ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Uploading Music Ground Rules?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/02/10 11:36 PM Views: 1276 Replies: 7
Monday, August 2, 2010 at 11:36 PM

I know I can upload YouTube videos of all sorts to our site but I'm wondering if I can add a song title I bought and downloaded from Amazon for $0.99? I suspect not? I didn't see anything about this in the FAQ and perhaps I'm just suppose to know better? Thanks.

Reply
Edited 08/02/10 11:36 PM
Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 12:53 AM - Response #1

Susan,
You can upload the song file. Simply register with playlist.com, create a FREE player, search the song by name with or without the artist name in your search.
Copy the embedded code to the page on your site you desire. (while your at it, add more songs to your playlist) FREE up to 200 songs total.

www.playlist.com

Have fun, good luck -

Kevin

Reply
Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 5:16 AM - Response #2

Three things on this:

1) Yes, technically you can upload a song you purchased to your web site.

2) No, it would definitely not be legal to do so.

3) We are about to release an mp3 uploader/playlist that you can use on any page of your site. While we won't be policing mp3s that are uploaded, clearly you'll want to use it for music you have the right to distribute, such as a school fight song, etc.


Reply
Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 5:31 AM - Response #3

Brad Switzer wrote:

Three things on this:

1) Yes, technically you can upload a song you purchased to your web site.

2) No, it would definitely not be legal to do so.

3) We are about to release an mp3 uploader/playlist that you can use on any page of your site. While we won't be policing mp3s that are uploaded, clearly you'll want to use it for music you have the right to distribute, such as a school fight song, etc.


Understood -- thank you Brad.

Reply
Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 9:20 AM - Response #4

Hmmmm, is it legal/ethical to play a list of songs from playlist.com on our class websites? If not legal, is it financially feasible to get the legal right to do so, and does anyone know how to go about doing that?

Reply
Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM - Response #5

Brad,

This seems to be as good a forum as any to ask this question.

Is there a way to convert media player files to the web site? I was sent audio from a high school play, hockey play by play, etc from high school that I would like to put on my site.

Thanks, Jim Shafer
Irondequoit High School Class of 1980

Reply
Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM - Response #6

Wm "Bill" Richmond Holly wrote:

Hmmmm, is it legal/ethical to play a list of songs from playlist.com on our class websites? If not legal, is it financially feasible to get the legal right to do so, and does anyone know how to go about doing that?

According to Playlist.com they have the right to distribute the music. As a general rule though, whenever you're inserting any third party plugin you should check out the site and ensure everything is on the up and up.


Reply
Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM - Response #7

JIM SHAFER wrote:

Brad,

This seems to be as good a forum as any to ask this question.

Is there a way to convert media player files to the web site? I was sent audio from a high school play, hockey play by play, etc from high school that I would like to put on my site.

Thanks, Jim Shafer
Irondequoit High School Class of 1980

You mean the files are in the .wmv format? Or some other format? Generally you can convert any format to any other format if you have a conversion utility. We'll be releasing our custom mp3 uploader/player in roughly a couple weeks, stay tuned for that, as it will likely help you a great deal with adding your own music to your site.


Reply
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.