ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Deceased Classmate Profile

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/06/08 07:55 PM Views: 2214 Replies: 11
Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 7:55 PM

I have updated a deceased classmate's profile from a family member and a friend of the family. But it won't show en masse like the details, profile and photo update in one piece. I wonder if I edit/delete /remove her name from In Memory will I be able to get a one piece profile. Then edit and put her name back as deceased . Will the system allow me to do that ? Now all I see is a blank page. Thanks!!!

Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 9:34 PM - Response #1

Can you private message me this person's name?

I'm not entirely sure I understand. Once you mark deceased, the former Profile is no longer visible and the new "In Memory" entry takes over. Although we are going to append a link from the bottom of the In Memory entry back to the last live Profile is there was one.

Removing form the list, changing things on the Profile, putting the person back on the deceased list, etc. will have zero impact on anything, so I'd recommend not bothering to try that. Unless I'm wrong, I think you're trying to see something in the former Profile for this deceased Classmate, but again, that area is no longer active once you mark somebody as deceased.

Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 10:48 PM - Response #2

Based on this subject, I went back and looked at our site. Under "Manage Classmates", I can update 'Details', 'Profiles', and 'Photos for the "In Memory" classmates. However, as you said, that information does not show up when looking at a deceased member's Profile. I think the only way I've been able to update a deceased member's information is to do it with "Post Response" on that page. But, that was a while back so I may not remember correctly.
R

Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 10:53 PM - Response #3

No... To update a deceased Classmate's info you would:

1) Click on Edit Site Pages
2) Click the Edit button next to your In Memory page
3) Click "Edit" next to the Classmate's name

Of course, the visual editor is there now, so you can add all the photos to the page that you want, music etc.

Note, you will still be able to edit the Profile info too, as we'll be appending a link from the In Memory entry back to the last live Profile. If anyone needs to make any adjustments there you'll still be able to do that.

Edited 09/06/08 10:53 PM
Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 11:12 PM - Response #4

Ah ha!
I think you've just hit the nail on the head! I'd forgotten that's how I'd added the actual deceased date! 65+ senility!

And, I'm guessing you just answered "Labyrinth"s question!

In my mind, it's not logical, however, now I know!

R

Saturday, September 6, 2008 at 11:14 PM - Response #5

What shall we do to make it more logical?

Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 12:55 AM - Response #6

Good question!

Logical to me would be when I'm in "Manage Classmates" and select a deceased classmate, to have the "In Memory" page edit version show up. That way, administrators wouldn't even have to think about going back to "Edit Site Pages", etc.

Currently, when I select a classmate in "Manage Classmates" it's unclear whether or not the classmate has "passed on".

And, it would be good to have "Manage Classmates" have some sort of indicator that the classmate had passed on so the administrator would have a clue as to what to expect.

OK... that's my 2ยข worth!
R

Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 1:04 AM - Response #7

Thanks Brad! I did the 1-2-3 steps and it's on its way to Sydney, Australia.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 1:08 AM - Response #8

Was it Ralph Waldo Emerson who wrote
" When you help someone you can't help but do something good for yourself"
Thanks " R "

Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 3:00 AM - Response #9

The only issue I have with that, is because we're going to append a link from the In Memory entry back to the last live Profile, admins will still need all the update functionality of the Profile. For instance what if they need to remove a photo? Or some bit of info that is no longer relevant. Thus we'd have to have some additional way there to get into In Memory.

I'll think more about this. Currently every single page of your site can be edited by going into Edit Site Pages and clicking the Edit button next to the page you want to edit. I'm not sure why editing In Memory would be any different from how every other page works. I think consistency is important. Just to remove all doubt about how this area works though, a couple months ago I made the system show instructions for adding In Memory entries under the public In Memory page that ONLY admins can see, and they can see the instructions ONLY if no In Memory entries already exist. Doing that stopped virtually all questions about how to add people to that area. I guess my assumpion was once people knew how to add deceased Classmates to that area, that they'd also return to edit Classamtes by taking the same steps to get back. But then, you know they say about assuming.......

Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 8:54 AM - Response #10

The way I see it is that we need the functionality of the profile update of deceased classmates. What if later on new information arrives that disproves what we thought was true but is proven not to be. My classmates are diversely located and I can see how this could happen.
I have added 2 stars next to deceased classmates name on the class list, so when I select a classmate in manage classmates it indicates to me they have passed on just like the 2 asterisks next to their name on classmate profile.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 11:08 AM - Response #11

I think that's a good idea. I'll just automate that.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.