ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

EMAIL ALL CLASSMATES WHEN NEW SIGNUP?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/23/11 06:39 PM Views: 1466 Replies: 6
Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I searched the admin functions and tried to look through old posts but could not find an answer on my own. I would like to be able to send a mass email whenever there there is a new registration. People are busy and may or may not check the site regularly. On our site when we get a group of new registrations it drives up activity. So if we can notify the entire class of new registrations then more people will connect, which is the main purpose of our site.

Thanks

Greg

Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 9:28 AM - Response #1

I have added this feature to the WISH LIST. When the Preferences section of the website is looked at next, then this enhancement request will also be considered.

Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM - Response #2

Hi Greg...

I'm not sure all your classmates would appreciate getting an automatic email each time a single new member joined the site.

First, each member has the option under "Profile Subscription" to selectively decide who will trigger an email to them when a profile is created or updated. (CC is modifying this function so that only one email will be sent when more than one person modifies their profile in a day.)

Second, it looks like you are gaining about 8-10 new members a month. You could capture the names of those latest members from your Classmate Profiles and selecting to sort by the newest members. Drag and copy those names and include them in a single monthly update sent via "Email The Class".

This gives you a good excuse to communicate regularly with all the registered users. You could include information about how the "Profile Subscription" works and any active discussion threads in your Forums, etc.

Just a thought...

Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 11:35 AM - Response #3

I'm with John. We've lost people for their getting too many emails. A lot of those folks didn't have the computer skills to understand and manage their notification preferences correctly. Something like this should be on an opt-in basis, which it already is.

Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM - Response #4

Greg,

I also agree with John and Mary, especially for large classes and alumni sites. If your school is on the small side, your "everytime" message idea may be suitable.

We have been in long range reunion mode since starting in 2009, thus use a monthly (Email the Class) bulletin to summarize what's happened since the previous month including: who has joined, who has a prayer need (illness, death, other), what's our recipe for the month (random picks from our cookbook project), who is in the spotlight (new person gets interviewed each month), and what's the latest on our next (50th) reunion. It seems to serve our desire to maintain an open channel yet not overwhelm classmates with emails. As indicated already, folks still have the option of requesting notification on selected individuals.

Bob

Monday, April 25, 2011 at 5:25 PM - Response #5

By NOT sending out a lot of email, we get so many people coming back to the site to look at "Updates", which has been great.
It's a case of less is more for us.

Monday, April 25, 2011 at 9:17 PM - Response #6

Thanks for all the good input. I think I will do what John recommended and send a monthly email with a list of latest sign ups.

Thanks all.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.