ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

file vault

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 10/17/14 07:34 AM Views: 1950 Replies: 18
Friday, October 17, 2014 at 7:34 AM

I have exceeded my limit and cannot upload any more. I have gone into my file vault, where I see I have a lot of duplicate files uploaded. Is there a way to delete multiple files in the vault? I have been deleting them one by one, which is very time consuming and tedious!
Thanks!

Friday, October 17, 2014 at 4:33 PM - Response #1

As of right now, the only way is to delete them one by one.

Friday, October 17, 2014 at 5:39 PM - Response #2

Currently storing 868.19 MB of available 1000 MB (at 86.82% capacity)

I began deleting duplicates & pics that are not longer being used; however, the number isn't changing, still 86.82% - after deleting about 30 items.

Then I received a pop-up which indicated that I could purchase more vault space. When I clicked on it, I could only purchase more time.

Confused Smile
Thanks,
lisa

Friday, October 17, 2014 at 5:43 PM - Response #3
Gallery_Photos_question.pdf

This may be along the same lines ... a couple questions ...

1) Is there a purpose for multiple image names in the gallery?

In the Gallery (see attached pdf with screen shot & links (woodwardclassof65.com) there are duplicate image names. However, clicking on any of the same duplicate name only toggles one of the filenames to bring up the image.

2) Is there a way to see the size of the files in the Gallery as there happens in lower section of files in the File Vault for those files not in a folder?

Thanks, in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Mark woodwardclassof65.com

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 at 6:02 PM - Response #4

Hi Mark,

I'll check with the programmers on the names and file sizes. I think the names are being truncated and its listing the location of the file name before the file name but I'll have to double check.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 4:06 PM - Response #5

This link will show you the galleries and the file sizes that are taken up by each gallery... http://www.woodwardclassof65.com/class_admin_fv_space.cfm

Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 9:36 AM - Response #6
Gallery_Photos_question.pdf

Scott, thank you, as usual. That is definitely useful information and has enabled me to delete images to reduce usage. And, as you might expect, some follow-up questions:

Before taking your time to answer these,
1) if there are explanations available somewhere you can point me to, I'll be glad to reference them to save your time.
2) if I'm crossing over into developer/programmer/CC-admin territory, let me know as, while I'm trying to understand more, I'm not currently looking for a job Very Happy

Is there a way for admins to generate (easily) that type of data (gallery image sizes)?

What is the difference between "Editor Images" and "Editor Files"?

Why are there duplicate names under the "Gallery Photos" section of the "File Vault"? Yet, apparently, the same image under each of the duplicate file names? (see attached PDF)

I apologize for all the questions due to my confusion about the File Vault vs. the Galleries and appreciate any time/info you can provide.

Thanks, as usual,

Mark

Thursday, October 30, 2014 at 12:15 PM - Response #7

RE: This link will show you the galleries and the file sizes that are taken up by each gallery... http://www.woodwardclassof65.com/class_admin_fv_space.cfm

Any chance a hyperlink can be placed by CC on all 'Gallery Creator' pages to do this?
I tried substituting my school/year, and could not get it to work.
Laughing

Friday, October 31, 2014 at 12:15 PM - Response #8

Steve - this is yours... http://www.classcreator.com/Freeport-TX-Brazosport-1970/class_admin_fv_space.cfm Bookmark it for now Wink

Friday, October 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM - Response #9

Mark ...
1) if there are explanations available somewhere you can point me to, I'll be glad to reference them to save your time. ANSWER : Not that I know of...

2) if I'm crossing over into developer/programmer/CC-admin territory, let me know as, while I'm trying to understand more, I'm not currently looking for a job Very Happy Is there a way for admins to generate (easily) that type of data (gallery image sizes)? ANSWER : No really. The extent is the link I provided above.

What is the difference between "Editor Images" and "Editor Files"? ANSWER : Not sure that I am clear on the question. However let me take a stab at it.. Typically, images are added via the Image button and are then located in the File Vault that is specific to these images. All other documents (files) are uploaded via the Link button into a File Vault that is specific to these particular files. That might be the difference.

Why are there duplicate names under the "Gallery Photos" section of the "File Vault"? ANSWER : I think what you are seeing are directory names. As you drill down I think you are seeing the names of the contributor, not file names.

Yet, apparently, the same image under each of the duplicate file names? ANSWER : I think the structure is as follows : Page Name : Gallery Name : Contributor : Image Files

Friday, October 31, 2014 at 3:38 PM - Response #10

Besides what Scott wrote, this is the more technical difference:

As you realize, all Images are Files but not all Files are Images.

In the CC editor, they happen to be connected to how the Editor file system works (is organized).

You can't put any "file" in the 'Images' file vault folder because it checks that there is a legitimate image/picture format in the 'file' being uploaded, however, you CAN put anything in the 'File' file vault folder (the code doesn't check the content) - meaning you can also put 'images' there for manual reference.

The "File" folder is a bit better for very large (dimension) images since the "Images" folder actually messes with image sizes if it exceeds predetermined limits (reduces the dimensions).

Mark Abrams wrote:

What is the difference between "Editor Images" and "Editor Files"?

Edited 10/31/14 3:39 PM
Tuesday, November 11, 2014 at 11:28 PM - Response #11

Hi. I am a new co-administrator and have a question about the file vault pictures. A 45th reunion is being planned and they would like some pictures from our website to give to the photograper (for a slide show). They already had the pics that are in Photo Gallery on CDs. The ones they want me to give photographer are only in the file vault. There appears to be no way to take them from file vault, and zip into file for photographer. Other than maybe right click and save one at a time onto my computer.

The administrator that originally scanned and uploaded does not seem to have files. Would that be the best option for getting to a downloadable format (the original files if she finds them). Or is there some way to get these files grouped from file vault and downloaded to my computer?

I have not worked in file vault until trying to figure this out today. I was hoping the ones she wanted were in Photo Gallery since I saw they were downloadable. Darn. Thanks for any help!

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at 1:41 PM - Response #12

As the admin, you can go to Gallery Creator and next to each gallery, there will be a link to the right that says Download. This will download all the images in that particular gallery. Additionally, if you wanted other images from the profiles, you can go to Manage Classmates and scroll to the bottom of the page to locate other download links.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at 2:50 PM - Response #13

Hi Scott - Thanks for the information. I think I am having a different probably. I was hoping the pics they wanted were the ones in gallery, I had seen where they can easily be downloaded. But these are pages from the yearbook and pictures that were scanned back in 2009 and appear as one long document when I go to edit pages. When I doubleclick on each page of the yearbook, It brings up the image properties window. Each page has a .jpg extension. When I select File Vault on image properties page, I can see each of the yearbook. I just notices also in the left top there is a box that says "Image". I sorted my file vault list by date and could see all of the pages in this yearbook. Lots of other images in the folder also but I can see the ones I am trying to download for photographer. Can these "image" files that are not in the photo gallery be downloaded?
Thanks

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at 3:11 PM - Response #14

I think you are referring to downloading the Yearbook images. That is at the bottom of the Manage Classmates page. It has its own button at the bottom of the page.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM - Response #15
Yearbook page.JPG

Hi Scott - Maybe I am confused. These are not yearbook pictures of individuals that are on their profile pages. It is the complete yearbook that the administrator scanned back in 2009 every page (she said took a very long time) and when you double click on one of the pages you get what I have attached, a jpg file that I see in the file vault.

Don't worry, I will see if the committee can use the individual Yearbook images you mentioned. I just downloaded those to a zip file. An administrator may have already given them those for a prior event but if not, they will be terrific. Good to know we can do so much with the pictures the classmates post.

Thanks, Maggie

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM - Response #16

Except for the gallery and the small yearbook images in profiles, ALL other images in the file vault can be downloaded one at a time by right clicking and saving (as you noticed). But wait there's more.

There is a little trick that can make it much faster for the FireFox browser (maybe others too - but if Chrome doesn't do this, it's worth it to download FF just for this one task).

Here's how to do this to get them all images downloaded at the same time:

Go into your file vault folder and then click on each image you want. Click the leftmost little icon (says jpg, png or gif). The image will display right there in the file vault. Keep doing this till you get all the ones you want (or just few to test how this works).

Now in FF go to the URL bar and click the little icon right to the left of the URL shown (it should say "this website does not supply identity information).

Click More information.
Click Media.

In the top panel all your images will be displayed (including ones that are just part of the page).

How you select the ones you want will depend on what you need. If you hold the Ctrl key down and then left mouse click on each name it will build a list of all the ones you clicked. You can also right click and select ALL then again hold the Ctrl key down and left click to remove those you don't want (all the fckeditor ones for example).

Next click Save As on the lower right of the dialog.

Select a Folder you want these to be download too and click Select Folder. (You might want to create a folder on your system ahead of time - for example, HighSchoolFileVault Wink )

All those files will be downloaded in ONE download. You can manually remove any you don't want on your computer.

Hope that made sense.

(P.S. Just checked Chrome. It doesn't by default allow this. There might be an addon you can download ?)

Edited 11/12/14 4:15 PM
Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at 4:13 PM - Response #17

Sorry. I see now. There is not a download for that specific set of images. They are in the file vault with all the other site images. You would need to do a right click and save as to save these to your computer.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 at 4:16 PM - Response #18

Thanks Scott and Jack!
I was able to do one at a time by right clicking but couldn't figure out a trick! Jack, thanks, I'll try that.

I did just send her the zip file of the individual pics, I had not explored that area yet since becoming an administrator. Very cool.

Thanks again.
maggie

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.