ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

My Announcements 'blow out' in Chrome Only

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/29/11 11:03 PM Views: 1062 Replies: 8
Thursday, September 29, 2011 at 11:03 PM

I have always been able to find where I have made an announcement too wide and blow out to the bottom of Home Page. This time I am having no luck. The strange thing, all is fine in IE9, as well as Firefox 7. Announcements ONLY blown to the bottom of Home Page while using Chrome. This is my second day using Chrome, so might have been there all along in Chrome users...

Any Help from support would be appreciated. Thanks!

Friday, September 30, 2011 at 1:56 AM - Response #1

Also Opera and Safari.

Friday, September 30, 2011 at 2:48 PM - Response #2

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

Also Opera and Safari.

Hi Jack, are you saying my site does similarly as Chrome, with Opera and Safari also?

This is strange. My other site, www.AnadarkoHS60.com, is very similarly setup. It does not have an issue with Chrome. Now wondering about it for Opera and Safari.

Friday, September 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM - Response #3

Yes. Chrome, Safari and Opera all the same. I suspect that technically there's a "mistake", for example, a missing html ending tag (first guess) that is compensated for by IE and FF.

Maybe you can find it by looking at your raw source in the editor. I'd copy and paste it into Notepad to make that job easier.

When I see a browser difference I reconstruct a section in pieces to get to the part that does not work. But I do that with a local html editor vs online.

If it wasn't the home page, I'd suggest to creating a test pages in a new gallery. But you can't mimic this issue without having the right side also.

Friday, September 30, 2011 at 4:09 PM - Response #4

Hi Derrell,

I see them normally in IE8 and Firefox on Windows, and I see a problem in Safari on Windows. Normal in Firefox (versions 4 and 7) on Mac, problems in Safari and Chrome on Mac.

When I look at the code of your announcements, I see that the content of at least the "New to Site" one and possible others was pasted in from a Microsoft Word document. The code generated by Word is known to interfere with the normal functioning of websites, so the editor has a button in the top row with an icon that looks like a clipboard with a "W" on it. This button allows you to paste in content from Word and tries to strip out most of the bad code while preserving the formatting. It isn't perfect, but it might be worth a try using that.

If that doesn't do it, you're going to have to try a systematic approach to identify which announcement is causing the problem.
1. Load your home page in either Chrome or Safari. Only log in if you have seen the problem while logged in.
2. If you did log in, then open a new tab or window and separately load the site in that. If you didn't log in, open a different browser and log into your site using that.
3. In the window in which you are logged in, go to Edit Site Pages, edit your home page, and edit announcements.
4. Turn off all the announcements.
5. Turn on one announcement, switch to the other window, refresh the page and see if the announcements are still too wide to appear where they should.
6. Go back to step 4, and in step five, turn on the next announcement after the one you turned on in the previous iteration. IMPORTANT: Make sure only one announcement is active at a time, so you can identify ALL the ones that are causing the problem. ALSO IMPORTANT: refresh the browser window showing the home page EACH TIME, and make sure to check that the content of the announcements reflects the currently active announcement in the editor. Make note of the name of each announcement which blows out.
7. Once you have identified all the problem announcements, then we can focus on those and identify which are causing the problem.

Friday, September 30, 2011 at 5:28 PM - Response #5

Thanks Eric, that makes sense. Some of those announcements I got from our 'sister' class of 1959, with his pastes. That is likely the culprit. Thanks for the process to search.

I think most my class is probably IE or Firefox, but never know. Actually, a couple are using MACS, so ????

Friday, September 30, 2011 at 8:02 PM - Response #6

Hi Eric,

Your Systematic Approach was the way to find it. It was the VERY LAST announcement, "Refer a Friend". I just grabbed the same from my other site for 1960 that had no issues, and put it on to this website for 1961 (changing the Referal Code). Geez, that announcement has been there for a very long time. Good I tried Chrome I guess, and would have never known about Safari and Opera if you and Jack had not noted.

Maybe one of you could take a quick glance again with Safari and Opera, as I do not have those.

Thanks all, I am good to go again.

Edited 09/30/11 8:03 PM
Friday, September 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM - Response #7

Safari OK, Opera not OK starting after the first image - at "New to this website".

Opera is a small audience, however, it indicates there's still a technical problem in there somewhere.

Friday, September 30, 2011 at 9:00 PM - Response #8

Thanks Jack! I think I will just live with it now. Pretty well optimum, and I don't know of anyone in my small class using Opera, but believe that there were a few using Safari, and definitely Chrome.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.