ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Slipping Titles & Tables

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/22/09 05:11 PM Views: 1820 Replies: 11
Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 5:11 PM

I am having a problem with my page titles slipping to the left. I read the response to "Tribute to Vets" last week and tried to keep all widths to less than 646 as you instructed. I have some tables on the page I'm concerned with and kept the photos in the tables to 250 or 275 pixels wide to keep the proper page width. I guess there is more to know about tables 'cause that's the only thing--I think--that could cause the titles to slip to the left.

Also, I would like to center the tables on the page and though the source code says "center," they are not pictured as such. Again, more to learn about tables.

The page in question is: A Chicago Guide, StreatorHighSchool1958.com.

Thanks for helping,
Carole

Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 5:52 PM - Response #1

First, good for you for searching for the answer and finding that thread. You were right on the right track. I took a quick look at the page and I think there's likely only one problem here, so I'm going to have you see if you can fix this. Look at the very bottom of your page. There are two side by side photos down there, and that width of those two photos together is far wider than 646 pixels. You need to put them single file, or reduce the width of both of them so they total 646 pixels or less. Once you do that the page should snap back in place.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 6:24 PM - Response #2

OK. Did that, as I had before I wrote for help.

Now my question is: Do I have to make the photos smaller BEFORE I import them with the image button? I've been changing the width pixel to 250 for both photos, thinking that would be small enough for them to be adjacent in a table. They seem to go back to their original size anyway.

And, how do I center the table?

Thanks so much,
Carole

Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 9:20 PM - Response #3

You can click the table border then press the center icon to center it. Or before the table in the source code you can put

before your opening table tag starts, and
after the closing table tag ends.

Yes, you are better off resizing the images to the size you want them before you upload them. You can resie them through code or with the image handles, but the larger original images still have to load. Not a huge deal in today's broadband world, but if you want your page to load as efficiently as possible you're better off uploading images at the final size to begin with.

FYI I went in to fix this issue and was trying to set both of your images to the same vertical height and for the life of me couldn't get it to work. I finally tracked the issue down to extra white space at the bottom of your left image that was included the image itself. I cropped off the excess white space saved in the image and reuploaded. Problem solved.

Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 10:38 PM - Response #4

You are great! Thanks for the lesson and for fixing the problem.

Carole

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 1:06 PM - Response #5

This morning I'm aiming for perfection. I cropped the excess off most of my photos and attempted to size them somewhat uniformily. Using the source button, I then tried to make the width OR height uniform. (350 on width for single photos and 300 on height for photos in a table)

All looked great on the edit screen, but the photos went back to the original import size after I entered and pulled it up in non-edit mode. Tried this several times and couldn't make it stay the way I wanted.

I guess it's time for another lesson.

This time I was working in FengerJune1958 on A Chicago Guide.

Thanks, Brad,
Carole

Monday, March 23, 2009 at 2:09 PM - Response #6

Ok, here's today's lesson:

When you upload an image to the system that is too big for your page, our system has to resize it so you don't wind up blowing out your page. Our system can't resize it though until you actually press the save button. So, our system is about to resize that photo, but if you start resizing it yourself before our system has had a chance to resize the original, our system is still going to resize the original when you save even though you've tried to adjust it first.

So bottom line, if you upload an image that is too large for your page, immediately press the Save button and let our system resize that image. Then you can make further adjustments from there. IMPORTANT: If you let our system resize your image, DO NOT press your back button on your browser after saving. If you do that you're going to go right back into your previously cached page and start making adjustments to the original image that was not resized by our system. It won't work. Instead click on Edit Site Pages again and go back into edit mode by clicking the Edit button next to the page name again.

If all of this sounds a little clunky, that's because it is a little clunky. But it beats allowing people to blow their sites out by uploading things that are too large to fit where they're trying to put them. Fortunately you can avoid all of this by simply uploading images to your page that are small enough to fit in the first place. Here's the size requirements:

HOME PAGE: Do not upload images to your home page wider than 378 pixels. Your home page is in columns and images can't be too big here.

SUB PAGES: Do not upload images to your sub pages wider than 646 pixels. Your sub pages have precisely 646 pixels of space available for content, so if you upload an image exactly 646 pixels wide it will fill the entire page except for a default margin area to the left and the right.

You can resize images before uploading with your digital camera software or other photo software such as Adobe Photoshop. If you don't have an image resizing program download Irfanview from www.irfanview.com. It's fantastic and it's free.

Edited 03/23/09 2:10 PM
Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 12:55 PM - Response #7

Well, I thank you again. Both of my sites are not perfect, but close.

Carole

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 1:31 PM - Response #8

Well I think you better keep striving for perfect. Smile

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 4:06 PM - Response #9

Are you saying that because you looked at my sites?

Carole

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 4:20 PM - Response #10

Heh, no. I was just saying that we can't have you stopping short of perfection, now can we. (i.e. just bein' silly)

Tuesday, March 24, 2009 at 5:18 PM - Response #11

Thought so.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.