ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Privacy concerns

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 07/17/08 09:33 AM Views: 2023 Replies: 18
Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 9:33 AM

I've had concerns from classmates about their names coming up in google searches. Tried it myself. googled someone's name and the message forum page is listed. you can click the link and go directly there. Anyway to prevent this besides me password protecting pages?
thanks...keep up the good work

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 9:40 AM - Response #1

Under the "MEMBER PROFILE" section each member can adjust their profile visibility by going into "EDIT PROFILE", scroll all the way down toward the bottom and put a check mark in the box next to: "Allow only fellow Classmates to view my Profile details. Note: Checking this box will block the general public and search engines from accessing your Profile details. If you want other classes, friends, family, etc. to be able to view your Profile page you should leave this option unchecked."

That will prevent search engines from digging through your site.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 11:07 AM - Response #2

You can password protect the entire website if you want to prevent search engines from finding it. However, if you password protect your classmate profiles and homepage, no one will be able to find it or access it.

In the 'edit pages' section, check password protect for all your pages EXCEPT classmate profiles and the homepage. Once your classmate logs in and creates their own profile, they will have full access to the site and will only need their login password, not a password for all pages.

If they google the reunion or their name, then the only pages that will display are the classmate profiles page and the homepage. They can further do what the poster above said, to check the box in their profile to keep it off of search engines.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 11:17 AM - Response #3

What I did was password protect all the pages except for the home page and a page called new to website page.

I password protected the classmates profiles page so that those that had already made a profile would not be searchable on the search engines. Many had concerns that ex spouses, ex friends, etc could find them and see where they were currently living even if they chose the privacy options for their profiles.

I then made a separate missing page for those classmates that still had not made a profile so that they could still join the site through that page. The problem was that when you password protected the classmate profiles page it also password protected the missing classmates page that is preprogrammed by the classcreator site. I had emailed Brad about this issue and he could not give a solution for this problem so I had to deactivate the classcreator "missing page" and create my own by copy and pasting that one and using one of the links. Then on the "new to website" page I directed classmates to go to the missing page to create their profile.

This has helped both in the privacy issues as anyone could go and email the classmates if they did not have a profile as well as it eliminated the "lurkers" who were just going to see who was signing up and not making a profile of their own.

Good luck!

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 3:17 PM - Response #4

Excellent solution!
Thank you

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 3:32 PM - Response #5

Tracy Estrada wrote:

What I did was password protect all the pages except for the home page and a page called new to website page.

I password protected the classmates profiles page so that those that had already made a profile would not be searchable on the search engines. Many had concerns that ex spouses, ex friends, etc could find them and see where they were currently living even if they chose the privacy options for their profiles.

I then made a separate missing page for those classmates that still had not made a profile so that they could still join the site through that page. The problem was that when you password protected the classmate profiles page it also password protected the missing classmates page that is preprogrammed by the classcreator site. I had emailed Brad about this issue and he could not give a solution for this problem so I had to deactivate the classcreator "missing page" and create my own by copy and pasting that one and using one of the links. Then on the "new to website" page I directed classmates to go to the missing page to create their profile.

This has helped both in the privacy issues as anyone could go and email the classmates if they did not have a profile as well as it eliminated the "lurkers" who were just going to see who was signing up and not making a profile of their own.

Good luck!

I'm a bit confused. How could anyone from the outside email someone listed in the classmate profiles section? If you click on any name in that section and you haven't registered on the site, it just displays a message that the person has not registered yet. No info about the person is displayed except for their name.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 5:03 PM - Response #6

Tracy: We are delinking the password protection between the Classmate Profiles page and the Missing Classmates page so each page will have their own separate password permissions. That's the solution.

Note: If a Classmate chooses to leave his or her profile public, outside people can in fact email that Classmate. Only restricted Classmate profiles would not allow emails from the outside.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 6:06 PM - Response #7

Brad,

This is just a solution until you do this "de-linking" which you indicated to me would not be done for a while.

Thank you for all your hard work in fixing all the quirks and suggestions that we all have. Classcreator is a great system!

Tracy

Edited 07/17/08 6:10 PM
Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 6:08 PM - Response #8

Cathy wrote:

I'm a bit confused. How could anyone from the outside email someone listed in the classmate profiles section? If you click on any name in that section and you haven't registered on the site, it just displays a message that the person has not registered yet. No info about the person is displayed except for their name.

If someone has made a profile anyone can go click on their name and email them without being logged in. It can be a spammer or someone from their past that does not even belong to the class. Also if you click on a persons name it will display the town and state where they live even if they have the privacy option turned on their profile.

Edited 07/17/08 6:09 PM
Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 6:58 PM - Response #9

1) An outside person cannot email a Classmate who has not joined the site. An outside person can only email a Classmate who has actually joined the site, and for this to be possible that Classmate must have also opted to NOT restrict his or her Profile to only loggged in fellow Classmates.

2) "Also if you click on a persons name it will display the town and state where they live even if they have the privacy option turned on their profile." Where are you talking about exactly? If a Classmate has restricted his or her Profile to only logged in fellow Classmates the system will not show any Profile information at all if the viewer is not logged into the site. If you have any examples where this is not the case, let me know and we'll get it fixed.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 7:15 PM - Response #10

I tried to go to the classmate profiles on several different websites so that I could give you an example but it is giving this error

Oops!
An unexpected error has occurred. The Administrators have been notified of this error and will resolve the problem. Should you continue to see this error in the future please email info@classcreator.com.

You have attempted to dereference a scalar variable of type class coldfusion.sql.QueryColumn as a structure with members.
The error occurred on line 20.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 9:54 PM - Response #11

Tracy, that error has been resolved.

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 3:49 AM - Response #12

Brad Switzer wrote:

1) An outside person cannot email a Classmate who has not joined the site. An outside person can only email a Classmate who has actually joined the site, and for this to be possible that Classmate must have also opted to NOT restrict his or her Profile to only loggged in fellow Classmates.

2) "Also if you click on a persons name it will display the town and state where they live even if they have the privacy option turned on their profile." Where are you talking about exactly? If a Classmate has restricted his or her Profile to only logged in fellow Classmates the system will not show any Profile information at all if the viewer is not logged into the site. If you have any examples where this is not the case, let me know and we'll get it fixed.

Glad you clarified, Brad. I got worried because I thought it was exactly as you described.

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 11:22 AM - Response #13

Note: Any shared password permissions between the Classmate Profiles page and the Missing Classmates page have been severed. Each page now has its own distinct password checkbox you can turn on or off.

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 7:05 PM - Response #14

Cathy Plotnick wrote:

Brad Switzer wrote:

Glad you clarified, Brad. I got worried because I thought it was exactly as you described.

My aplogies this was something that was a feature before the individual privacy feature was put into place. Please forgive this sleep deprived, home remodeling, reunion planning, 38 year old woman of a 14 month old...

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 7:06 PM - Response #15

Brad Switzer wrote:

Note: Any shared password permissions between the Classmate Profiles page and the Missing Classmates page have been severed. Each page now has its own distinct password checkbox you can turn on or off.

Thank you Brad it is greatly appreciated!

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 7:21 PM - Response #16

Tracy Estrada wrote:

Brad Switzer wrote:

Thank you Brad it is greatly appreciated!

I'll take some home made cookies as payment for the confusion! Wink

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 7:26 PM - Response #17

Quote:

Sure right away! What are your favorite? I make killer white chocolate macadamia nut.Razz

Edited 07/18/08 7:27 PM
Saturday, July 19, 2008 at 12:54 AM - Response #18

Tracy Estrada wrote:

Quote:

Sure right away! What are your favorite? I make killer white chocolate macadamia nut.Razz

Those sound good!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.