ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Changing a survey

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/24/13 03:37 PM Views: 1333 Replies: 18
Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM

In hindsight, a survey question which was set up as a Yes/No needs to be a yes/no/maybe. If I change it from Yes/No to radio buttons, what happens to the previous yes and no answers?

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 4:30 PM - Response #1

I'm not sure the system will allow you to change the answer type once you have had any answers. You might need to add a new question and request that people go back and answer the new question.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 5:41 PM - Response #2

For the record, I created a small one question test survey to see what I could do. The system WILL let you change from one type of answers to another, and from that point on only shows the new answers in a preview. But the Stats after that shows both the original yes/no answers AND the responses to the created radio buttons - including the old yes/no answers PLUS the radio button answers - even if two of them were Yes and No.

By the way, if you preview a test survey which is not active, answer a question in that survey and submit it, even though the survey has never been been marked and never will be marked as active, an admin with their Notify option set to see survey responses will get an email... Good thing I used an innocent question to test with...

Edited 09/29/13 12:10 AM
Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 6:21 PM - Response #3

John Ralph wrote:

For the record, I created a small one question test survey to see what I could do. The system WILL let you change from one type of answers to another, and from that point on only shows the new type in a preview. But the Stats after that shows both the original yes/no answers AND the responses to the created radio buttons - even of some of the radio buttons had the same name Yes or No tags.

By the way, if you preview a test survey which is not active, answer a question in that survey and submit it, even though the survey has never been been marked as active, anyone with their Notify option set to see survey responses will get an email... Good thing I used an innocent question to test with....

If you safe it as a draft, you can go back in and change everything, also at the bottom where it has a check mark send to so many classmates just un check it

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM - Response #4

Understood. But there is no 'Save as a draft' at that point (only Submit), and the check box at the bottom for when you change a survey format or questions defaults to unchecked - and I never checked it. The notify went out when I 'submitted' the answered preview of the inactive survey, not when I changed the type of answers and saved that.

Edited 09/24/13 6:50 PM
Wednesday, September 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM - Response #5

Thanks for reporting your results. This is good to know.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM - Response #6

I think I was (and still am) confused about Notify emails when it comes to surveys. I now see that Admins are treated differently since the only notify options are "Daily" or "Never" (no Immediate), but we get a notify immediately whenever someone takes the survey.

What I'm still confused about is survey notifys for non-admins. I have a test member who has their Notify option for surveys set to "Daily" (there is no "Immediate" choice). But there have been no notifys sent to that test member 1) when the survey was activated, or 2) during or after the last two days that people have been taking the survey. Do members not get any survey notifys unless they've already taken the survey (which I didn't do as the test member since I didn't want to screw up the counts)?

The good news is that the test member at least got a Notify email when I posted an annoncement about the survey when I made it active.

{Edit} It's possible that I did not check the notify box when I made the survey active since I knew I'd reach the same people with the announcement.
[Edit-2] I've now confirmed that members who have taken the survey have not received any notifys either.

Edited 09/26/13 12:03 PM
Thursday, September 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM - Response #7

Because you are the admin, you received the immediate notice of the new survey result. What is the name of your test member?

Thursday, September 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM - Response #8

Test member is Ima Test. A member who completed the survey but is not getting notifys is D. Miller. Both did get the notify email when I added the announcement, so I know that their Notify options are working and I have verified their settings via Notify Me Statistics.

Friday, September 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM - Response #9

Ima Test... you need to log out and then join the site as Ima Test. Notify Me notifications are not sent out to members that are not yet joined. Once you join as Ima Test, log back in as the admin and you can hide the member from the classlist.

Friday, September 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM - Response #10

Scott, I joined as Ima Test the day I created it, and have logged in dozens of times using that id since - both when it was hidden, and when it had temporarily been set to a guest member so I could update the associated profile (which is no longer available when it's hidden). And Ima gets notificaton emails (announcements, for example, as recently as today) along with Everyone emails.

I can only guess why the join date in the details is weird. I assumed it was because I joined when the ID had been initially set up as hidden (with an admin entered email address).

But that aside, there's still the problem where normal joined members aren't getting any notification emails about the survey.

Edited 09/28/13 11:57 PM
Saturday, September 28, 2013 at 11:26 PM - Response #11

Laughing in the background. "Ima Test"
That is just too good, John!

Ima not a part of this discussion. Wink

Saturday, September 28, 2013 at 11:54 PM - Response #12

It all your fault. Or one of our co-conspirators. Very Happy I saw that several times in the forums and it was too good not to 'borrow'.

Sunday, September 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM - Response #13
capture_001_29092013_080841.jpg

Guilty.

Monday, September 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM - Response #14

John. I just added myself as a test member on your site. I am not displayed on the class list. I will watch for notifications. Please let me know when you have any survey responses so that I can check my email. I set my survey notice to once daily.

Monday, September 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM - Response #15

I happened to be logged in and saw you did. Interesting that I got a 'New Member" notification when you joined but not when I joined as my test member. Another 'fluke' when joining as a pre-configured hidden member I guess.

I just changed one of my answers in the survey and submitted it. We'll see if that generates a notification email by morning - if an edit is supposed to generate one.

It's been over half an hour, and I still haven't received the admin 'instant notice' "Survey Edited" email (like I got last week), but... maybe it will wander in later.

Monday, September 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM - Response #16

Maybe you could request that someone else go in there an answer one as well. I'll watch for an email in the morning.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 at 10:19 AM - Response #17

Scott, we seem to be trying to hit a moving target. I never got an admin notify from my edits yesterday, although I did get one last week by doing the same thing. I actually made two edits yesterday; the first in early afternoon, and the second later to change my answer back. Both submitted, and got the Survey Submitted thank you page. No admin notify for either one.

But this morning when someone took the survey, I DID get an admin notify. Go figure...

Oh, and the test account did not get a notify for either of yesterday's edits. I assume you didn't either. Maybe wait another day to see if the new survey taker generates a non-admin notify?

[Edit] Two more admin notifies today (so far) as others took the survey. And... I edited my answers one more time this morning (same changes) and this time I DID get a Survey Edited admin notify. Definitely a moving target with changing results. In any case, tomorrow will be the key as we'll find out for sure what's going on with non-admin notifies.

Edited 10/01/13 10:46 AM
Tuesday, October 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM - Response #18

I did not receive a notification. I'm forwarding this to a programmer.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.