ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

blown out page

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/17/11 10:43 AM Views: 1314 Replies: 3
Sunday, July 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I have searched for the cause of the blown out page for several days including looking at the Help Forums. I give up. The page is "Remembering Roseland" and all was fine until I resized the photos to 500.

I didn't remember why I had put a "no hard space" line in the beginning of the code but did it just in case I needed it. It didn't make a difference.

Please help & thanks!
Carole

Edited 07/17/11 10:53 AM
Sunday, July 17, 2011 at 12:09 PM - Response #1

The page looks fine in FireFox.

The problem is most likely caused by your URLS at the bottom of the page. FireFox can wrap them, but Internet Explorer doesn't know how to wrap them.

http://respublica.typepad.com/respublica...nts/page/2/#comments\

If you change the displayable portion of the URL to "Click HERE for the article" or something like that, your blowout would be smaller. Then you could work on the other URLs if they are causing continued blowouts.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM - Response #2

That was it! I never thought about the URLs and kept fooling with the photos and text on the first article. Lots of time wasted but a good lesson learned.

Thanks so much!
Carole

Sunday, July 17, 2011 at 2:02 PM - Response #3

Anything with no physical spaces in it can cause a blowout.

I think it is a rule that a URL cannot have any spaces in it.

Another common thing that causes blowouts is "ALL UPPER CASE LETTERS". When you enter these type of strings, the browser inserts a HARD SPACE (not wrappable), so if you have a long title of all UPPER CASE letters, it can cause a blowout.

A third common blow-out cause is trying to use the dash or equals character to separate text, like this "------------" or "=========". If you have too many of these with no spaces in between, it will cause a blowout problem. Both "- - - - - - -" and "= = = = = = =" work fine to separate text, but don't have a problem because of the spaces between the characters.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.