ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Service Unavailable Message (503 Error)

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/19/14 09:40 PM Views: 735 Replies: 4
Saturday, July 19, 2014 at 9:40 PM

As many of you know the IT staff has been doing some maintenance on the system over the past couple days.

While mostly stable now, there are sporadic cases of a "Service Unavailable" message appearing when trying to load pages.

We are aware of the issue and ongoing IT changes should ultimately cure this problem. Thanks for your continued patience while we work through this issue.

Saturday, July 19, 2014 at 9:48 PM - Response #1

Also, I know many Admins here are or were IT professionals, and you like to know what's going on.

For those interested, a rare bug in software we use made by Adobe causes a 503 error ("Service Unavailable" message) when the system is hit by heavy traffic (it's reunion season so traffic is very high right now). The bug actually knocks out IIS itself (a native function of Windows).

Patches for this known issue (Adobe Update 4) didn't solve the problem. There are various workarounds, configuration changes, and creation of additional server instances all possible to deal with this issue.

The IT folks are aware of the options available and will be working through them until all instances of the "Service Unavailable" message are gone.

Although somewhat rare these days fortunately, IT issues do happen from time to time, and whenever they do it's our top priority to get them resolved.

We sincerely apologize for any disruption you may experience while navigating your site until this issue is resolved (hopefully by weekend end).

Edited 07/19/14 9:51 PM
Saturday, July 19, 2014 at 10:30 PM - Response #2

I presume this is also affecting messages sent from the site. I sent a test message to myself at 9:30am this morning and at 7:30pm it has still not been received.

Sunday, July 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM - Response #3

Message arrived at 8:40am this morning.

Monday, July 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM - Response #4

Posted about this in another forum but this was due to new clustering we are doing to handle significantly increased traffic. It shouldn't happen again.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.