ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Live Chat and Instant Messaging

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/20/10 02:41 PM Views: 1434 Replies: 7
Monday, December 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM

My site was one of the original free sites and so the Instant Messaging and Live Chat features weren't available to me when they were launched as premium features, and so I never paid much attention to notifications or instructions about them. I've recently upgraded to premium site status and now need to understand how these things work. Has a set of instructions been written here in the help forums or elsewhere? I'd really like to start with an understanding of the difference between Instant Messaging and Live Chat.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM - Response #1

Instant Messenger is simply the IM screen for quick notes between any given signed in users.

Live Chat is more involved. While you can use Live Chat simply for short person to person notes, you can also use the Video Chat feature which allows you to utilize your webcam to be seen by others. In this mode, you can speak directly to the person on the other end. Obviously it helps to be interacting with another member who also has a webcam.

It simply has more features. Some of the admins use it for committee meetings too. I've seen some threads on that so you'll probably find that in a search.

Monday, December 20, 2010 at 3:04 PM - Response #2

There are extensive Instructions built right into the Live Chat feature. Just click on the ? icon.

Edited 12/21/10 11:44 AM
Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 8:06 AM - Response #3

Brad is typing from his phone, we can tell that Wink. I have another related question, which is basically Denise being nosy.

Is there a way I as admin can tell which of my classmates has the IM feature turned off, similar to being able to tell who has opted out of emails? Obviously this is about communication and who is "there" but isn't "there". (Not that I can do anything about it, I am just wondering)

DKD

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 10:39 AM - Response #4

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

Instant Messenger is simply the IM screen for quick notes between any given signed in users

Thanks Scott. Are instant messages viewable by any signed in users? Or are they only seen by individuals involved in the messaging?

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 11:48 AM - Response #5

Heh, I was typing from my phone! I'm at my mother's in Colorado, you guys are good. Smile

No, an Admin cannot tell who is logged in but has IM turned off. We made the determination that reporting this crosses privacy lines. However if you check your Last Logins table on your Statistics page you can kinda put 2 and 2 together if you're really determined.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 11:49 AM - Response #6

Dick Bell wrote:

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:
Instant Messenger is simply the IM screen for quick notes between any given signed in users

Thanks Scott. Are instant messages viewable by any signed in users? Or are they only seen by individuals involved in the messaging?

The user must be signed in to see the Instant Messaging feature at all. When messages are sent, they are ONLY visible to the sender and the recipient. Unlike the Live Chat feature, all IM communications are private.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010 at 4:12 PM - Response #7

Thanks for the clarification Brad.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.