ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Lost Connection

Forums: Class Connection Bugs
Created on: 04/11/14 11:31 AM Views: 1928 Replies: 19
Friday, April 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Uh-oh. I've been to our website many times via my Class Connection app on my FB page. Today, even though I am automatically logged into our site via www.sphsaa.org, my Class Connection link on FB is asking me to enter a school name, choose a class and sign in.

Could it have anything to do with the fact that this morning I started adding Class of 2014 to our multi-year? I only got as far as doing that under Preferences, but when Class Connection didn't work I reverted it to 2013 but that didn't help.

Friday, April 11, 2014 at 1:09 PM - Response #1

Shouldn't matter. On Class Connection go ahead and enter your school and year and proceed with joining again. Are you in now and is everything normal?

Friday, April 11, 2014 at 1:18 PM - Response #2

I'm in via URL but I'm still getting that sign-up screen on my Class Connection app from my FB page. I hesitate to "join again" for all the threads I've seen about accidentally setting up duplicate accounts when there was one already and then having to get those resolved.

Friday, April 11, 2014 at 1:23 PM - Response #3

OK, here's another thing I just changed before this happened: my alternate email was a gmail account and I just changed that password because of the new security bug. I have removed that email and put in one that didn't get a password change, but that didn't help just now, either.

Oh! But I did change my FB password for that bug - could that be why? I'm in Facebook OK since, but maybe that didn't carry over to Class Connection?

Edited 04/11/14 1:27 PM
Friday, April 11, 2014 at 2:02 PM - Response #4

No.

Here's where I'm confused: It sounds like from your class web site you're clicking the Class Connection link under Member Functions and everything is working perfectly. Correct? i.e. you're in the app and you're seeing your own account and so forth. If this is the case you're already in with a perfectly merged account and everything is normal.

Next, it sounds like when you go to the app directly from your Facebook link you're going to the join screen. That makes zero sense to me whatsoever. If you're already in with a perfectly merged account you'd never be going to the join screen using a direct app link. What do you see when you go directly to http://apps.facebook.com/classconnection?

You're not using two different browsers and or two different Facebook accounts are you? If you're using only 1 browser and one Facebook account and you're seeing the join screen at the link above, go ahead and join. If a duplicate account gets made I'll take care of it. This really makes no sense to me though. Again you're either joined, or you're not joined. So if you're truly joined it wouldn't matter if you went to the app from your web site link, from a Facebook app link, or the direct link I just gave you above. The only way to be seeing something different using any of those links would be to be using two different browsers and/or two different Facebook accounts. Please let me know if that's the case.

Friday, April 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM - Response #5

No. I've already done all the app enabling steps and have, for days (weeks?) been able to get to the website from my Facebook page using the Class Connection link under Apps on my FB side menu.

Now, for the first time, when I do what normally gives me direct access to our website from my FB page, I'm asked to choose a school & class again.

So in this new sign-up form in Class Connection, when I enter my high school, picking it from the list - South Pasadena High School - it only gives me individual classes, not the 1907-2013. I do have a separate SPHS 1961 CC website (there are about 10 classes from SPHS that have individual sites as well as our multi-year), but as admin of the 1961 site I've never enabled Class Connection.

Yes, I do use 2 browsers and I'm able logged in OK to each, for other things. IE ver 11 & Firebox. When I go directly to http://apps.facebook.com/classconnection via either Firefox or IE I get the Class Connection school/class join screen.

Is there some other school name that the SPHSAA.org 1907-2013 is associated with, that I can't pick that for my class?

Saturday, April 12, 2014 at 10:42 PM - Response #6

I keep trying it, the Class Connection app on the left of my FB page. Still getting the "Enter School Name"/Join Class screen. I keep selecting South Pasadena High School, then 1961. I click to join, it briefly displays the "Proceeding to Class..." window, then goes back to the join screen as if I'd never been. Maybe you could take me out completely and I'll start over?

I only have one FB account - Mary Gill Smith

Edited 04/12/14 10:44 PM
Sunday, April 13, 2014 at 8:37 PM - Response #7

So, Brad, even if I go to Class Connection under my Member Functions, I get the school selection screen, I pick school & class and hit Join, I get a "Proceeding to Class..." notice and then it goes back to that same school picker screen.

And shouldn't there be something to pick for multi-year? I have never joined an individual year website associated with my school, but I am an admin on almost all 10-12 we have. However, I did not have a problem when I first started using the app by going to Class Connection on Member Functions days/weeks ago.

Edited 04/13/14 8:41 PM
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 3:18 PM - Response #8

Mary,

The programmers are checking into this further.

Jessica

Monday, April 14, 2014 at 10:22 PM - Response #9

Please remind me of your browser and browser version, as well as your cookie settings. What does Internet Explorer do when you try to log in?

Monday, April 14, 2014 at 11:09 PM - Response #10
cookies.jpg

IE 11. Medium cookies. What do you mean, what does IE do? When I log in to what?

Monday, April 14, 2014 at 11:14 PM - Response #11
Class connection in IE.jpg

When I log in to Class Connection? This screen, then it goes back to picking the school & class. Actually, that shows me with me already logging into our CC website, but it's the same when I've already logged out of the website and tried to get in via FB Class Connection.

I tried removing the app from FB, went back to the website and selected Class Connection, entered High School & Class and got the normal notice like it worked, FB then had Class Connection again, but it still only gives me another Select High School screen instead of the blue/gray website.

Edited 04/15/14 2:40 PM
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM - Response #12

Hi Mary,

The programmers have made a few updates and I have tested them here. Can you try again and let me know if its working for you now?

Jessica

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 2:52 PM - Response #13

Nope. As I posted moments ago, if I remove the app from FB I can redo choosing Class Connection in Member Functions, but it still doesn't get me to the website through the new FB Class Connection app selection.

I tried deleting cookies and redoing them but I might not have done that correctly. I don't know how regular users can function at all. I have a few computer smarts but apparently not enough to even do that.

Edited 04/15/14 2:56 PM
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 7:35 PM - Response #14

Something doesn't add up here. At the moment unfortunately you're the only one I know of having this problem. No matter what you do you're just sitting there at the join screen it sounds like. The question is why. Almost always this would be related to cookies. We've made changes to the login system (cookie system) and if you've got some really old login cookie stored maybe that's somehow affecting it. That's my best guess... Sounds like you cleared cookies though. Are you possibly blocking all cookies? Or maybe blocking just third party cookies? If so such a cookie block is not a normal browser default (many systems use cookies to keep people logged in thus browsers don't place default cookie blocks -- you have to set that yourself, which I wouldn't recommend).

Please try this for me;

1) Clear all cookies again, and make sure your cookie settings are NOT blocking cookies. Does this alone get you in?
2) If not try logging in using any two other browsers, such as Firefox or Google Chrome. Either of these get you in?

If all browsers are failing we'll need to start looking for some other strange explanation, like somehow you've got a firewall or something like that blocking Class Connection. Other than some early Safari browser (and sometimes chrome) cookie problems which we solved long ago, we're just not hearing of people being stuck at the join screen anymore. Please try to the two things above and we'll take it from there.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 1:16 AM - Response #15

I'll try those as time permits. But it's strange to me because it was fine till now, from both Firefox & IE 11. Only thing I can think of is maybe a Windows Update threw something in the way, not under my control. Or possibly MalwareBytes I was advised to get but now I can't remember why? Disable everything, add them back gradually. Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 1:37 PM - Response #16

It was cookies. I removed all of them, that didn't work. I made sure IE cookies were set to their default (medium); that didn't work. I set IE cookies to no restrictions whatsoever, accept all cookies regardless - it worked! I reset cookies back to IE default. It's still working. Learned a lot about cookies. THANK YOU!

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 4:45 PM - Response #17

Ok great. What's strange is the default cookie setting should have worked out of the box. Nonetheless, for now since I'm not hearing anything else regarding this, let's just be glad you're in. Smile

Sunday, April 27, 2014 at 3:35 PM - Response #18

Brad Switzer wrote:

Ok great. What's strange is the default cookie setting should have worked out of the box. Nonetheless, for now since I'm not hearing anything else regarding this, let's just be glad you're in. Smile

Brad
I have the same problem now (both on Firefox and IE latest versions both). Was working before but then I did change my passwords on FB and main Gmail account. The Manage Classmates shows I am connected but still get that screen.

Patrick

Sunday, April 27, 2014 at 3:39 PM - Response #19

Patrick Mattson wrote:

Brad Switzer wrote:

Brad
I have the same problem now (both on Firefox and IE latest versions both). Was working before but then I did change my passwords on FB and main Gmail account. The Manage Classmates shows I am connected but still get that screen.

Patrick

And just as soon as I hit enter, went back to check it, the app started working correctly. wow you guys are really good.

Patrick

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.