ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Showing Profiles

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/23/09 12:57 PM Views: 3776 Replies: 8
Monday, March 23, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Brad,

As I build my class data base I am finding that many members do not have internet access and, therefore, don't have an email address and can't register on the site. Getting an email address from hotmail, for example, is really a non-starter with no internet access. For security purposes I don't let classmate profiles appear until that classmate has registered. This means that registered classmates can never view profile information that I have updated with information from classmates via snail mail or telephone. Is there any way that these type profiles can be made visible to registered classmates without showing other classmate profiles that we have not contacted but for whom I have some profile information entered.

Thanks,
Lee Gilmore

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 1:17 PM - Response #1

If I understand it right, nothing that YOU enter in a profile is ever visible to other classmates until that classmate creates a profile and puts in their phone & address, etc.

So you can use that classmate's Details page to keep the information that the reunion committee thinks is current until the profile is actually created by the classmate. These details will never be displayed to any classmate until the profile is created.

When you export the class to a spreadsheet, all of the contact information you have entered for missing classmates will still be exported to the spreadsheet.

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 1:20 PM - Response #2

I think what you might be wanting is creating a profile for a member that doesn't have internet access.

Just create a profile for the user and put "NotMissing" in the e-mail address. This is a key to the system to not mark this user as missing and allow the profile to be visible to other classmates.

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 1:57 PM - Response #3

That is exactly what I want to do. However, I entered NotMissing in the email block on the Details Tab of several classmates and when I click on Classmate Profiles and click on the classmate name the profile is still not shown. Get the normal " If your are...." page. In fact, the classmates are still shown on the Missing Classmates page. Any more thoughts?

Lee Gilmore

Edited 03/23/09 2:16 PM
Monday, March 23, 2009 at 2:20 PM - Response #4

Try "notmissing", all lower case

Check out this forum to see if this is really what you want

http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?messageid=DC92FD44-FCB2-41D1-FF6C96F347343823#DC92FD44-FCB2-41D1-FF6C96F347343823

Edited 03/23/09 2:22 PM
Monday, March 23, 2009 at 4:01 PM - Response #5

Kyle Erickson wrote:

If I understand it right, nothing that YOU enter in a profile is ever visible to other classmates until that classmate creates a profile and puts in their phone & address, etc.

That's the default. But if the Admin clicks on Manage Classmates, clicks the Enter/Edit Classmates button, and selects the second radio button at the top of the page, Admin-entered info will show up on the Classmate's Profile even though the Classmate has not joined.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 1:59 PM - Response #6

Thanks Brad. I did this, but have noticed something. When I click on the person in the 'Profiles' list, it shows the info entered. But, when I click on the same person on the Missing page, it does not show any of the info.

You can see what I mean by looking at "Stephanie Cates Meadows Nelson" on my profiles/missing page. I thought I would enter a little info on what we do know about her, to maybe help someone locate her. Just don't know why it is not showing on the missing page.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 4:15 PM - Response #7

We're going to have the programmers make an adjustment - if you have the radio button under Manage Classmates set to display classmate info if they have not yet joined we'll be displaying that info under Missing Classmates and the Profile page. You won't need to change anything on your end since you already have that selected.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 at 4:30 PM - Response #8

Thanks Brad!Very Happy

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.