ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Nesting Photo Galleries

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/02/10 05:28 PM Views: 1423 Replies: 3
Monday, August 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM

We've got 6 photo galleries on our menu. I'm trying to figure out if it would be possible to nest them after we've already got them established. Right now Main Photo Gallery has 2 galleries (albums?) under it with 6 photos each. The Yearbooks Gallery has one for each year under it, more as we get them all scanned. Then we have 2 junior high/middle school galleries, and Elementary Gallery with 10 schools under it, and a Reunion Gallery.

Can we nest these last 5 all under the Main Gallery and still have each of the same sets of sub-galleries under them? If so, how many layers down can we go? And if not, why not--put that on the request list!

I see instructions for picking what "Within Link" to place a gallery but it didn't seem to let me choose one that's under a different gallery.

Monday, August 2, 2010 at 6:13 PM - Response #1

Whew! You always make me think Mary. That's something I definitely like about you. I've read this 5 times and I think your question boils down to 2 things:

1) How many layers can you create within a photo gallery; and,
2) Can you move a gallery under another gallery instead of moving it to a main gallery under a gallery navigational link

Assuming I've got the questions right let me answer:

1) You can have any number of main gallery links, and under those links you can have any number of galleries. Under each gallery you can have unlimited sub galleries if (IF AND ONLY IF) that gallery is a community gallery. So if it's not a community gallery then the galleries all exist at level 1. If the gallery is a community gallery, then any number of sub galleries under that community gallery exist at level 2.

2) You're wanting to move a gallery that wasn't part of a community gallery inside of an existing community gallery. No can do. Currently, anyway. The community gallery setup was created under the assumption that the community is truly the ones adding the sub galleries. So for instance if a Classmate went in and created a sub gallery inside of a community gallery, there would be no way to move that Classmate's gallery so it becomes part of a different community gallery.

Now, regarding #1, I fear adding that level of complexity wouldn't be wise here. If you really need multiple layers before you actually arrive at a real photo gallery you'll be able to do it shortly when the unlimited page system with flyout and dropdown arrive. Using that you'll be able to create any structure you want, you'll be able to put any content you want within that structure, and your final link can be to the true photo gallery, thereby accomplishing exactly what you're asking without the need for building multiple "folders" more or less inside Gallery Creator itself. I can certainly see the validity of the need, I just don't see it as being something most would need or use with a typical photo gallery scenario.

Question #2 I'm going to run past a programmer and see if there's a simple solution for this or if a major rewrite is required. In either case we probably won't be revising anything on Gallery Creator until after the launch of the new CSS designs so we're looking at least 10 weeks out. Great question though, I appreciate you bringing this one up. I was absolutely positive that I had thought of every single thing somebody would need on Gallery Creator, and then along comes Mary asking how to move galleries into different community sub galleries. Ya got me! Smile

Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 10:50 PM - Response #2

Our reunion is tomorrow.
I've asked all attending to bring their digital cameras and requested they take a ton of pictures.
With the 'public' photo galleries, can I tell who added each picture? If I get some 'rouge' putting pictures on that are inappropriate, can I cut them off? What controls do I still have once additions are opened to all?
roger

Friday, August 6, 2010 at 12:09 AM - Response #3

Yes, when you mark a gallery as a Community Gallery, all photos uploaded are credited to the contributor. If you're concerned about a rouge posting inappropriate photos, just click the admin approval checkbox. This way no photos posted by members go live on your site until you've seen and approved them first.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.