ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Threaded message board

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 07/16/08 10:07 AM Views: 2918 Replies: 19
Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 10:07 AM

We have over 800 in our class, and our "Messaage Forum" is not working out. It is the equivalent of walking into a room with 40 people and 8 different conversations going on. Currently it is set up like a guest book, not a forum.

Can we please have a threaded message board?

This is what I'm talking about:

http://www.brokenarrowclassof1987.com/board.php

Edited 07/16/08 10:09 AM
Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 4:03 PM - Response #1

Hi Todd! How was that message board created? I would like to create one and link it to my site. This has been a subject that has been brought up many times by many of my classmates. No one uses the message board because like you we have a large class of 550 and the one on the site does not function well.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 4:14 PM - Response #2

Way back in the day when I had time I found that messageboard on some free web site code site and hacked/kludged it in to the main BA87 site you see there.

I was toying with the idea of finding another one and making it link to our site, but I did see in another thread here (after I posted this message this morning) where they are going to add a message board like we're on now to the site.

It can't come soon enough Very Happy

Maybe they can make a sticky thread about the new message forum coming.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 4:17 PM - Response #3

It was this post:
RSS subscription to Messag Forum would be nice

Later this year though could be December 31, and our natives are getting restless, hehe

Someone else posted somewhere here could they let us see a list of what they're working on so we know whether to wait or move on.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 4:20 PM - Response #4

Ahhh a fellow hacker (borrower) at heart lol

Yes they say it is "coming" and that it is on the "list" but I was also told that the beginning of March so I was hoping that I could put something in place in the interim.

If anyone should happen to know of a message forum that can be utilized and linked to the websites in the meantime please post it. It would be greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 at 5:53 PM - Response #5

This is not the same one I used before, but I am working it up for us (I have some cheap php/mysql hosting):
http://www.gerd-tentler.de/tools/forum/
using an IFRAME. (heads up a NSFW small banner ad on there on the download page)

I have it up now and am tweaking it:
http://www.classcreator.com/Broken-Arrow-OK-1987/class_custom5.cfm

Edited 07/16/08 5:54 PM
Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 9:57 PM - Response #6

Don't quote me on this, but I think Brad is planning to (have me) implement threaded forums just like these admin forums into the classcreator system ... sometime this fall probably.

Thursday, July 17, 2008 at 11:12 PM - Response #7

Rick are you with classcreator.com or are you one of the website admins?

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 2:19 AM - Response #8

Rick is a Class Creator programmer and also the Site Administrator for his class site. We should probably get Rick an avatar to represent himself as Class Creator here on these forums.

And yes, creating threaded message forums for the class sites is "on the list", you are correct Tracy. Numerous requests are on the list and we get to them as fast as we can, in the order that we deem most important to the Class Creator community.

So Rick, have at it -- the folks are asking for threaded message forms. Anyone out there got any bribes for Rick? Maybe we can get him to work on this task faster with a few well placed bribes. Smile

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 9:49 AM - Response #9

I was also looking for a blog type setting to add. Please Please Rick help us all! I'll send you cookies!

Kim from Indiana

Edited 07/18/08 9:51 AM
Friday, July 18, 2008 at 9:52 AM - Response #10

Awesome... post your Amazon.com wish list here Rick!

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 11:03 AM - Response #11

Kimberly Huizinga wrote:

I was also looking for a blog type setting to add. Please Please Rick help us all! I'll send you cookies!

Kim from Indiana

What does "blog type setting" meant to you specifically? Better tell Rick! Smile

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 4:03 PM - Response #12

I was going to offer fresh baked homemade cookies but Kim beat me to it.

Can I bribe Rick to put things higher up on the priority list? lol

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 6:16 PM - Response #13

I mean a place to keep track of progress of the reunion. right now, I can post annoucements but I have to delete and replace. And then people can't see what happened before. I like the idea of a blog or a posting so I can keep posting updates and they can all be read.

Friday, July 18, 2008 at 7:31 PM - Response #14

Did someone say something about an avatar for me? =)

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 4:58 AM - Response #15

Hi,

I'd like to second that emotion for a blog: more specifically, a blogging tool for classmates. We've got some great writers in our class, and a collective blog would generate more interest from classmates, and serve as a creative outlet for them as well.

Thanks for the continued support,
-Rich

Friday, September 19, 2008 at 9:32 PM - Response #16

I think the new threaded forums will meet this need. For instance, if you wanted to create a forum called "High school stories" each of your Classmates could write stories there. You'll be able to create as many forum topics as you wish, so the sky's the limit really once these new threaded forums are in place.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 12:59 PM - Response #17

Okay, so good to see that a different message board set up is in the works. I'm pretty new to Class Creator, but I'm thrilled to be at a place where the 'class' actually will have some 'control'.

Anyway, is there an ETA on the message board change coming? This will be a great lure for my class!

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 2:32 PM - Response #18

Well, the last ETA I gave for the new threaded message boards was end of September. Smile I.E. now.

Then the hijacking issue forced us to move the new Preferences functionality up in priority over message boards. Dare I say, issues get rearranged a lot based on need, thus I'm getting out of the ETA business. What I can tell you though, is that this task is high on our priority list and will be coming just as soon as we can get to it.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 2:37 PM - Response #19

Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate all you guys or gals do to make this all possible. Smile

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.