ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Multi year site and same person graduated in multiple years

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/13/17 07:10 PM Views: 648 Replies: 6
Monday, November 13, 2017 at 7:10 PM

I know you probably think this is impossible but back in the day e.g 50's 60's etc when you attended high school you chose a path e.g. University Program, Technical Program, Secretarial Program etc. when you graduated from grade 12 you graduated on that program. e.g. The Technical Program. This entitled you to go to technical schools etc but not University entrance. However, you could return to high school at a later date/year and pick up the subjects that you needed to graduate on a higher program. We have many examples of this happening. Using the yearbooks the same person then appears as a grad in year 1966 and again in another year e.g. 1968.

Also It's very difficult if not impossible to actually determine who graduated vs all those listed in the yearbook. At the end of Grade 12 you wrote exams and got the results in late August. So we cannot tell who actually passed and who failed. If a person came back did they come back to upgrade their program or to pass the classes they failed?

IN any event we have chosen to list all those that were listed in the yearbook as the Graduating class as the members of that year. this ensures the class list is accurate and complete.

The result is I have the same person in multiple years. I understand that I have to enter them again (Duplicate entries) for each and every year they appear win the yearbook. e.g. a classmate cannot be entered once and appear in more than one year. My question is how are other Administrators handling this? e.g. talk to the person and find out what year they feel most aligned with and let this be the year they maintain their profile contact info etc. I could then make an entry for the other years same name classmate that is visible to all that visit that profile to go to year xxxx to follow, view this classmates profile ,view info, send messages etc. I'm not sure this is the best way as sending emails to the non preferred year would mean the classmate does not get those communications.

Any better suggestions would be appreciated.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 12:52 PM - Response #1

Yes I would recommend asking the classmate which year or years they would like to be associated with. You could post each profile linking to the other profile if they choose to have more than one. I would recommend them using one year as their login year and using the other just to link back to the one profile they are maintaining.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 2:11 PM - Response #2

To properly list all grads from a year as per yearbook I have to list the same person in multiple years so how do I do a link from one profile say in the class of 66 to the actual profile that the person in class of 67 that that individual will use to maintain their profile contact info, pictures etc?

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 3:08 PM - Response #3

There is not really a way to link it directly to the other year. However you could join that profile and place a note on the profile that states that to locate this particular person, to visit the class of 67.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 4:52 PM - Response #4

Thanks for the reply. As I stated graduating multiple times tat least in past times is not an uncommon occurrence. For our class of 68 we have 73 of the 571 classmates that have graduates in at least 1 other class year at this same school. That equates to 12.8% I think you can imagine the problem this creates. I know to a lesser degree students that also came back as teachers. Our principal graduated in 1923 can back as a teacher 1928 stayed on and became principal and retired still as the principal in 1966. I believe for multi year sites its its important to be able to link these class year profiles together. I can't expect a person to join and do their own notes to link multiple profiles. In my prior database I could list multiple years (Yearbooks) against a classmate so the individual only existed once but would display for any year selected.

I will try to put this into the suggestions area

Thanks again
Ron

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 6:16 PM - Response #5

Teachers who were also classmates typically don't mind having a login for both types of accounts so they can have one profile for their classmates and another as a teacher. They can use the same email address they just need a different password for the second profile if they choose to have both profiles.

Jessica

Friday, November 17, 2017 at 3:08 PM - Response #6

I'm not so worried about the teachers as you can imagine most are quite elderly and so may not participate at all. having said that they also may not remember 2 profiles and login's etc. Sad

The main issue is dealing with the larger volume of classmates that are graduates of multi years and having to manually cross reference and also maintain in various class years if they are missing or not.

Thanks

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.