ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Missed birthdays

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/27/14 12:14 PM Views: 1219 Replies: 22
Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 12:14 PM

A classmate has responded that he feels neglected because the system keeps forgetting his birthday. It notifies us about birthdays of other classmates. The day is noted correctly in his profile. Please advise.
Irma

Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 2:16 PM - Response #1

Our system does not send birthday notices to the person who is having the birthday. We assume they already know Wink

Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 2:59 PM - Response #2

I had a similar classmate a few weeks ago that inferred that his name did not appear on the Home Page with the rest of the 'listed' Birthdays. It showed for me, so not sure what his problem might have been. We also did have his birthday on record.

Maybe my classmate forgot and got the wrong month.......LOL

Edited 03/27/14 3:00 PM
Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 3:01 PM - Response #3

Scott, you are joking aren't you? I read this inquiry as the poor guy doesn't get any Happy Birthday greetings from his classmates because the system doesn't send a notice to his classmates that he is having a birthday. Are you saying he has no friends? Birthday greeting are an important communidation tool for our small class of 105 remaining souls. Laughing Beverly

Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 3:18 PM - Response #4

If you give me his Last name, I can view his Notify Me settings.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM - Response #5

We had a similar situation, but the real problem was he didn't see his birthday on the upcoming birthdays on the homepage. When I explained he wouldn't and asked if he'd gotten a birthday greeting from the website, he had. Just not many faithful in doing that it seems. Several on our website have the notifications turned off and many older folks don't frequently check their e-mails. Perhaps some of your classmates don't know how to message through the website. Just assure him that he is properly entered and see that his name is on the upcoming birthdays from your login.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM - Response #6

He does know his own birth date Scott, and the date has been listed in the past, but something is different this year, and his birthday did not appear.

His name is John Robert Weis. We'd appreciate it if you would check it out.
Irma

Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM - Response #7

John's Birthday was back on 3/22. For a matter of 15 seconds, I logged in as John and change the birthday to 3/28. I went to the homepage and it was listed. I then set the birthday back to 3/22.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 4:07 PM - Response #8

So, I want to make sure I understand this, as I did have a classmate a few weeks ago say his name was not on the Home Page listing.

I understand the system would not SEND the classmate an email reminding him of his own birthday. However, am I think I am hearing that he is also not LISTED on Home Page when he logs on to the website. That was what confused me, as I could see him as myself logged in. If this is the case, what is wrong with the birthday classmate just SEEING his name on the Home Page. No email to him of course, but he should still see himself listed along with everyone else.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 4:27 PM - Response #9

The "UPCOMING BIRTHDAYS" module always shows EVERYONE'S birthday if they have entered their birthday in the system and allowed others to know about their birthday. It will even show the person logged in if they are having a birthday in the next few days.

NOTE: If the ADMIN has entered the birthday for the classmate and the classmate has not entered their own birthday, then the birthday is considered for the admin's information only and it is not displayed to any other classmates. In order for the birthday to be displayed to others, it must be entered by the classmate and the classmate needs to change their profile to make sure that they "Allow Classmates to view my Birthday" checkbox is checked.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 5:09 PM - Response #10

Thank you Scott. It may have been that John did not see his name on the list, and I was away and didn't check it either. I sent him belated birthday greetings, so I hope that is the end of the complaint.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM - Response #11

Scott, in the couple of events we had all but the alum's name & e-mail address is entered by the alum. The latest I dug into a little more and he couldn't see his birthday but I could as admin and his friends could. So that doesn't align with your explanation. This was all handled on his birthday. Kent Converse is his name.

Friday, March 28, 2014 at 3:18 PM - Response #12

I just logged in as Kent, and I could see his Birthday on his profile. We just don't send an upcoming birthday notice to someone, for their own birthday.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 at 8:11 AM - Response #13

Good information!

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 at 6:32 PM - Response #14

I had to go in and change someones birthday because she mistakingly put in the wrong month and she couldn't figure out how to go back and change it because it was so long ago. After going to my own profile, I didn't see where I could enter a birthday. I just want to get her on the sidebar where it shows Upcoming Birthdays.

Thanks! Love the new Class Chatter tab. At least that's what we call it.
Nancy

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 at 9:30 PM - Response #15

Birthdays are on the DETAILS page, not the PROFILE page. If you edit your EDIT CONTACT INFO page, you should see your birthday field to change. To change it for the classmate, go to Manage Classmates, Enter/Edit Classmate, then DETAILS for the classmate.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at 12:16 AM - Response #16

Understood. So does she still have to go in to her EDIT CONTACT INFO page and make the change herself to see her birthday listed on the right of our Home Page even though I changed it? I think that's what you meant in one of your previous posts. Sorry about the confusion.
Thanks!

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at 8:16 AM - Response #17

Yes, SHE needs to add her birthday if she wants classmates to see it. Invisible to the classmate and the admin, there are really TWO birthday fields. If the admin enters the birthday, the "for Admins only" birthday gets set (no classmates will ever see it unless they have access to the Manage Classmates page). The other birthday entry field is found on the Edit Contact Info page. This can only be modified by the classmate and if they enter a birthday on this page, it shows up on the "Upcoming Birthdays" module (if they allow it by saying they want to show it to classmates). If the classmate modifies their birthday field and enters good values, the Admin Birthday field will get updated to the new values. If the classmate deletes their birthday from their Edit Contact Info page, it does not modify the birthday entered on the Admin Birthday field, so you will still have the values that were originally entered by the classmate if they decide to delete their birthdate.

Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 2:33 PM - Response #18

We have 3 classmates who checked their birthdays to be shown and they weren't. Mary Stoutamoyer, Sheryl Hulva, and Vance Lausman. I am the only administrator who actually makes changes for people and I didn't enter any of them. I did go into Mary's and re-entered it after it didn't show up. Where do I go from here?

Monday, November 24, 2014 at 11:01 AM - Response #19

The names of people that you say their birthdays did not display all have birth dates that are 1-2 months ago. It is easier for us to diagnose an issue like this when there is an active issue. In other words, the next time that someone is supposed to be showing up on the upcoming birthdays and is not, please let us know right away so we can take a closer look. If I go in and adjust any of their birthdays so that they have an upcoming date (next few days), they do show up successfully.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 9:10 PM - Response #20

Barbara Burmaster Westfall in Bloomington High School Class of 1962. Her birthday is tomorrow and it doesn't show up where it's supposed to.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 9:12 PM - Response #21

Never mind, she died.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 9:57 PM - Response #22

Sorry she died, but glad you no longer have the issue you were reporting.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.