ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Deleted Gallery Photos

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/17/13 07:34 PM Views: 996 Replies: 12
Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 7:34 PM

One of our classmates posted a photo gallery with over 220 photos. My root and I went through them and decided to eliminate almost half of them which were mostly duplicates. I went into the photo gallery creator, clicked on photos and marked the duplicates to be deleted, thinking that they would just not be displayed. The gallery is now the way we wanted it, but I was looking for the deleted photos in case we want to add some back, but I cannot find them. I looked in the file vault, but all I see are the remaining photos. Are the deleted photos totally out of the system and are they located somewhere that I have not found?

Jim

Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM - Response #1

The Gallery Creator keeps track of the photos it has control of and when you say DELETE, it is really deleted, so it isn't taking up any more space in your file vault.

However, BEFORE YOU DELETE, you can download the gallery to a .zip file so you can have a local copy of the images. But for you, it is probably too late.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 8:22 PM - Response #2

Kyle Erickson wrote:

But for you, it is probably too late.

Kyle is picking on us .. again.

(Just thought that was funny. Nothing more.)

Sunday, February 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM - Response #3

Thanks, I thought it was witty, too.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 1:09 AM - Response #4

How about adding an inactive option to the photo to go along with the delete option? It would give us the option of not displaying a photo in the gallery, but keeping it in the photo vault for possible future use.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 10:58 AM - Response #5

I can circulate the idea, however, I don't believe the idea will be well received internally.

We do not like to add features to Class Creator site that tend to "add clunk" to the interface. In this scenario, we are talking about adding an option that would allow for an admin to use file vault space to store photos that they are not displaying on the site. First off, most people would want to have the space available to them for displaying other photos rather than using it to store photos that are not being used. Second, the interface would now have to have another button on it for a use that we don't think most admins would use. Knowing that when a photo is deleted from the gallery creator interface means that the photo is now gone, if you want to keep copies of that photo before deleting it, I would save a copy to your hard drive to keep as a back up.

I will copy others on this however so that they can review as well.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM - Response #6

Scott,

I understand that admins many not want to use up their storage space with deleted photos, but with my suggestion, they do not have to if they do not want to. My original thought was to provide a delay. If an admin marked a photo for deletion, it would not be displayed, but would remain for a specified period, say and hour or two, so that if a photo was deleted by mistake, there would be a chance to retrieve it. I did not suggest that because I figured it would involve a complicated software re-write, so I suggested the inactive option.

Thanks for all you and the team do.

Jim

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 12:27 PM - Response #7

Bummer.

I tend to think of everyone in most cases... not just what works for me. I do download photos into a cloud storage space... just to be safe. But I look at this subject from the new to more experienced admin.

• They are unaware/have not found or understand why it is best to download classmates photos.
  • A classmate uploads 100+ photos from the reunion. The admin is so thrilled that the point of downloading the photos first simply slips his/her mind.

There may be more possibilities to add to this, yet I move on.

Any one of us can accidentally remove a photo from the photo gallery that we do not want to lose - especially when there are two and you have to go back and forth between them when deciding which you wish to remove. THIS is a very good reason that the photos should not be deleted from the system.

I admit it. Until now, I did not realize the photos were actually deleted from the File Vault because the were in the VAULT. Get it? A vault is a safe - a safety net, so to speak.

So I vote that photos not be removed automatically. I agree that keeping all of those deleted photos is not ideal but there must be a solution. I'm sure CC understands the "On NO!" moment of losing one or more photos. Jim knows it and I'm sure he is not alone.

Have a great week, everyone! Cool

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM - Response #8

I'm with Scott on this one. One more thing to explain! Having more and more special rules is not a good thing. What's intuitive to one is pure mystery to another.

The more important thing is to learn data management skills. And that is downloading EVERYTHING from the site that you have created/uploaded. By that, I also mean the content pages.

My soapboxArrow That's why the FTP interface should really move up the list of things to offer. It solves many many issues automagically, from mass deletions, mass uploads and mass backups. Yes, that is also one more thing to learn, but it's a STANDARD way of doing things.

There is a FREE ftp program that is excellent -FileZilla.

It's actually very easy to use since it works more or less like your desktop folder movements. The only difficult thing is setting it up the first time if you've never done this. The rest, no sweat

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM - Response #9

One more thing... please follow along.

Anywhere on my site, I post a photo or graphic... in an announcement, on a page or in the navigational link announcement area above photo galleries.

At some point later, I remove the photo or graphic.

Is that photo or graphic automatically deleted from the File Vault because I removed it from my site?

If so... oh no!Shocked
If not... huh? I read Scott's explanation and understand it. Yet why one and not the other?

Just asking what I feel is an obvious question for this thread.

Replacing sunglasses, it is that bright today! Cool

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM - Response #10

Thanks, Jack. I am looking for a response from above.

(LOL Sorry, it just came out! :lolSmile

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM - Response #11

Jack, I've been very quiet and ignored most of your 'knowledge' as better than the rest of us. In your last post, you wrote: "The biggest hurdle CC faces is getting just average non IT users to learn how to create web sites. And then how to make guys like me happy."

In your eyes, I and others may be "just average" but we'd never tout how much better we are in things that you are not - as you have.

I'm totally disappointed in your comment. Go insult others someplace other than here. We treat each other with respect here.

My apologies to Class Creator and Brad if this upsets them, but Jack's comment was not acceptable.

Monday, February 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM - Response #12

Like I said above, "you never know". I'm really stumped at this response. It's why I really do not want to get involved at times. I have way more radical ideas for CC customizations.

The business model of CC is what it is. It's certainly not made for web developers.

I know what I know because I've been in development for 50 years and have taught many classes on same. Don't see anything wrong with referencing a skill set. Some here often reference their "IT" background. Wrong?

I deleted my post since it's not worth it.

Edited 02/18/13 2:32 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.