Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Profile Custom Questions Report

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 08/02/10 05:37 PM Views: 2323 Replies: 12
Monday, August 2, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Hi, Brad --

Back at the end of March, I wrote:
If the Default and Custom questions could be downloaded into a single Excel file, in standard one-row-per-Classmate-record format, this would make compilation much easier for us.

Even if the Default and Custom questions have to be in separate files, I am PLEADING with you for the output to be in what I regard as a standard one-row-per-Classmate-record format.

The Default Question CSV download results in a standard row/column format. The Custom Question CSV download does not. It is a series of questions for one name, then a series of questions for the next name, and so forth. From a database point of view, this data can be extracted, but it sure is a lot of needless work.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE !!
Make the Custom Question CSV download have an output that is useable ! We have 67 days until our reunion, and there is info on the Custom Questions there that I'd really like to have access to. I imagine that there are other people using custom questions who have the same need.

Let me know your thoughts on this -- THANK YOU.

-- Fred

Monday, August 2, 2010 at 7:38 PM - Response #1

If we do this now is there any free ice cream involved? The power of pleading is always enhanced by free ice cream.

Monday, August 2, 2010 at 8:11 PM - Response #2

Hi Fred (& Brad)
The work can be significantly reduced by using the VLOOKUP function in Excel which is specifically designed for use in databases.

I have just tried it out for my Class and completed the exercise in less than 10 minutes.

Procedure:
Download both Profile-Default and Custom questions into separate Excel files.
Copy and Paste the Custom questions into the Profile-Default page of to the RH side of the page so that all your information is on one Worksheet.

To the right of the 2 Default columns head up additional columns with the headings of the Custom questions.

Say Column C is now headed say. "Skype Address"
Then in Column C, opposite each Name heading, type in your VLOOKUP formula (there is a wizard which will guide you through it) which will look something like this:

=VLOOKUP(A16,$I$15:$J$63,2,FALSE)
Where A16 is the cell with the Name of the classmate on the left, and

Where $I$15:$J$63 are the cell coordinates of the "Skype" default list which you pasted in, (The $ signs around the coordinates are necessary to maintain the list as an absolute reference) and

Where 2 refers to the second column of the "Skype" list as the information you want to capture.
FALSE means that the names must be an exact match.

Then copy the formula down your classmate list opposite each Classmates name (hit "copy" then keep your finger on CTRL as you click on each subsequent cell to Paste in one ation)

Repeat for the next Custom question.

It sounds complicated, but is actually very simple.

Edited 08/02/10 8:14 PM
Monday, August 2, 2010 at 8:17 PM - Response #3

Hey Michael - you're up either very early or very late in Durban. But there's nothing wrong with your mind! Thanks for that smart 'work-around'Idea I bet you used VisiCalc!

Edited 08/02/10 8:18 PM
Monday, August 2, 2010 at 8:25 PM - Response #4

Thank, Michael. I am about to tackle the job of downloading profiles, and this will save a LOT of time.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 12:01 PM - Response #5

We have started into this (even though Fred hasn't offered up the ice cream yet). Stay tuned.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM - Response #6

Thank you, Brad --
I sent a 5-gallon pail of Rocky Road to you in Michigan, via USPS parcel post. It should get there soon.

One of our classmates is a wine distributor, and has offered 10 cases (120 bottles) of French red and California white wine for our reunion. A part of me wants to say "Forget the wine, and just donate the cash !" but I suspect we'll have fun with the wine.

Thanks for your help on this -- I appreciate it.
-- Fred

p.s. Pretty often when I make a post, someone writes and wants to know how I put those images on the outside of the template borders.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 1:25 PM - Response #7

lol. Good luck bribing any of our competition like that!

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 8:40 AM - Response #8

Fred, Brad is going to have a great time with all us Admins sending him gifts. It's better than Christmas. The rocky roads sound delicious. He better not come back and blame us for his expanding belly later onSmile

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM - Response #9

I think Brad and CC should relocate to the geographic center of the continental USA so it will be easier for all of us to drop in with bribes!

Friday, August 6, 2010 at 1:10 AM - Response #10

Bribe update: The Canadian syrup didn't make it and is likely delayed in customs, the brisket is on the way to northern Wisconsin where it will be smoked by Famous Dave, and Fred's phantom rocky road ice cream is still melting somewhere in a warehouse.

FYI I think all of you are great (yea that even includes you Fred). The new Profile export is nearly done and should be live in the system next week. See ya'all when I get back. Now don't get too carried away around here.

Friday, August 6, 2010 at 4:29 AM - Response #11

Very Happy I wouldn't try to smoke that brisket a second time - might be too strong then! LOL
Enjoy your time off.

Steve Very Happy

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 at 10:49 PM - Response #12

Had the brisket tonight. Didn't smoke it a second time of course. As luck (or bad luck) would have it Dave wound up unable to make it on the night we chose to serve the brisket. But everybody else was here at his cabins having a huge feast tonight. The brisket was wonderful. Personally I liked it better without the bbq sauce, or very light sauce. I think most of the others felt the same. We had a wonderful night out here tonight and I wanted to say an extra thank you Steve for helping make the night possible. Everyone asked me to pass along their thanks, and they got a kick out of the fact that a customer sent this over. So thank you from the whole gang, it truly was enjoyed and appreciated.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.