ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Creating Links

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/15/10 02:20 PM Views: 2026 Replies: 15
Friday, January 15, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I promise to print out and keep all answers, so I won't have to ask again, something that has probably explained in detail so many times, but for now here goes...

There are several videos of a large fire in Marshall, Texas that I can get the link to. What I want to do is place that little flashing yellow icon that says "New" on my Home Page with a caption like "Click here to see Sam Houston School fire",and have the video come up and play. So, my first question is where do I place the link (it is very long), do I use Source, Image? Next, is how to create and place the "Click here link", finally, do I just cut and past the little icon?

Friday, January 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM - Response #1

Edd Clark wrote:

There are several videos of a large fire in Marshall, Texas that I can get the link to. What I want to do is place that little flashing yellow icon that says "New" on my Home Page with a caption like "Click here to see Sam Houston School fire",and have the video come up and play. So, my first question is where do I place the link (it is very long), do I use Source, Image? Next, is how to create and place the "Click here link", finally, do I just cut and past the little icon?

First, in a content editor (home or announcement or custom page) insert the YELLOW FLASHING ICON where you want it. If you want them to click on the caption, type a caption now. This will be what the classmates click on.

Second, Select the yellow graphic (in graphical view - NOT SOURCE) - or select the text that you want to become the link.

Third, click on INSERT/EDIT LINK, paste the VERY LONG LINK into the window and click OK. The LINK will be inserted around whatever is selected, in this case an image.

Friday, January 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM - Response #2

Thank you very much. I will let you know as soon as I give it a try.

Saturday, January 16, 2010 at 7:02 PM - Response #3

Thanks Kyle, you are the man. Now for what is probably a dumb question. How do I set up a link from my Home Page to another active website page, like my Home Page to Military Service?

Saturday, January 16, 2010 at 7:07 PM - Response #4

First Right-click over your Military Custom Page and copy the link location.

Then edit your home page, type "CLICK HERE FOR MILITARY PAGE" where you want it in the content and select that text.

Next, with the text selected, click INSERT/EDIT LINK.

For the link location, just paste the location of the military page that you copied before editing your home page. Then insert the link

Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 10:00 AM - Response #5

Kyle,

Thanks to your directions I got my link on my page. It is a Png. BUT, it has a purple line around it? It is a glass of beer,in my This & that page.Is that normal?

Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 10:08 AM - Response #6

Yes, the blue line indicates to others that it can be clicked on (is a link)

Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM - Response #7

Okay, wanted to be sure I did it right.

Thanks for the quick reply and for all you help.I learn something everytime I read your responses.

Nancy

Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 1:37 PM - Response #8

Thanks again Kyle. On an earlier comment about linking to an active custom page, you said to right click on the page and choose "Copy Link Destination", I could not get that prompt anywhere I clicked. However, I finally made it work by clicking on "Copy Shortcut". I guess it's all the same, since it worked?

Sunday, January 17, 2010 at 3:47 PM - Response #9

Yes, same thing.

Monday, February 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM - Response #10

I am confused. Could you please explain the difference between links and anchors? When would you use either one?

If you wanted to go to the bottom of a page, is there a special or keyword that you use?

I am trying to post an announcement and then direct the my peers to the Message Forum for their comments. I would like to go to the bottom of the page so they can enter their comments. I am not sure whether I need to be inserting an anchor or a link.

Help

Monday, February 22, 2010 at 1:26 PM - Response #11

George Ybarra wrote:

I am confused. Could you please explain the difference between links and anchors? When would you use either one?

If you wanted to go to the bottom of a page, is there a special or keyword that you use?

I am trying to post an announcement and then direct the my peers to the Message Forum for their comments. I would like to go to the bottom of the page so they can enter their comments. I am not sure whether I need to be inserting an anchor or a link.

Help

George,

A LINK will take you someplace - to a different web page or a different part of a page. A LINK is visible and can be clicked on.

An ANCHOR is the naming of a certain part of a page so that a link can go to that part of the page. If you wanted to say "Click HERE to go to the bottom", you would go to your bottom-most part of your page (either an announcement or home page content) and place an ANCHOR - named "BOTTOMMOST" or something like that. Then you would create a LINK around the text "Click here..." that says to go to that anchor.

The Message Forum has a built-in anchor to the bottom. You can paste this as your link and it will go to the bottom of the message forum:

http://www.classcreator.com/El-Paso-TX-1969/class_forum.cfm#bottom

Monday, February 22, 2010 at 2:07 PM - Response #12

Thank you Kyle for your response. It helped tremendously.

George

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM - Response #13

One of the adminstrators of our site would like to place a link on our home page which would go to a photo posted on a classmate's page. Is it possible to do that? In order to do that, she would need to have access to the anchor icon and I don't see any place on the classmate pages where that is available. Maybe I'm missing something? Thanks!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 12:57 PM - Response #14

Currently you cannot put a named anchor before a specific photo on a Classmate Profile page. You can put a named anchor just above all of the photos though. If you do that and then you make the photo in question the first photo, it would have the same impact. Let me know if that's what you'd like to try and I'll teach you how to do it. I'll need the Classmate name and the photo in question.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM - Response #15

To add an anchor tag in the Classmate Profile with a photo, add your photo to the photo gallery, place the following code in the caption box: ...at the beginning of the caption. Change "YOUR_ANCHOR" to whatever you please. Then, when you link to that page, add #YOUR_ANCHOR to the end of the link.

This will take the person directly to the caption for the photo you are directing them to.

Thanks

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.