ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Virus

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/18/11 06:06 PM Views: 1211 Replies: 3
Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I just saved a welcome gif file and uploaded it to my home page. Norton has just warned me of a security risk. Can that gif file comprise the security of the site and pass the security risk on to others via the site?

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM - Response #1

Hi Richard,

I just checked your home page with my system running norton 360 and did not receive any notices. It must have just been a generic warning not pertaining to a specific file.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 6:22 PM - Response #2

No - not directly. Only files that can be "executed" in some way can compromise a site. GIF, JPG, PNG, etc graphic files are for display only - meaning they can never run as "code".

Code that can compromise would be .exe, java/javascript, flash, other embedded web objects that I can't remember and so forth.

However, if you RENAME a GIF to one of the other executable extensions, it's quite possible to make it into a virus. Still the user has to "run" it in some way. That's sort of unlikely - so perhaps Norton is being extremely paranoid Question

P.S. Jessica, FYI just because some program says there's not a problem is not proof positive. I've had a few instances where users were infected and had no clue. Indeed had to go out of my way to show them why my program was telling them it was modified by something (meaning I have code that can tell if a virus gets attached to my code).

Edited 05/18/11 6:28 PM
Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM - Response #3

Thanks. I didn't think so but I wasn't sure. I wanted to make sure I didn't pass it along.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.