ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

One classmate changed another's profile

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/13/13 05:48 AM Views: 1190 Replies: 10
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 5:48 AM

One of our classmates logged in and changed another classmates profile to reflect his own personal information. I'm guessing he didn't mean to do this. Later he logged in and changed his own profile correctly, but the other classmate's info was still wrong. In fact, he changed her name to his own so she didn't even show up in the class list.
I have changed it all back, but how does that happen?I thought only the classmate could change their own info. Or do I have some setting wrong? Please help.
His name was A. Myers and hers was F. Ernst.

Edited 11/13/13 5:49 AM
Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM - Response #1

You would have received an email notification of the name change. If the classmate has since joined under his actual name, you can simply go to Manage Classmates > Enter / Edit Classmates > and Delete next to the profile that was changed. You can then re-enter the previously changed classmate by using the Add New Member button at the top of the page. If you turn on Classmate Verification on the Preferences page, if this ever happens again, you can simply not verify that account and instead use the option that would return the profile to the original state.

Right now F Ernst is showing up as having joined the site. Although that was because A Myers joined on her profile. You easiest option here is to remove that record and add it back in to the system as a new member.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM - Response #2

If the person he changed all the info was a joined classmate..he would have to have her password to log in as her??? Or was it a admin who put in her info and she hadn't joined yet??? I would investigate this further. Doesn't sound right to me!Rolling Eyes

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM - Response #3

Darlene, I have the same concern. I am the only admin and I entered her basic information when I set up the site, including her name, married name and email address. The other classmate when he joined the site somehow replaced her name and email address with his own, and added his address and birthday and other information. How could he change someone else's information?

Scott, I understand how to fix it, but need to know how this happened in the first place. I'd appreciate your response. Thanks so much.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM - Response #4

Did she actually join???? If she did..he had her password..but if it's just you who put her info in..then he hit the wrong profile and changed her name.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM - Response #5

She had not previously joined. But I thought only the classmate or an admin can change ones profile. Not so?

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM - Response #6

If she had not joined yet, anyone can join for that classmate. All they have to do is click the JOIN HERE and then click on any of the classmate names and start filling out the profile. I think that A Myers joined for some reason and didn't click his own name, but instead clicked her name by mistake.

There was no way for us to know that it was NOT the classmate who said it was when they clicked the JOIN HERE link.

This FAQs might be helpful...
http://www.classcreator.com/faqs.cfm#hijacking

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 5:21 PM - Response #7

Yep...what Kyle said. Your classmate clicked on the wrong profile to join. No safeguards could prevent that from happening...Somebody clacked when they should have clicked!Rolling EyesShocked

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM - Response #8

Thank you all so much. I am still not really comfortable with the possibility that someone can update another's profile. I thought that mismatching email addresses might prevent that.
But no harm done, I guess.
You are all wonderful! Thanks.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 12:16 AM - Response #9

I can see how this could easily happen since admin entered data is 'unofficial' until verified or edited when someone joins. But you'd think that the person who clicked on the wrong name would have realized he was in the wrong place when it wasn't his name. And if he hadn't gone back to join under his own name, it might have taken a while to notice you had two members with the same name in your list - and one name no longer there - since an admin verify would have seen data which appeared to be valid.

This problem could easily be prevented though, if the first and last/maiden name for pre-entered classmates could only be changed by an admin. And locking the name for anybody-can-join sites when the join completes is a good idea too. Locking the name would also prevent anyone from temporarily changing their name to email someone as a joke - as has been reported elsewhere in these forums.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 at 1:05 PM - Response #10

When a person comes into a profile for the first time, none of the information that you entered is presented to the joining member. So, if the person ad accidentally clicked to join while on another person's profile join page, they would not see that persons info, and they would go through the join process as if they were on their own profile. The exception in this case is that when that person changes the name info, you as the admin, are notified of the change. This situation does not happen very often, but can happen from time to time. If this is a concern to, I would recommend the New Classmate Verification option that we provide on the Preferences page. Set the setting to Do Not Allow. This means that you will need to verify your new members. If something does not look right, you can easily set the profile back to its original state.

There are many legitimate reasons that someone would need to update the name as it is stated in the system, and most of the time it is not an issue. For example, if I had named my son Scott Jr and wanted to go by Scott Sr., I should be able to add that without any issue in the system. But this is also why we inform the admin of these kinds of changes when they occur.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.