!! BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!Laughing

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 at 5:36 PM - Response #3

I had to read "nomaplesyruphere" about 6 times before I knew what it said! Duhhhhhhhhhhh!

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 3:13 AM - Response #4

Bonnie Andrian wrote:

I had to read "nomaplesyruphere" about 6 times before I knew what it said! Duhhhhhhhhhhh!

For some reason, Brad has this unusual obsession with Canadian Maple Syrup. I don't know why.
-------------> Cathy is rolling her finger around her head indicating that Brad may be a bit kookoo. Wink

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at 2:26 PM - Response #5

Maybe I wouldn't have such an obsession with pure Canadian Maple Syrup if I actually HAD SOME here. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. ... Sad

Monday, February 9, 2009 at 11:43 AM - Response #6

I'd offered Canadian beer as bribery once before, now I now that its our maple syrup that he loves.
He's obsessed with Canada because where he lives is really part of Canada. That whole area would have been Canadian were it not for a bunch of drunken surveyors...

Monday, February 9, 2009 at 12:13 PM - Response #7

That would be just fine with me. Every time I cross the border I have the best time. Canada is just beautiful.

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 9:42 PM - Response #8

Brad, can you look at my senior picture wanted section on my home page and see what I am not doing to make this say "click here." I have been working on this for hours. Please...

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 10:50 PM - Response #9

Whassa matta? You've got the link in there, all you need to do is select it, cut it, highlight the words "click here", press your chain link icon, and then paste in the link. And then save. It also helps if you click your heels together three times and chant "there's no place like my home page."

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 1:06 AM - Response #10

By the way, I'd look at your site in Firefox. Your slide.com plugin is a little too large, and possibly others below it too. I'd bump the width down just a touch so the page snaps back together in Firefox. Firefox has become as popular as Internet Explorer.

Edited 02/24/09 1:07 AM
Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 8:05 AM - Response #11

Thanks. How much do I owe you? Seriously, it is wonderful to have you here to help. I will check out firefox when I get home from work tonight. Work really interferes with my website! I did the anchor on an earlier project but when I tried to do this one, Yikes! I need to write down step by step instructions! Thanks! off to work I go.

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 11:35 AM - Response #12

What you owe us is already "paid" so to speak. Every time you post a question here what you're doing is helping tons of people learn, including many people with the exact same question. For every person who posts here there's dozens who regularly read and rarely if ever post a thing. They come here looking to learn, find answers, do so, and they're outa here back to apply stuff on their web site. And that's perfectly fine of course. What happens as a result of all of this knowledge sharing is our own customer support questions drop by 90%. Now one person asks, and everybody learns. Seriously, you should have seen our daily emails before starting these forums. We were answering literally hundreds of questions daily, one at a time, getting absolutely overwhelmed. So, long story short, you can pay us back by just continuing to post, to learn, and to share. Smile

Edited 02/24/09 11:36 AM
Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 9:40 AM - Response #13

Hi Brad - can you look at my website and tell me how it looks? I want a professional opinion on if I have too much info or not enough, etc, since there seem sto be a very fine line between both. This is pretty knew for me. I constantly go to other admin. websites to get ideas and love this whole concept! I have had a huge number of classmates join and the feedback has been phenominal! Thanks so much for helping all of us bring our classmates back together!!!
www.central1979.com
Dawn Stalbird Estep

Thursday, March 5, 2009 at 1:44 PM - Response #14

Personally, I love it. I think it's outstanding. Clean and classy, really nice use of third party objects. Even a matching colored scroll bar to boot, terrific. Smile Of course this is coming from the guy who made our own Class Creator home page 10 miles long filled with all kinds of stuff, throwing most web 101 rules to the wind. But, class sites are all about fun -- I think you've done a super job.

Edited 03/05/09 1:47 PM
Tuesday, October 6, 2009 at 8:46 PM - Response #15

Dawn,
What did you use to get your great slide shows on your page, they are great!

Edited 10/06/09 8:46 PM
Sunday, December 6, 2009 at 5:40 PM - Response #16

Dawn, I am a VERY new subscriber & am learning as I go, trying to create a home page. I use the computer a lot but am not a code-talker. Your site is phenominal & I hope you won't mind (feel flattered!!) if I use some of your ideas.
I can't seem to manipulate the home page easily. Can't move text, pictures around like I'd like. Can you help me? Please speak in layman's terms. I learn this stuff quickly, but don't understand code-talk. Thanks for anything you can help me with.
Dale www.marshallmavs65.com

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 6:30 PM - Response #17

Hi Dale,

I am very flattered ~ thank you for the compliment. I am a "trial and error" kind of person, but truthfully, the Help Forums and other administrators in here helped me tremenously!

I would be more than happy to assist you with your website in any way that I can. Feel free to use anything I have on my site. I went ahead and made you a guest on my site. You will have to join like any other classmate though. Your name will be at the bottom of the Class of 79.

Good luck on your site and have fun with it!!!
Dawn

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 6:35 PM - Response #18

Hi Barbara,

The first one I used Photobucket and the next 2 I used Slide.com. Both sites are very easy to use. It is just a matter of down;oading pictures and then deciding on a theme and the way you want the pictures to be formatted. I really had fun using both sites and I like to change them up ever so often to keep my site fresh. Surprised)

If you need any help with the slideshows just let me know or I am sure Kyle, Brad or Jessica will be available. Those 3 people are priceless!

Dawn

Barbara Allen wrote:

Dawn,
What did you use to get your great slide shows on your page, they are great!

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 at 2:10 AM - Response #19

Thanks much for making me a guest. This is fun! Dale

Sunday, January 31, 2010 at 8:43 PM - Response #20

Brad, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong on the homepage with the red & green arrow link?

Thanks!

Sunday, January 31, 2010 at 10:25 PM - Response #21

Tricia Ford wrote:

Brad, can you tell me what I'm doing wrong on the homepage with the red & green arrow link?

Thanks!

Hi Trish, you might want to describe exactly what you're trying to accomplish with the red & green arrows, like where you expect to go on the page if your classmate clicks on either of them???

Right now, the code that is under the Playlist player declares an anchor called "redarrowpagedown" and displays a green uparrow on the page.

Monday, February 1, 2010 at 12:40 AM - Response #22

I figured it out. Thanks.

Monday, February 1, 2010 at 1:09 AM - Response #23

Looks good. You might want to put a hint on the green arrow or explicit text saying to click the green arrow to go back up to the top (the arrow is pretty small and it might not be obvious to all your classmates what it does?).

Monday, February 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM - Response #24

Hi Dawn,

I looked at your fabulous web site today. It is so clean and full of information. I could not see your sub pages because you have to log in and I don't really need to see them. However could you say more about your philosophy of protecting all of the pages to registered users? We haven't taken those steps and perhaps we should. Respond as you have time.

Thanks so much for sharing all your ideas much of the time. They help!

Donna

Thursday, April 7, 2011 at 8:49 AM - Response #25
TJ2 logo.jpg

I was looking at your site. What do you mean by adjusting the music?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.