ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Motivation

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 03/10/15 11:40 AM Views: 1303 Replies: 2
Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 11:40 AM

For several years, I have done everything that people online in these forums have suggested to attract and keep classmate members for our Class Creator website. We also have a Facebook group page for the class. I'm all for coexistence for both of these online destinations. And I've invited the classmate who have access to the FB Page to join the CC website. However, because we want to acquire contact information from the classmate when they sign up for the website and this cannot be accomplished when someone does so through the Facebook app, we have chosen to not use the app. (Our class website was crested before the Facebook Group Page too.)
The difficulty we are experiencing is that even without the Facebook related app, more classmates appear to prefer using our Facebook Group Page than our Class Creator Website. Not sure if anyone has experienced this but am wondering how the perhaps few admins out there who may have dealt with it have achieved positive results in swaying classmates to become active on their Class Creator website too when it's clear the majority of classmates use the FB group Page much more than the CC website. Can methods be used to "adjust their attitudes" away from automatically going to Facebook and getting them to come to our CC website?

Edited 07/12/15 6:07 AM
Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 2:45 PM - Response #1

Gary,

Looking at the stats on your home page, I see that you had 559 graduates and for 350 of those you have no address/info.
Is that the case, or do you have an address (physical and/or email,) but they just have not joined the site?

We set our stats so that those we could account for with a legit physical address/email address/phone # were not included in the "unknown" group. They fall into their state group of "WHERE WE LIVE." That gets you down to a workable group of truly "lost."

For the next few months, prior to your 35th reunion, I would concentrate on finding those that are truly "unknown."

Prior to our 40th reunion, I did this. I called everyone I could find a phone number for and directed them to the Class Creator website, sent an invite through the CC system using their email, and to be watching for reunion updates there and through email. Most all of them joined. Only a couple were not willing to give me all the info I needed. Sometimes they were reluctant on email because they didn't do computer stuff even though they might have had a computer?????

As far as daily visiting the Class Creator site, I've noticed that those who like to chat on a daily basis go to Facebook. (We have not used the Class Connection option, but other classmates opened a Facebook page.) Those who are not "chatty" check in on a regular basis to the CC site to keep up with the major events of our lives. We are 12 years your senior and are losing parents fairly steadily. We post those obits on the "Message Forum" and also to a Condolences section on a page called "Joys and Concerns."

Our Home Page/Announcement area changes monthly with all new "stuff" other than the "Welcome" statement. You can make it appropriate for upcoming events in your hometown and state. It may not be interesting to some people, but it's not stagnate.

Good luck with your 35th reunion and finding your classmates.

Do remember that your Class Creator site is truly a composite of what was, what is, and what's to come in the future for your classmates. Facebook keeps rolling and important info is lost in loads of chatty insignificant info.

Edited 03/10/15 3:02 PM
Thursday, March 12, 2015 at 11:26 AM - Response #2

Hi Anita! Thanks very much, for your reply.
People on our missing list are there because we don't have any of their contact information. We are constantly trying to acquire it and as we do, through on or offline efforts, including offline conversations or use of electronic media methods, our records are updated on and offline. The ability to acquire accurate and current information is very important to us. The fact that someone can join our Class Creator site through Facebook, without having to provide their contact information, we feel, is counter productive to this effort and the ability to "grow" our offline classmate contact information database / list. Your point about including relatives of classmates who have passed on is interesting and a wonderful suggestion but I was not aware that Class Creator approved of us to do so. My question would be if we could enable this relatives page to function similarly to the way it does for the page for our deceased classmates, such as having a list of names with links to each relative's memorial page, etc...

I am not sure what you are trying to say in your last paragraph but appreciate that you took the time to respond.

Edited 03/12/15 1:17 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.