ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

unwanted embedded links in text

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 08/18/09 10:33 AM Views: 1498 Replies: 5
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 10:33 AM

some text that we enter on the site eventually gets flag with a double underline and points to various websites. Common things the word "class" point to a university of phoenix site... the header is "gamevance"... do you know why and how do I prevent it?

Thanx,Jeff

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 1:53 PM - Response #1

What is Gamevance? I looked at your site and can't find that page or heading anywhere.

One of two things is happening:

1) You've embedded a third party object on your page that is taking over your text and linking various words to other places. If this is the case I'd delete the object and this will stop. Most third party objects are ok, but if this is the case, whatever object you've embedded sounds a little unscrupulous.

2) It's happening only on your computer. Have you asked others if they're seeing the same thing? You quite possibly have some sort of spyware or virus on your own computer that is causing your text to be hijacked. If you don't think #1 above is the problem, I would immediately scan your computer for viruses and spyware.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 4:06 PM - Response #2

so if you look at my profile about half way down I have written that i've had several "careers" ... I have 3 pcs at home and a couple at work... on all of them careers is double underlined in green, and points to a link for university of phoenix... you don't see that?

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 4:10 PM - Response #3

I think you are seeing the "Internet Explorer 8", automatic links feature. Some words it will automatically turn into links so if you click on them, it will take you to a different website.

I don't know much about it or how to turn it off, but I have seen it before. I don't even think it is called "Automatic Links".

Try a different browser to see if you still see the problem.

Edited 08/18/09 4:11 PM
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 4:17 PM - Response #4

Jeff,
I just viewed your profile and I am using Mozilla Firefox. I did not see any underlines of any sort.

George

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 at 4:32 PM - Response #5

ahhh.... this is embarrassing....

gamevance is a "feature" .. one of many... on facebook.com... apparently my son occasionally plays a game by them and he was with me at my office over the weekend (Lord knows it couldn't have been my fault)....

Thanks for helping me to track it down...

Jeff

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.