ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

More Multi Year Site Questions

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/11/12 08:37 PM Views: 1323 Replies: 6
Sunday, March 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I am doing research to begin another site, which would be for multi-years. I have a few questions:

1. Because each individual year has only a small number of members, I would like to make it decades instead. For example 1960 - 1969; 1970 - 1979; etc. Is this possible?
  2. Once you have your years (or decades) listed, can you add new ones to the end as newer years pass?
  3. When planning a reunion or donations, I presume it is possible to include all years or decades in one?
  4. I believe all years/decades see the same homepage and other pages such as galleries?

Thanks much.

Monday, March 12, 2012 at 12:44 AM - Response #1

You can make them decades as long as you accept that "1960" means "1960-1969". The field is just numbers and it is only a year. It can represent anything you want, but cannot be longer than a 4-digit year with only numbers.

Yes, you can add past or future years that weren't in your initial creation.

Yes, you will be able to plan multiple reunions and ones for each or for all.

Yes, you would have one home page. All of the pages seen by one class would be seen by all the classes. Same for Galleries.

Monday, March 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM - Response #2

Thanks, Kyle. A few follow-up questions:

1. If I went with a "one-year" all inclusive instead - how many members can be accommodated reasonably without impacting performance, screen load times, etc? I particular, I wonder about the Classmate Profiles listing or the Edit/Enter Classmate listing.
  2. On a multi-year site, when I go in to Manage Classmates - do or can I see all at once or must I review each year individually? Is there anywhere that I can see all years together? I presume that when I download the classlist, it will be one listing including a year column.
  3. On a multi-year - do all years from the "start" to the "end" need to display? Can you select? which ones to display?

Thanks. I'm trying to decide which is the better way to go...

Edited 03/12/12 11:48 AM
Monday, March 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM - Response #3

I can answer question 2 & 3..since I have a multi-year site.
2. You can see all or you can sort them by year in Manage Classmates and in Classmate Profiles. You can see all of your database at once in manage classmates they will be in alphabetical order by last name. Your template for a multi-yr site will include the class year.
3. If you are talking about Classmate profiles you can list them by class year or all of them at one time.

As far a loading issues with a multi-yr site..I haven't had any problems..I have over 2000 entered in the database with almost 400 active. CC should be able to answer question 1 a lot better than I can. Just an FYI!

Would you like to check out my multi-yr site to see how it works? I can put you on as a guest for a few days. You can then get a fell for how a multi-yr site works.Wink
Sounds like a multi-yr site would work for you.

I hope this helps.Wink

Plainedge '64 Web Administrator wrote:

Thanks, Kyle. A few follow-up questions:
  1. If I went with a "one-year" all inclusive instead - how many members can be accommodated reasonably without impacting performance, screen load times, etc? I particular, I wonder about the Classmate Profiles listing or the Edit/Enter Classmate listing.
  2. On a multi-year site, when I go in to Manage Classmates - do or can I see all at once or must I review each year individually? Is there anywhere that I can see all years together? I presume that when I download the classlist, it will be one listing including a year column.
  3. On a multi-year - do all years from the "start" to the "end" need to display? Can you select? which ones to display?

Thanks. I'm trying to decide which is the better way to go...

Monday, March 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM - Response #4

Thanks, Darlene for the information. I appreciate your offer to register as a guest but I'm more interested in the admin functions.

Monday, March 12, 2012 at 12:49 PM - Response #5

i can put you in as a guest..then make you an admin...the functions I think are the same....You just have more classes to work with. It's up to you.
Just give me a day to do it..so I can tell my admins..what going on?

Plainedge '64 Web Administrator wrote:

Thanks, Darlene for the information. I appreciate your offer to register as a guest but I'm more interested in the admin functions.

Monday, March 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM - Response #6

There is no limit on the number of classmates you can add to your system. I do not know about performance issues, but there are several websites with thousands of classmates added. Since you mention that you have a small number of classmates per year, I don't suspect you would be numbering in the thousands.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.