ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

problem with table

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/22/09 08:35 PM Views: 1382 Replies: 7
Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 8:35 PM

I put a table with the various Armed Forces seals side by side in it. When I save changes & view it, the seals are vertical instead of horizontal. I made the table width 399 & the height 100. What am I doing wrong? I know I've seen this done on another site, but I don't remember which one.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 8:45 PM - Response #1

Where on your site is this table with logos? Call me blind, but I looked all over your site and can't find it. I'm sure I just overlooked it. Just an FYI, when posting issues always be sure to tell us exactly where we can find the issue you're referencing on your site.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 8:56 PM - Response #2

I'm sorry, I have the page as inactive, since I couldn't get it to look like I wanted. I have made it active so you can take a look.

Thanks.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 9:34 PM - Response #3

I'm glad you raised this issue here because there's one thing in our system that's a little hard to find, and you just ran smack dab into it. Let me explain:

Almost never (99%) of the time do people want to put images next to each other horizontally on the page without using a table structure to hold the images in place. Thus our system puts in a default space after every image. We do this to stop people from blowing out their pages by unintentionally putting two or more photos side by side on the page that are too wide for the page. While this default space is perfect for preventing "blow out" problems, it stops you from putting images side by side unless you're putting them within the confines of a table, which isn't the case here (your images are inside of a table but they're all in the same row -- it actualy would have worked fine had you had 4 separate cells within 1 image in each cell).

Long story short, the solution to your problem can be found by clicking our FAQs link above, then clicking the Questions About Maintaining Your Site link. Read Question #18. You just have to tell our system NOT to put in that default space after every image. You do that by putting this at a blank line at the top of your source code:

If you go back to your page and click the Source button in the upper left corner of your editor you'll see I put that in your page for you. As a result your 4 military logos all align themselves horizontally on your page instead of vertically.

Edited 03/22/09 10:15 PM
Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM - Response #4

Thank you! Another lesson learned, I just hope I can remember it, or at the least that I can find it again when I need it.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 11:17 PM - Response #5

When I view your Military Tribute page in Firefox, the Navy seal is by itself on the 2nd row. However, they are all on the same row in IE7.

Could this be solved by making the table width wider?

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 2:10 AM - Response #6

Most likely. I'd also check the alignment on each of those images and make sure they are default. Or add 3 table columns to the right and put one logo in each cell.

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 10:48 AM - Response #7

I went back in this morning & put each seal in a cell within the table. Does it look OK now?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.