ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Live Chat/Instant Messaging

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/22/17 03:11 PM Views: 1133 Replies: 4
Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 3:11 PM

We have a new site with IM/Chat capabilities. I currently
have those features inactive. I would like some feedback from fellow Administrators about their success/not success
with IM/Chat on their site. Do your users actually use those features? Our user base has quite a few Apple devices so that automatically eliminates them.

** Thank You **

Friday, June 23, 2017 at 8:32 AM - Response #1

My class is 1962, so about the same age as yours. In the beginning, a few took advantage of Live Chat, but interest quickly died and it hasn't been used in years. I think it is an age thing.

Friday, June 23, 2017 at 9:36 AM - Response #2

We have the Premium plan, which includes Instant Messaging but not Live Chat. We've chosen to not activate Instant Messaging, because the feature displays who's online. We thought this might inhibit some members who wish to browse the site in private. I'll admit it was more of an issue when our principal, in his early 90s, was a guest member. We didn't want to have him feel pressured to engage in an Instant Messaging exchange whenever he was online. He has since passed away, so it may be worth revisiting.

Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 3:41 PM - Response #3

We have a few members who use IM regularly and love it, but often people don't respond to their requests.

As you mentioned, Apple not being compatible with IM, we don't know if the lack of response is due to 1) lack of interest, 2) that the other person doesn't know how to use IM, or 3) if they are on Apple devices and never see the request. At least, I assume they don't see the request.

All in all, it's a mixed bag. My thought is to make it available and those who chose to can use it, and if they wish to be Invisible, they can be.

I believe the biggest advantage is that IM can be instant, while regular messaging can have extended delays. Makes it a lot easier to correspond.

Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 9:30 AM - Response #4

There are so many IM offerings already available, I would think that a single-site IM would get low usage. Has anyone tried adding a profile item for IM program and name, and letting site members announce which ones they wish to share?

Options:
cell phone # for SMS text
AIM
Yahoo Messanger
Apple Messages
Facebook Messenger
Snapchat
WhatsApp
Signal
Twitter
et cetera

Edited 09/16/17 9:59 AM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.